No MBP revision?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by generik, Aug 7, 2006.

1. generik macrumors 601

generik

2. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

You're kidding, right??
    They just came out; not really a big difference from menrom; maybe 10%. Biggest thing is less power usage, but still not incredibly important.

3. Anawrahta macrumors member

Ya they just came out.......... 6 months ago...

Merom is faster, less battery drain and 64 bit for some things

Apple has around 10% of the market share of laptops, if they want to keep that and improve it, they have to stay ahead of the game and get the newest chips in there ASAP.

4. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

It's not like any other manufacturer has a Merom ready laptop selling . . . perhaps it's because it hasn't been released to the market yet ;)

5. generik thread starter macrumors 601

generik

Newsflash: I can buy an Asus Core 2 Duo machine today.

Another newsflash: Leopard supports 64 bit apps.

6. Anawrahta macrumors member

So when do we get to see them? Paris? Or sooner???

7. generik thread starter macrumors 601

generik

Obviously nobody knows.

Incidentally the rumors were pretty much spot on in that the MBP was not really mentioned.

8. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

the macbook pro got updated twice already. why would apple update them a 3rd time in 6 months?

9. generik thread starter macrumors 601

generik

My car got topped up three times this week, why should I top up my car the fourth time in 1 week?

Simple answer: why shouldn't Apple update them? What makes Apple so special that they think they have a magical right to sales even if their line stagnates? The world doesn't revolve around Apple, however much of the PC world now revolves around Intel, Apple included. You got your answer right there.

10. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

because they are up-to-date enough where if they did anything else it'd jack up the price. just 'cause your car got topped up (whatever that means) doesn't mean apple should update computers 'cause you "top up" your car a lot.

how many times has dell and acer updated their "pro" core duo lines compared to apple?

11. generik thread starter macrumors 601

generik

Here's the difference. For the rest of the industry a model comes out, gets cheaper over time, and gets phased out. For Apple, they just put it out as did Moses with the stone tablets from mount zion, put it out on the pedestal, proclaim it *top of the line*, and sell it at the same price point until a new top model appears.

The current offerings aren't top...

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Apple is NOT the rest of the industry. They have a MINISCULE portion of the market share. Don't apply your PC philosophy to how Apple operates. This is more or less how they've ALWAYS operated, and clearly it works for them because people buy the products and they're still in business.

Yes, many of us hoped for MBP update. No, there wasn't one. Yes, there will be one in the future. No, the line isn't stagnant.

Jebus, nothing makes you happy.

I really hope you like Vista. :mad:

13. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

14. generik thread starter macrumors 601

generik

I don't care how they operate, I'm the customer.

Who is Jebus?

Perfectly happy with Windows XP. In fact happier on Windows XP than on MacOS because all my games work there. Only thing MacOS has it going for me is.. gcc works there out of the box, EyeTV rocks, Apple mail is nice.

Time Machine.. Virtual Desktops.. *yawn*.. after Microsoft announced Previous Versions in Vista, oh, and virtual desktop exists on linux for almost 10 years. Nothing to see here, move along.

15. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

Who cares if you are the customer :confused:

It doesn't help someone in XP if Linux has virtual desktops, so idk what that was mentioned for. idk. that.....post is irrelivant. if you like PCs, buy PCs...

as for macbook pro revisions, the fastest macbook pro is faster than the fastest imac...so i don't know why everyone is worried about that :confused:
    the macbook pro is an amazing machine as it is, i'm sure it'll do. i think apple should be more worried about their mac mini, imac, and ipod lines.

16. reflex macrumors 6502a

And as a customer you have a right to decide if you want to purchase any of the products that Apple offer at this time. If you feel Apple didn't fulfill whatever you think they should do, you have a right not to buy from them.

17. vv-tim macrumors 6502

They're in a new ballpark here. They won a lot of customers over for their x86 compatibility and the fact that their new computers WERE top of the line at the time.

If they want to keep those customers, they have to continue to perform top of the line or drop to lower pricepoints.

18. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

I must add my name to that list of surprised Apple watchers when no Merom MBPs were announced.

My guess is that Apple is clearing inventory on the Yonah MBPs. They revised the mlb and that was probably produced in some significant volume for warranty on some percentage of already shipped units and the last of the Yonah production run.

I also dreamed about Apple dumping Quanta because of quality problems and going to ASUS for the Merom based MBPs. That is probably just a dream.

It may be that the Merom MBP will be announced when they sell their existing stock of Yonah stuff.

Soon I and many others hope.

19. peeInMyPantz macrumors member

peeInMyPantz

20. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

very little.

21. steelfist macrumors 6502a

i'd say that apple already pushed themselves having quiet updates like this. it's already unlike apple to do this.

the update for the MBP was just to organize the notebook line. they need to, because otherwise the cpus of the MB and the MBP will be identical.

apple's not going to do anything just because you don't want them to you know.

personally, i've been waiting for an ipod update, an update that makes much more sense than a 3rd MBP update. did i whine or cry? NO

sometimes it's better for apple to lose a costumer they don't want...

22. Makosuke macrumors 603

About the Merom: I'm sure Apple will get around to the upgrade relatively soon. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they didn't just want to wait until they're ready to ship the laptops in bulk and wanted to hold out until then so they're not killing current sales.

I will also point out that while yes, you can technically buy a Merom-based laptop now, Dell is offering NONE currently (including under the Alienware brand), nor is Toshiba or Sony. They're just not ramped up to that point yet, and neither is Apple--cut them some slack.

Is everybody freaking out because Dell didn't announce an XPS with a Core 2 yesterday? Are they screwing their customers because it's not already an option on the Alienware models? No, of course not. Heck, Sony still has "current" models running the Pentium M, and you can still configure a Workstation at Dell with an old-school Xeon processor (the ones with the huge clockspeeds and not nearly as much real speed). What's the big deal?

Personally, I'm rather happy if Apple is going to wait to announce products until they're not only ready to ship, but ready to ship in quantity--I waited more than a month for delivery of my G5 tower a couple years ago, and I can't tell you how pleased I was to order a 17" MBP less than a week after announcement and have it ship three days later. Certainly a lot happier than I'd have been if they'd announced it a month before they were ready to ship in quantity.

It's also possible Apple is working on a significant redesign for the pro notebook cases and they're not quite done yet, and that might delay a Merom transition. So be it.

Oh, and so far, they bumped the top speed on the 15" MBP pretty quickly after the 2.16GHz chips started shipping, so who's to say they won't keep up with the curve from here on out, either? Note that they don't even have a "Good, Better, Best" config on the Mac Pro anymore--just a straight BTO. Pretty darned easy to add a higher end chip or adjust prices as necessary, I'd say. It remains to be seen whether they'll actually do that, but I'm holding out hope that that's the direction they're headed.

Yeah, and there have been free Virtual Desktop apps on OSX for years as well. I even seem to remember some that ran on OS9, though my memory might be faulty. But it's a nice feature to add to the OS. And likewise, there have been various versioning/autobackup systems in existance since VMS at least, but Apple's Time Machine implementation looks to be VERY cool, and add a little extra in terms of ease of use (I particularly like the concept of visually "tabbing through" previous states of a folder).

23. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

well, i ordered my mbp this morning (hong kong time). yes, i was waiting for wwdc like everybody else, but i decided no more waiting. even if the merom is announced next month, it makes no difference to me. i don't need 64 bit for what i am doing, plus i wouldn't want the first batch anyway and am not prepared to wait any longer. i've wanted a mbp since they came out and soon i will have it and can start enjoy using it.

24. Manic Mouse macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

Don't you just love the way some Apple fanboys are simply happy with whatever Apple deems to give them? They could slap an apple logo on a dog turd, charge $3000 for it and they'd still shout "but Apple can do what they want, they don't make PEECEEs" or "But does your PEECEE have nuts in it like my iTurd? You can't compare them!".

As others have said, Apple can roll with the Intel punches and have competitive products out in a similar time-frame or they can "do whatever they want" and sell a heck of a lot fewer Macs to idiots who are content to pay through the nose for sub-par computers so long as they have an Apple logo.

You WILL be able to buy a MBP with Merom in Sept. Apples recent specs and pricing with the Mac Pro and MacBook show that they intend to roll with Intel, as they rightly should. Macs will, for the foreseeable future, be cutting edge and upgraded regularly.

25. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

Home of the Jebusites before the Isrealites captured it and renamed it to Jerusalem. (wiki)

Anyways, I'm only half surprised that MBPs didn't get an update. However, if MBPs don't get an update within a month, I will be very surprised. Apple's no longer in a hardware bubble. They're probably experiencing some sales slowdown as people anticipate a revision. Other manufacturers will probably begin implementing Merom soon, and it's in Apple's interests to stay ahead of the pack, especially on a Pro line. And it'd work out to Apple's efforts in widening the gap between the MB and MBP, as the only thing swaying people to MBP apart maybe from screen size is the difference in video card.

Please, new MBP enclosure. I can't bear to see my acidic skin disfigure the aluminum finish anymore.