No mice mousing

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by platypus63, Apr 16, 2006.

1. platypus63 macrumors regular

So after some intense wrist pain, I've decided to take a break from mice for some time, but i have never used a pointing device besides mice.

I was thinking of either using trackballs or wacom tablets. The tablet would be used mostly for just mousing around, and not much artwork. Can you guys tell me about experiences with using tablets for mousing, and if either tablets or trackballs have helped those of you with the wrist pain?

-Thanks!

2. Moshiiii macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

3. platypus63 thread starter macrumors regular

The problem is that while using a mouse with the hand pronated (palm facing down) and moving the hand from the wrist left and right is what mainly damages the wrist and causes carpal tunnel/ RSI. That's why I'm looking for a device thats going to eliminate that movement. I've tried wrist pads, they do make mousing more comfortable, but don't eliminate that movement, so it ends up hurting just the same. :(

4. stefan15 macrumors regular

You should probably try the 3m ergo mouse.. We distribute it at work in the office as part of the ergonomics program, for people with sore wrists from mousing.

It looks weird, and it looks like you'd use it like a joystick, but the handle is actually fixed. I have used it, and though it's not my style, it is very precise and eliminates wrist use altogether (focuses more on smaller motions of elbow/shoulder).

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/...tation_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

5. platypus63 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh that is very intriguing. I might have to give that one a try. Thanks for the tip.

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3