'No Man, No Problem': Highlights of "Remedies to Judicial Tyranny"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Apr 11, 2005.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    And the overreaching of authority continues...
  2. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    there are two things which i'm surprised i've not seen in my lifetime:
    1. a sniper, on game day, taking out the star player of a rival sports team
    2. the assassination of a supreme court justice

in other news, what does it say about how far right the GOP has strayed when they're talking about removing a reagan appointee?
  3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    The neocons are trying for a bloodless revolution (unless you count foreign wars). If they see themselves as fading/faltering, you can be assured things'll get ugly and violent.

As it is, they're getting their way thanks to the acquiescent Democratic Party. A November Congressional flip will set a not-so-pretty stage.
  4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    That's the first thing that popped into my mind, too.

I try not to get too upset when I read stuff like that article. I tell myself it's so much right-wing bluster. But nowadays you can't be sure. Could a power-crazy right wing attempt to impeach forty judges, including one on the Supreme Court?

And if so, where will this put the rest of our government? Will the FBI and the Justice Department quietly go along with this...or will they charge people like Schlafly and Vieira with sedition?

Most importantly, when will we the people get organized enough to protest this insanity, powerfully? It seems to me that we could use a "Million Man March" on Washington right now, specifically aimed at protecting our courts and pointing to "Americans" like these as traitors.

Frankly, although there were wonderful protests at the Republican Convention and the Seattle meeting of the World Bank, activities like these are few and far between. Perhaps it's a lack of leadership from the Democratic Party. Perhaps it's that there are too many liberal protest groups for our own good (i.e., we're too splintered). I long to see some sort of proactive liberal voice, uniting us into one powerful force.

We do have The People on our side. But as long as we stay disorganized, the neo-cons are going to get bolder and more tyrannical.
  5. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Nah, not gonna happen. The American Taliban would like to think they are that powerful, but they're just being used by the corporate types that really run the GOP.

The reason I was interested in this conference is because it was the one that Tom DeLay suddenly 'couldn't make it to' because of the Pope's funeral. Otherwise we would have had some juicy tidbits from DeLay (never one to be outdone by Phyllis Schafly ;) ) instead of from these somewhat-obscure theocons.

Plus I can only imagine the gusto with which Junkie Limbaugh would have hit the airwaves on a day when he could report that liberals were actually quoting Stalin in their quest to exterminate the Enemies of the Left. He would literally have been frothing to have had that chance. But since it's a conservative doing it he could care less.
  6. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004
    What point are we really at? when that kind of rhetoric is espoused with presumed impunity?

Aside from the glaring fact that it is completely misleading and hateful, why is it now acceptable?

The rest of the US really needs to start making their objections clear. This is still a Democracy, and do it while you still have a say in the matter, please.
  7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    He couldn't care less.

Grammar cop -- feet back and spread 'em!

Anyway, I hope by way of expecting that the agenda of this group is too radical for even the hard-right wingers in the Republican congressional leadership to adopt, but then, we had the Schiavo affair, so we how they are bound to react to having their chains jerked. Whether in the end he spoke there, Tom DeLay was on the program -- and he's the party's number two man in the House.

At the moment, though, I'm wondering how mainstream Republicans feel about this. Do you want these wacky extremists calling the shots for your party, let alone, the nation? We still do have some mainstream Republicans around, don't we?
  8. mischief macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2001
    Santa Cruz Ca
    When an isolated population is stressed beyond reason over many years, given repetative scapegoat spin for several of those years and bombarded with reasons to doubt their own dissention when things start drifting towards a political precipice a very small group can sway very large countries into incredibly heinous regimes.

I know I'm kicking a dead horse but I really need more people to realize just how much this particular carcass stinks: We're living in times more and more reminiscent of the 1933 to 1938 period in Germany than I'm really comfortable with. At that time very few took the Nazi movement seriously... "Too extreme.", people thought... "Never happen."... so nothing was done. Complacency is as much the driving force of such coups as extreme rhetoric.