No more 20Gig PS3's? (At least in Europe)

Discussion in 'Games' started by gkarris, Jan 25, 2007.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

http://www.news.com/

Sony to launch high-end PS3 in Europe

By Reuters

http://news.com.com/Sony+to+launch+high-end+PS3+in+Europe/2100-1043_3-6153181.html

Story last modified Thu Jan 25 05:50:27 PST 2007

Sony said on Thursday it will launch the high-end version of its PlayStation 3 game console on March 23 in Europe, but it has no plan at the moment to offer the basic model there.

The electronics and entertainment conglomerate last September delayed the European launch of the PS3, Sony's most important strategic product for this business year, to March from November due to a production glitch.

"We will focus on the launch of the one with a 60GB drive and have no plan now to introduce the 20GB model," Sony Computer Entertainment spokesman Satoshi Fukuoka said.

Sony Computer Entertainment is the video game unit of Sony.

Sony started selling both the high-end model with a 60GB hard-disk drive and the basic model with a 20GB drive in Japan and North America last November.

The 60GB model, which will sell for about $775, will also become available in Africa, the Middle East, Australia and New Zealand on March 23.

About 1 million units of the PS3 will be available during the initial launch period in those regions, Sony said.

Story Copyright © 2007 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.

Copyright ©1995-2007 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.

2. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

None around here too?

You know, around Chicago here, I haven't found any stores that have gotten the 20Gig ones here either, they're all the $599 models...

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Knew this was coming. It was the same for the PSP, only the value pack was ever released in Europe too.

Good for retail (bigger profit margin), bad for consumers forced to buy wifi if they will never use it, or extra HDD space that they more than likely will never use either.

Also PS3 will be $820 here in Ireland and $835 in the UK.

4. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

They aren't selling that well......this makes sense.

5. darkwing macrumors 65816

You'd be surprised. Full Auto 2 puts 1781 megs on the HD in the "game data" section. Resistance is only ~127 megs.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I am surprised. :eek: Why's that ? Does it load from HDD to speed up the games accesing or somthing ?

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just part of the pushed Self Destruct button.

I suppose now theres no 2 ways about it. The PS3 costs £430 absolutely minimum. Throw in the lack of HD cables rendering BluRay absolutely useless and no games with the system. Yea.
    Minimum a 360 costs in stores is now £199. A Wii £179. £430?

You can actually get a Wii and 360 for £378. ****ing ridiculous if you ask me.

8. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Yep, it's been announced. 60GB for £425 in UK and $999.95 in AUS.
    I think as far as game saves go, the uploading parts of the game is optional - it greatly decreases loading times. As far as I know, you can delete it when you're done, but keep your actual save data (<1MB).

9. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Has anyone been able to find the 20Gig model here very recently in the US?

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Yup, because Blu-Ray is silly slow compared to DVD. Same reason you install stuff on computers rather than running it all from the disk

11. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I just read they are doing a price hike in canada and pulling the 20gb model there as well