No Mac Pro: Not Fair

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by VirtuallyReal, Jun 7, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Ok i really need to say this:

Dear Steve, you have proven to be a very bright mind, so you should be more than aware of the fact that we, the Pro consumers segment, have a different set of needs and behavior, compared to the the average "home/individual" consumers you serve. We are not (only) driven by the hype of the latest cool device in town, or the actions of trend-setters... no, we actually make budget plans and forecasts in order to buy new hardware.

We love Macs, we even depend on Macs, but we not only LIKE them, we actually NEED them, so we can get some work done.

As individual consumers, we can afford the wait. We actually love it, the whole drama and suspense around it; as individual consumers, we can do fine with our current hardware until the next big thing hits the market; we're just concerned about having to delay the showing-off of our new iPhone 4 to your friends for the next two weeks. no biggie; but pro-sumers.... man we need our stuff, and we need it ASAP.

If the main focus of the company (Apple) is now deviated from us pro users, to the trend-setting "gadgeteers", and now everything revolves 100% on gadgets such as iPads, iPhones and iPods, it would be advisable to use a different, parallel and completely divorced strategy for us Pro consumers; in other words, dear Steve:

WE NEED TO KNOW IF THE NEW MAC PRO IS COMING OUT OR NOT, AND IF SO, WHEN WILL IT BE RELEASED.
    I love Macs, always have, and probably always will, but i just can't afford this enigma anymore.

Pro gear is for people with schedules, keep the suspense for the people who can afford it.

2. macrumors regular

You're not in the target market for a Mac Pro if you're "losing" work by not having the newest one.

3. thread starter macrumors member

I'm losing work because i sold equipment and made buying plans based on the availability of new Mac Pro's by June.

Don't just jump into conclusions that easily.

4. macrumors regular

You jumped to the conclusion that new Mac Pros would be available when Apple gave you absolutely no indication thereof and has historically never given you any information of point updates to existing products. :rolleyes:

What evidence did you have that a new Mac Pro would be available at WWDC other than the availability of Gulftown chips? Historically, chip availability has meant nothing to the Mac Pro line.

5. macrumors 6502

Why would you form plans around a product that no one knows the release date of? Sorry, but that just doesn't make any sense. If you sold your equipment already, you have no one to blame but yourself...

6. macrumors member

?
    I don't understand what that means. I am in the pro video/film business and I need VERY fast machines to edit HD footage. I've been waiting for an update of the MacPro for months now because I need more processing power to edit and render feature-length movies. On a current tricked-out MacPro, rendering my current movie takes 8 hours -- WAY too long and it can only be done over night, which means that I lose precious (and expensive) time.

So yes, professionals DO lose money by Apple delaying -- again -- the release of an updated MacPro (which hasn't been updated for more than a year).

It is a GREAT disappointment for me that Apple continues to focus on the consumer market (iPad and iPhone, both contents consumption gear) and neglects the professionals (contents creation).

7. macrumors 65816

Techhie

Methinks the OP needs to reconsider the reasons he classifies as a "pro." his actions suggest the goals of an enthusiast.

8. macrumors regular

How is it a delay when it was never announced? The Mac Pro has always taken over a year to update, as well.

9. thread starter macrumors member

It's been 462 days since the last Mac Pro update (the Average on the last 8 years has been 236 days) so that's twice the time they "historically" update this particular product.

The point of this thread is exactly that: Pro consumers deserve to have RELIABLE time frames.

This product (Mac PRO... noticed the "PRO" in it?) is for work, is not a matter of trends or fashion; if you don't get it, then you are just posting on the wrong thread, my friend.

10. macrumors 6502a

Intel has said there is a short term shortage of Gulftown chips. Why on earth would you sell your machines?

The cost of running your computers for 8 hours over night is all part of your job and the costs that are included in it. The new Mac Pros are not going to reduce this by too much. I bet you will still render over night.

11. macrumors regular

The average on the Buyer's Guide is fallacious and irrelevant as the Mac Pro is not dependent on PowerPC chip launches. The first Mac Pro and the second Mac Pro were released 518 days apart, and the gap between the second and third is similar to the current gap.

Your reliable time frame is "over a year between releases". Your time frame is based on Intel's creation of chips, nothing more. If you dislike the time between updates, take it up with Intel first.

12. macrumors member

I agree that selling equipment based on a rumor is not a wise move ;), but if you look at the release history of the MacPro product line, you will see that an update is long overdue. I have set aside money for a new MacPro months ago because I urgently need it for my business, and Apple still keeps me waiting, forces me to work on relatively slow machines and doesn't allow me to work more efficient.

I think it is clear that Apple decided a while ago to focus more & more on consumers than on professionals for which there is ample of evidence (e.g., still no BlueRay support, slower updates of their pro line of gear, slower updates of their pro software, etc).

If they keep focusing on product consumption, I might be forced to switch to a PC. I hate the idea but a feeling creeps inside me that I can longer afford to postpone. If you go to a pro film maker forum you'd be surprised how many people are pissed by Apple and how they are switching to PCs in droves!

13. macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

The Mac Pro is probably at an end

Apple just needs to sell OS X as a standalone operating system. They can keep making laptops, but an OS X for system builders would be nice.

14. macrumors 6502a

That will never happen.

15. macrumors member

It doesn't matter if he made plans thinking a new MacPro would be announced today. Don't bash the guy!

The fact is that we've been waiting too long and we didn't get what a lot of us wanted today. so.. FRAK YOU Apple, Frak you in the bite on your apple.
    :apple: C===B

16. macrumors member

No true: If a client wants to see changes in his movie (that I create for him) and it would take 5 hours instead of 8 or 10, I could send him the update the same day instead of the next day. That make a BIG difference if you run a business.

17. macrumors 6502

wow, your silly!
    without a doubt the mac pro and imac will be updated before the ipod september event.
    yet the mac mini and macbook air it really looks like they will be held out till next year. Seems like apple have better things to do than put an insignificant bump on a product that will need a big overhaul soon.

18. thread starter macrumors member

Gosh you guys are fast on judging people! ja!

Techhie... one can be a "pro", an "enthusiast", or a little bit of both; but a masters degree and over 17 years of Marketing experience have taught me that as consumers, the purpose and application for each buy defines the particular motivations, and triggers different rational or emotional reactions regarding it.

I'm both, i Use a Mac Pro on a Recording Studio, and everything else (MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad, iPhone) in the emotionally-driven enthusiast role you are implying i exclusively belong.

My decision was rational and based on facts; instead of getting the Nahalem i decided to wait, and been waiting for months now. and now im not happy. is that simple.

19. macrumors 6502a

Yes, but, if the technology doesn't allow it then thats just part of the costs of running a business. I can understand that a newer Mac Pro would somewhat decrease this cost but i wouldn't say the lack of an update is costing you.

20. thread starter macrumors member

Intel's new chip has been around for over a month. Thanks.

21. macrumors member

I agree. However, Apple is going to great lengths to push technologies for consumer devices and I cannot say that I see a big effort on their part to do the same for professionals (both software and hardware).

Don't you think there's a clear trend emerging that Apple sees it future in the contents consumption market instead of the contents creation segment? It used to be the other way round. Apple products used to be the weapon of choice for people in the creative business segments (ad agencies, graphics designer, movie makers, etc) but I see more & more professionals who are forced to leave Apple because they have no other choice (especially in terms of pro software).

22. thread starter macrumors member

Is not like a whole factory stopped because of this particular sell... i just sold an early 2008 Mac Pro, early enough to hold most of its value, and hoping to wait no more than 2 months to get the new one, which is said to be much more energy efficient, yet more powerful, so i think that's actually a smart move ;)

i'm still good until the end of June, after that i would have to consider what to do if the update is rumored as late as October

23. thread starter macrumors member

100% with you on this one.

24. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Maybe Apple should start making Windows tools for building iApps because it appears they are conceding the high end desktop to Microsoft, sad to say.

25. macrumors 6502a

Oh yes. Of course. They're a business, they're following the money. Steve Jobs said at the All Things Digital Conference that he see's computing now entering into the 'post PC era' with things like iPad and iPhone. I know you can debate on weather a Mac Pro is a PC as it isn't intended for personal use. But if you think of PC as a form factor, you generally think of a tower, at least i do.

I completely disagree with people who say the Mac Pro is dead. It isn't. In fact i think the Mac Pro will be the last to go in this transition to 'post PC.' It's going to be a long time until something of an upcoming form factor can replace the power of those beasts.

The reason, i believe, the Mac Pros are late on the refresh this time round is due to the chip shortage that intel has spoken of. I also think it is bizarre to expect a Mac Pro to be announced at a developer conference. Some developers use Mac Pros, but its not their intentional use.

It's for these reasons i don't understand how the OP could be so convinced that he would sell his current machines. I just don't get that.