No macbook keyboard during boot camp xp install

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by weeag, Dec 28, 2006.

1. weeag macrumors regular

I've seen a couple of posts about this but no solutions.

When I boot up with the XP disk I get to the selection screen for either Home or Pro (MSDN version) and I can't make a selection because the keyboard is non-responsive. I've tried several times with no success.

I've got a MacBook c2d with the latest OS and firmware updates.
    Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B00
    SMC Version: 1.13f3

Any help would be most appreciated by me and others with the same problem.

Thanks

2. transien macrumors newbie

Im tried last night to install my MSDN copy on to my macbook pro C2D and I met with the same issue.

The disc i was using was the MSDN disc that like yours presents you with the choice between Pro or home. As my copy was one of the original ones ie pre SP1 i had already slipstreamed SP2 into the pro section of the disc. which leaves me wondering if by slipstreaming sp2 in it has left out some of the updates from sp1.

When it showed the choice screen and i tried to chose between the two versions the up and down keys would not work i then attempted to try with a USB windows keyboard with no sucsess.

I had a quick look around but found no one with a similar issue who had managed to get it working .

In the end i gave up and installed a copy of RC1 vista that i had lieing around(which makes the MBP make a rarther odd high pitched noise :-( ).

but i would much rarther have XP on it.

Im going to keep on looking to see if i can find a solution and will post back if i do.

3. Dhivael macrumors newbie

Actually right before christmas I was trying to set XP up on my friend's new Macbook Pro, since it worked on mine, I figured it wouldnt be hard to set up bootcamp. WRONG. Same issue. I get bootcamp set up, the partition, dandy. I go to install XP, and it starts running then says "Press enter to continue" The keyboard doesnt work. I tried a couple diffrent USB Keyboards, but it still hasnt worked.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!!!! Thanks.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Download a Home-only or Pro-only version with SP2 and try again. I'm using Pro with SP2 from MSDN and it works perfectly.

5. transien macrumors newbie

yep that works but its the easy way. Its far more fun to try and fit the square peg in the round hole ;-).

6. Dhivael macrumors newbie

Wait, so you're suggesting that you Download the OS from MSDN and create a slipdisk? I don't have a subscription, is that the only fix?

7. WICKEDfour macrumors newbie

Unplug All Peripherals First?

I just had a problem like this tonight that seemed to resolve quickly if you just unplug any USB/FireWire/whatever mice, keyboards, or peripherals from the MacBook Pro.

In my case, I had a Mighty Mouse plugged into a C2D MacBook Pro. Neither the built-in keyboard nor a USB keyboard I plugged in after reboot responded, but once everything except the power cable was unplugged, the keyboard worked. Stupidly simple, but, well, give that a try, perhaps?

8. weeag thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies everyone... I don't have any USB devices plugged in.

I have also tried using a XP Home only disk and the same problem occurs. At one point in the instillation it asks to make a choice with the keyboard and I can't do anything (It asks to hit 'Enter' to install, 'R' to repair an installation and 'F3' to quit). I thought perhaps it was not SP2 and that had something to do with it but I don't think that's the problem.

More research into this for a solution would be extremely helpful (perhaps some type of preloadable driver that could be added to a bootable install disk?)

9. moneywrangler macrumors newbie

re-no keyboard

I had the same problem and searched all over the forums. The right solution for me was to make sure I had the right installer disk. I had a copy of XP home from a Dell I abused for 5 months last year. I had the same problem of the installation not recognizing the keys. I bought a OEM version of XP home - made sure it was SP2, and all went well.

10. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I've been Boot-Camping customer machines for several months now and this one's a new twist in the las month. I've seen it two ways:

The Keyboard is DOA as soon as you reboot to install XP.

The Keyboard is fine until you install the Apple drivers, afterwhich XP bluescreens and reboots with a DOA Keyboard.

In both cases I've been able to get around the issue by plugging in a generic ANSI USB keyboard/mouse (kensington, M$, Logitech, non-mighty mouse Apple, etc.). This allows getting to F8 in time in the second case (usually too corrupt to bother though) and allows config of the first case.

It seems that Bootcamp Beta 1.1.2 has some glitches as far as drivers go. Hit or miss too: I've had it go perfectly on one machine and then glitch out on another. In two cases the first driver disk I burned was corrupt while a second was fine. Beta software, what can you do? ;)

11. unknownroad macrumors newbie

Can't even return to OS X, stuck in "install windows" phase

I am experiencing similar difficulties with an inactive USB keyboard while attempting to install windows xp. Like some who have already commented, the keyboard input is sometimes recognized for a short time, then it quits, one or two steps into the windows installation process. Unlike any posts I have yet seen, I can't get back to OS X, regardless of whether the windows install cd is in my optical drive. With the disc in drive, it tries to install and my keyboard fails. With the disc not in drive, I get a "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" message. Essentially, my shiny new iMac can't do anything right now.

Edit: Just tried startup with OS X cd in optical drive, still won't boot to OS X, still wants to install windows.
    Hopefully I am missing something that can be done to escape this cycle.

Edit2: Nevermind about not getting back to OS X. I finally figured out that holding down 'c' while booting works. Before I had only read to press either "option/alt" or "command +c".

12. weeag thread starter macrumors regular

Got XP installed!

I tried two different XP disks to slipstream SP2 into. One of the newly burned slipstreamed CD's worked and the other gave me the no keyboard problem. Something weird with the disk I guess.

But it's installed! I can FINALLY play minesweeper! :)

13. mushypeas macrumors newbie

I've had the same problem as described with the installation getting stuck, and after unplugging all devices, and leaving only the mouse plugged in directly into the back of the mac pro the keyboard responds. I have only the monitor's DVI connected and nothing else, I pulled out all USB's and firewire cables that were attached to the monitor cable. Previously I had the mouse and keyboard connected into the USB's of the monitor. The problem wasn't with the XP SP2 CD, as I tried 3 already with the same error. It worked on the same CD after I performed the above.

Good luck!

14. hsv888 macrumors newbie

I had exactly the same problem with my macbook keyboard, the answer is so simple tho, as the instalation starts, simply press shift once and the keyboard should be recognised. i was shocked when i heard this but and more shocked when it actually worked

15. kristof macrumors newbie

same problem

Hi,

I have a brand new Macbook ( yesterday ) with a new installation disk of xp pro SP2.
    I installed bookcamp, started the assistant and follow the instruction. (created a drive disk )
    Then, I put the brand new xp installation disk in the cd drive when the assistant asked me to.
    I got the bleu screen of xp, but the keyboard didn’t work.
    I had my power mouse connected.
    I unplugged it, but still now keyboard. Press shift key, still no keyboard.
    Then I hit the power off bottom,
    I get again the bleu screen, windows xp was start again installation.
    I pressed sometimes the shift key.( don't now if this had any effect)
    And now I can press enter to proceed xp installation.

Regards,

Kristof

16. jooky macrumors newbie

Please Help

hi everyone,

i'm not the most computer saavy person and have just bought the macbook core duo (not core 2 duo) in BLACK.

have wasted literally about 4 hours trying to install windows xp.

downloaded and installed bootcamp, then popped in the windows xp. got the blue screen, then keyboard goes DOA as so many of you have reported. have tried pressing shift, which makes the keyboard respond, but the keyboard eventually dies again before the screen where you have to press ENTER to continue. have tried removing disk, and get "enter boot disk" onto the screen. I really don't know what else to do.

how do i install xp when the shifting won't help?

PLEASE HELP!!!
    hours of frustration and presentation to do.

PS: tried pressing C while rebooting and was unable to get back to OS

17. mmk macrumors newbie

USB keyboard

I first installed XP SP2 with bootcamp and it all worked fine. Then I installed Parallels to use my existing installation from the bootcamp partition, but when I run windows again natively, I was suppose to select the profile (Parallels creates its own hardware profile), but the keyboard was not working. I had to boot in Windows from Parallels and set a timeout to that selection.
    The second time this problem was a major headache was when I tried to install Vista, as it was not possible for me to "Press a key to boot from CD"... I finally was able to use a USB keyboard.
    I did not try the SHIFT thing. Gonna see if it works next time.

18. ChunkAhoy macrumors member

ChunkAhoy

I have the EXACT same problem with boot camp and parallels.
    How do you set up these timers again ?

19. agentollie macrumors newbie

I had exactly the same problem with my macbook keyboard, the answer is so simple tho, as the instalation starts, simply press shift once and the keyboard should be recognised. i was shocked when i heard this but and more shocked when it actually worked

Wow thanks this worked for me!
    Welcome everyone to the wonderful world of windows where sh#t never works like it should! Only reason Im installing windows is to use my stupid canon laser that canon are refusing to make leopard drivers for.... tight ass#es!

Peace....

20. ninjasmurf macrumors newbie

answer to dead keyboard during boot camp xp install

greetings. i want to make sure this answer gets around. i unplugged everything from the back of the computer but the keyboard. no harddrives, no printers. i even unplugged the mouse from the keyboard. only then did it work. hope no one else ever has to sweat this. have a peaceful day.

21. Gazza111 macrumors newbie

This worked for me

The tip from the last post didn't work for me until I disconnected the mouse and only had the keyboard connected when I started up from the Windows CD.

So to clarify try booting up with only the keyboard plugged in and not the mouse.