No More AOL CDs

Discussion in 'Community' started by OutThere, Aug 26, 2003.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

no way! they will be collectibles one day...you know...because they're...umm...so RARE! Yeah, that's it...

I do still have an AOL 1.0 or 2.0 diskette lying around somewhere, though. I guess the floppy was on the way out and never got to stick as the cultural symbol for AOL.

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

My friends and I used to use AOL floppies to copy viri to put onto the school computers and drive the IT person crazy...ah, the memories.

4. bobindashadows macrumors 6502

You piece of crap... this was my thread to make! You thread stealer! *cries in corner*

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, I remember using the floppies to backup data. What would I do without the CD's they make great coasters!

6. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

I recycle the packages. And use the cd under my glass to protect the table. And my favorite beer mat was actually MS Office CD set. :p

I've used cds for home decorating. Mosaics in hte bathroom. Making 50 of them to hang in the curtain (I was bored). I want to have e.g. a ceiling one day with full of cds (mirror site facing you). ;)

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't know how bad the AOL influence is over in the US, but I've heard that there are a LOT of those CDs around. I'm in NZ, and we don't have AOL over here. The weird thing is, a couple of years ago I bought a music CD, which came with a "free" AOL CD. But if we don't have AOL over here, why give us the CD :confused:

BTW, the CDs were both manufactured here in NZ.

8. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I always pitch the Cd's. I have a few diskettes around that I have reformatted and use...at least those were useful...:rolleyes:

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I used quite a few of the floppies for backing up papers, too. As far as the CDs, my RA has the entire front of his door covered in AOL CDs so it practically blinds you with the light reflecting off of them as you walk down the hall. My roommate likes putting them in the microwave and watching them spark up, too. It seems to keep him occupied, at least.

10. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

and an occupied roommate is a happy roommate...
    and a happy roommate is a roommate who doesn't annoy the crap out of you.

I guess that means an occupied roommate is a roommate who doesn't annoy the crap out of you.

Ah, the transitive property of roommates. Words to live by.

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I used a few dozen of them for a simple but popular arts & crafts project with kids. You take cheap plastic visors (the kind with a stretchy band around the back, used to shade your eyes) and let kids glue a CD on it, shiny (data) side out, to make nifty headwear that sparkles in the sunlight. Add stickers to taste. Good for elementary school or kiddie birthday parties on a budget.

So that takes care of 36 of the over-1000 CDs I've collected. 964 to go.

Actually, I like having the collection of useless CDs that came in the mail. I'm using a custom wooden four-post CD rack made in woodshop and it makes a great conversation piece. It is now so heavy with CDs that I can't lift it, only slide it!

12. OutThere thread starter macrumors 603

OutThere

Ha ha ha....I got here first!!

13. bobindashadows macrumors 6502

Yeah, well I got the macbytes submission.

14. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i go there once in a while. i want to send in some cds, but they are o fun to use as frisbees!

15. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

wow. I remember this site. It's really cool lol, those CD's annoy the hell out of me (I like the DVD clam-style cases they come in now though, very useful)

AppleMatt

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I like aol cds.....

My sister is covering a wall with CDs......

They can be thrown like small frisbees....

Some of them come in nifty cases that you can put useful CDs in.....

so they are useful IMO.

scem0

17. RobVanDam macrumors member

The CD's are great to throw at annoying 10 year olds.

18. bcsimac macrumors 6502

i just throw them out....but my dad doesn't!

I just throw them out. My dad on the other hand thinks that I need them so he keeps them and then has my sister send them to me with my birthday presents or something with a note saying he hopes I find these cds useful for my computer job. LOL! What a total laugh!

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I have non-computer-saavy friends who don't know what those CDs are, so they give them to me "in case I can use them". The same when they get a free magazine or catalog with something about computers on the cover. I politely say "thank you" because I appreciate the gesture, and they feel like they did a good deed.

20. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

1) I've already sent mine in

2) I need like 30 CD's to get 100 and be listed on the list.

3) Their goal is absurd, many of those were thrown out and even a bigger problem would be

HAS AOL MANUFATURED 1 MILLION FREE AOL CD'S?

Answer: Probably not.

21. bobindashadows macrumors 6502

Dude, come on, if they have 200,000 CDs that proves AOL has made a buttload of CDs. Plus, barely anybody knows about this site, and only a few thousand people have sent in CDs. How many people do you think have gotten one of those CDs before? I'd say over a million without blinking.

I admit that a lot of them have been thrown out, but hey, if more people know about it, then maybe they'll reach that 1 million mark.

22. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

My RA has a collection of about 2000 AOL CDs (he steals them from the college for whatever reason) and I know I've thrown away at least 100 just during high school. Most of my friends have also thrown out the same amount or destroyed them in various ways. If every person I knew got just a dozen of them, I can easily say AOL has made a few million. These things are seriously *everywhere* and just about every PC you buy either comes with an AOL CD or AOL installed.

23. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Just about every PC mag in the UK has them on the front, and I get duplicates sent to me, that is, I have had about 6 AOL 7 CD's sent to me, that I remember.

They're always harping on about how many people are on AOL, they definitely have produced a few million of these, without a doubt. Remember there was AOL 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 before 8. All those had various CD's, with different offers and bundles.

AppleMatt

24. bcsimac macrumors 6502

Re: non computer saavy friends

Doctor Q,

Yeah, I usually do that for most people, but I expect more of my father since I have told him that I don't need the CDs at least 100 times!

25. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

that's true; I save the ones with the dvd-style cases that i sometimes get in the mail. Take out the ad for aol and u got yourself a top notch dvd case