NO mayor orders evacuation....But he just said I could come home

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stubeeef, Sep 19, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

this one is just too rich, didn't think he need to evade the fickler finger of Awesome Administration award.

Just like the feds/fema/bush, this guy is high on the "What Me?!" list. IMHOLink

2. iGary Guest

iGary

My sister was looking forward to going home...not.

What a joke Nagin is...and everyone points their finger at the administration...

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Where did I hear Nagin was most recently? Dallas?

As I've said, I think the evacuation of New Orleans should be made a permanent one.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think the most important factor is the threat of future flooding due to Rita. It's not surprising that the Mayor wants to get his city back on its feet but it does seem a little premature given the infrastructure is virtually non-existent.

Of course, had bushco done anything in the first place the city might be ready for limited repopulation by now....

5. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Given the devastating damage, that city is uninhabitable for the forseeable future. The logistical and structural problems that await have the potential to make officials and residents alike seem like the typical audience at a Jerry Springer show.

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

What a joke this administration is. While all the simple, unoriginal sheep-like partisan hacks point their fingers at Nagin.

[edit ]Nagin simply listened to FEMA. You're just using anything the man does now as another attempt to smear him as being a poor leader so you can prop up the way you feel about "your guy," Bush, who totally and royally ****ed up the whole deal on his one and only shot.

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

So if some parts of say -- I don't know, maybe Charlotte -- ever get flooded out, you'd think it was a good idea to just leave everything behind and desert the whole city?

New Orleans is a gem.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

Hate, hate, hate. :rolleyes:

Typical.

Don't point fingers at the city administration that ignored warnings after two DEVASTATING hurricanes hit not 70-90 miles to the east last year...

Don't point fingers at the administration that ignores good common sense...

Don't pont fingers at the administration who's police, fire and other vital services wer TOTALLY unprepared for what had been warned of for years...

If all you got is calling me a sheep-like partisan hack, then, yeah, you go playah. ;)

At least I can see faults in both the Feds and the local government. Sheep indeed. Take off the blinders.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Uncalled for...

I too, think that there is enough blame to go around for everyone, especially the mayor. There was a lot of mismanagement, but I can't say that I believe it was racially motivated or malicious. It was human, on all sides.

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

10. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I usually know I have hit a true cord when the typical "W did it" crowd says the same ole thing like a broken record.

Wonder why W didn't call for the evacuation, why didn't the admin tell the locals to get the school buses and bus people out, why didn't W make sure the levee commission spent money on repairs instead of water fountains. Ya maybe I should ask him if my electrolytes are low.

11. katchow macrumors 6502

ahhh, a nice meaty bone for the Bush apologists.

12. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Keep it civil people, this is obviously a deeply felt issue, but that doesn't excuse personal and aggressive attacks.

Debate, don't bate.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I thought the previous thorough flogging of this dying horse had produced an agreement that all levels of government were lamentably slow on the uptake here. The Mayor being a twat does not excuse the Governor being a twat, the Mayor and the Governor both dropping the ball does not excuse Brown, Chertoff and the WH for their own abysmal performance. This was a system-wide failure of response.

14. iGary Guest

iGary

Bravo!

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Doesn't matter. Your hypothetical question about Charlotte is illogical because no part of Charlotte lies less than 200 feet ABOVE SEA LEVEL.

New Orleans is built in a bowl that's below sea level, surrounded by a lake and a major river that are both higher up than the city, in an area that's prone to hurricanes and floods. Levees work in both directions, you know... they may keep river and lake water out (temporarily), but they also keep flood waters IN when they make it into the city.

N.O. may be a gem, but it's a gem that's been stored in a stupid place, out in the open and exposed to constant danger. It needs to be moved to a safer place.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

?? If the river and lakewater are higher than the drains, how can this be so? Does not compute.

17. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Yes. And as for the current thread's topic, I don't care whether Nagin gets blame or praise for his decision to evacuate (re-evacuate?) the city in anticipation of Rita, I'm just glad that he's doing it. I think it's probably the right thing to do given the circumstances.

18. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The levees are higher than the city and the lake AND the river... any water that needs to be drained from the city proper has to be PUMPED into the river. When the pumps fail, as they did in this case, any water in the city STAYS in the city.

Seriously, New Orleans is like a leaky dinghy... the water is CONSTANTLY a threat, not just when there's a hurricane. It's really no better off than Venice.

19. iGary Guest

iGary

On a normal day, N.O has to pump water OUT of the city.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Venice has lasted about 1,500 years.

Anyway, NO could be a useful exercise in getting flood prevention right: quite a number of major cities are going to be under threat in the next few years due to rising sea levels.

21. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

But that doesn't mean that if Venice's houses were to be flooded above their rooftops and the entire city coated in a thin film of toxic crap, that it would make sense to drop a good-sized fraction of a TRILLION DOLLARS to rebuild it. Venice is only still there because nothing really bad has happened to it yet.

Does that mean we can expect financial backing from the mayors of Amsterdam, Venice, Hong Kong, London, Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, Mumbai, Shanghai, and Djakarta, and/or their respective governments, to help pay for conducting this "exercise"? After all, those are all large cities that lie just above or at sea level.

The best way to avoid flooding is not to build your city below sea level. Honestly, even a brain-damaged rhesus monkey knows that.

22. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

venice is not normally under sea levels, just during some high tides (but it is slowly sinking under its own weight)
    conversely, not all NO is under sea level (e.g: the french quarter is not) but I think all or most of it is under river level. I think some serious redisign should go into the city, but it doesn't need to be abandoned (maybe some areas).

also, with all the reconstruction that will be going on (not only in NO), will people finally learn that houses CAN be built with concrete and bricks and that they are, surprisingly, more solid than cardboard ones?

I think people in hurricane-prone areas should be forced to read "three little pigs" every single night.

23. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i suspect that might not be technically correct

24. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Very well said!

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hehe.... I love the smell of hypocrisy in the morning!

Come on Gary, weren't you faulting the mayor not one week ago for not evacuating sooner? There's no pleasing you people, is there?

Many of us have said there were failures on the local, state, and federal levels. You on the other hand, seem only able to see the failures by Democrats.

Hate on my friend.