no memory + no load ???????

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Gokhan, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

hi

i brought a se ibook and was puzzled to find out it did not boot
    i bought it off a mates friend and his in no mood to talk anyway
    when i had a look inside wow no memory in the slots but surely it will load off the onboard memory all i used to get was a question mark and now i reset the pram i get nothing just a grey screen wont boot up off os9 but ordered a generic copy from apple because mine was a copy so i am stuck for now !!!!!!!!

any ideas

this is really ****ty !!!!!

i am angggrrryyy!!!!

but the guy is mean man !!!

2. HenMaster6000 macrumors regular

3. Calliander macrumors member

Re: no memory + no load ???????

If you reset the PRAM and now you only get a grey screen on boot, you most likely have a bad logic board. However, it could be something else connected to the LB, like the hard drive and etc. First, though, when you start the machine hold down the following keys: Apple, Option, O, F

If you get a white screen with small black text, you're in Open Firmware. From here, you have a command prompt where you can enter commands. What you'll do is an NVRAM reset. Type (without quotes):

"reset-nvram" (then hit return)
    "set-defaults" (then hit return)
    "reset-all" (then hit return)

The machine should then restart. If you don't get the Open Firmware screen originally or you still get the grey screen after resetting the NVRAM, then you should probably have an Apple Store or Authorized Reseller take a look at it for you.

How much did you pay for the iBook? Does it have the FireWire port or is it just the regular USB-only version?

4. Gokhan thread starter macrumors 6502a

paid 500$ for it like a dummy soon as i heard ibook i got duped and it only has usb its a special eddition graphite one though !!!!

also i dont get a chime when i start the machine up could this have something to do with it ????

one more thing if i type mac boot from open firmware it displays a os logo with the message /pci@f200000/mac-i0@17/ata-4@1f000/disk@o:8,\\:tbxi

will try suggestion