No more Apples on Drew Carey Show?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by #Johnny5, Jan 16, 2002.

1. #Johnny5 macrumors newbie

The Drew Carey Show has been a good place to see Macs on network TV for the past 2 or 3 years - ever since Mimi got an iMac to match her colorful style. Last year, Drew's generic beige monitor got updated to a full Cube system - complete with Cinema Display, Pro Speakers, and the boot. The show has always had clear Apple advertising. A few weeks ago, Drew even moved his mouse over the Dock for no apparent reason. (...other than to show off OS X?).

Well, this week, the Cube was still there, and a dual-usb iBook was shown off as well... but all the Apple logos were blatantly covered up with what looked like circular stickers. What’s with that? Did Apple stop paying them to use Macs, so now they won’t show the logo anymore? They did show off a video on the iBook. Did Apple disapprove of the use of their equipment for low-brow humor?

I just thought it seemed rather odd. Did anyone else see this, or does anyone know anything about it?

2. samy85114 macrumors regular

same thing for me, and i wonder why they are covering them???
    I bet, that's just about sponsoring, nothing else! There's no other reason...

3. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

That's pretty lame... I love the Drew Carey show and I loved how they had Macs in there. I really wonder what's behind that move... it's kind of pointless anyway, it's so obvious that they're macs.

4. Unregistered Guest

My 2 Cents

Here is what I know. Apple pays a company that does product placement for tv shows and the movies. Watch waynes world sometime. Could be someone forgot to send a check and in the meantime they cover up the logo. No pay, no play...

5. davidc2182 macrumors regular

i saw it too

i saw it and it pissed me off to no end, i told my fellow machead friend, and hes like who cares about the drew carey show, and i'm like thats not the point, they covered up the logo but when they showed the vid on the ibook they you could still read iBook on the screen, another primetime show is buffy, they use the new iBook on that one!!

6. Unregistered Guest

Yeah, noticed that too. At first i thought he was covering up part of the logo, but then i realised that they probably stopped working with apple. I was surprised that they could still use the computers. I am kinda mad because I lked seeing apple advertised on Drew Carey.

7. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Why do they cover only the Apple logo and not the label that says iBook?

8. Unregistered Guest

Many product logos are disguised for television. You'll also notice that Drew's beer and soda always have disguised lables. This is done to avoid antagonizing advertisers. What if Gateway or Dell wanted to advertise during the Drew Carey Show? I know that Drew is a huge Mac fan, and that's why the computers appear on his show. I seriously doubt that Apple ever paid anything for product placement on Drew's show (or any TV show).

9. tweedy7736 macrumors newbie

Still, who really cares if they covered up the logo? The great thing about Mac design is that if someone walks into a computer store, they'll recognize the Mac anyways. Beige PC's all look alike.
    --tweedy.

10. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Sex In The City

Not to sound, well, you know - femmy.

But my ex-girlfriend loved Sex and The City, so I'll find myself checking it out from time to time. Those chicks use Macs.

The redhead uses a TiBook at work, and Sarah Jessica Parker has always used/is still using a Pismo PowerBook (she needs an upgrade).

11. amichalo macrumors regular

Sex in the city = Apple

I think Sex in the City is a better place for Apple products to be used (sorry to Draw fans).

Those chicks are hot.

I miss New York.

12. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Ok,ok,ok... be carefull!!!

Evey body here can talk about what ever they want, anything, but please do not talk about Buffy or any other Sarah Michelle Gellar related topic. I have a crush on her since 1997, my actual girlfriend even looks like her (but taller), but I want that one. She's a good reason to put me in jail or in the FBI most wanted, because if I see her I swear I will kidnap her and disappear for ever!!! (and live happly ever after for sure).

13. samy85114 macrumors regular

But who cares about this, i mean, it's obvious! Just by looking to the shape... it's easy to pretend that's a Mac! That's the great thing with Apple...their design mean Apple!!! So this way, it brings you much more in Ad. Even if the show decided to cover up the company logo... anyway they don't mind, their design represent them as well as they expected in the past. And well, i guess, that,s a part of their marketing plan. Using their own design in order to use it as a symbol. Just try it: cover up each word that could determine what kind of computer is, such as the apple, iMac or ibook... whatever... then show this computer to someone who doesn't use a computer a lot and ask him/her what company made it!!! If you're asking your grandmother to answer it. probably she won't know it... Anyway you know what I mean... i'm tired to type on my computer.

And for those who seriously doubt that apple ever paid anything for placement in drew carey's show... I have to say that everyone on this earth is working for money, nothing else!!!

14. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Good point:

I can't count the # of "unmarked" Macs I've spotted on TV. Often Wintel-only products (like direcPC) will be advertised with an actor using a Mac and Windoze screenshots masked in. I bet I see 100+ Macs in an evening of TV. Look carrefully, everything from Beige G3's through iPods. Commercials, Print ads, TV shows. Apple has style and props masters know it.:cool:

15. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

with namebrand products, the logos are almost always blacked out with tape of covered partially....cereal, drinks, boxes, all of it...

so what gives with this? Apple would surely want their image posted in as many places as possible....esp. on tv....

16. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Aesthetic Branding:

Why bother with the Logo if the look is as distinctive as any other World Class company? You can spot a Lamborghini without seeing it's logo, same goes for Jaguar, Mercedes, Leer Jet, Hyatt Regency, etc. Really what we're seeing is a very subtle move toward getting people to expect to see Macs.

17. Braughty macrumors newbie

I've watched a lot of Drew Carey...

and I was pretty sure that they've always done it this way. Not that says anything to why they've blocked out the Apple logo. I remember when Drew was using a tangerine iBook and the logo was blocked out with a tangerine circle. I don't think this a new development.

-Braughty

18. samy85114 macrumors regular

... Maybe but I remember, I already saw that little apple behind his flat screen panel ( the one beside the cube ).

So they are not always covering them...

19. samy85114 macrumors regular

still great anyway

but however... it still a great show anyway, but with Mac all around him... might be better!