No More Car Chases In LA

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/07/lapd.gps.ap/index.html

This is quite cool and its about time someone did something like this. The obvious problem, though, is that once you're out of sight of the cops you can dump the car and run.

I hope they post the first person caught by the thing.

D

2. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Several years ago I heard that a police officer today is little better equiped then an officer from the 1950's.

But tazers, in-car computers, Spike Strips, and "GPS gumballs" all give officers ways to do the same job in a safer way. I have heard of a lot of other technologies that just haven't made their way into police departments yet. This is really exciting stuff.

I wonder if that adhesive is going to damage the finish of the vehicle...

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

They showed a demonstration of this on the local news here. They shot the dart (it looked like a ball with a tail) onto the back of a car to show how easy it was (at least when the suspect is within target distance). Perhaps they will follow cars by helicopter, just not with patrol cars on the ground, so they can watch for the suspect to stop and get out.

I've never understood why they have a particular patrol car or cars follow a suspect as long as the chase goes on, instead of handing it off to police ahead on the route.

On the freeway, perhaps they could line up a convoy of police cars, one in each lane, a mile ahead of the suspect, gradually slowing down, so the suspect can't pass them?

Of course, having a huge helicopter pick up the suspect's car with a giant magnet sounds best of all. It always works in action movies!

4. p0intblank macrumors 68030

That's pretty awesome. I didn't know LA was the "car chase" city. Anyway, this new technology could be really cool to read about in the future. Less morons on the street = better environment for the rest of us

(even though I live in New Jersey)

5. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

Hm... market for golf-ball sized things with tails as a sort of twisted status symbol... I mean, you already have the stick-on-things for the windshield that look like baseballs/softballs/golf balls/ tennis balls sticking halfway out and "cracks" around its circumfrence... and the fake "bullet holes" you can stick on... why not these?

Anyhow, sounds like a great idea to me: fewer injuries, less property damage...

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I use to see those car chases all the time when I lived over there. Also I have been stopped for speeding and I remember the cop thought for a second that I wasn't going to stop (I didn't see the cop immediately) so I continued to drive fast. He let me go with a warning.

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'd rather have big grappling hooks shot out of guns mounted on the cop cars. Then just reel the offending vehicle in.

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

A good idea - it might cut down on chases even before they start because the crooks will know that once they are hit with the tracker they have nowhere to hide unless they ditch the car. I'd rather have these scumbags fleeing on foot than driving like maniacs.

They've tried that, but at highway speeds there's a risk of rolling the fleeing car and wiping out the attached police cruiser too. It does work at lower speeds though.

9. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

How do you shoot it with acuracy when their speeding at 70+ MPH?

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

You don't actually shoot it...it's basically attached to the front of the police cruiser. You ram the speeder's car in the back and the barbs on the harpoon extend, locking the cars together. The police cruiser then brakes to stop the whole shebang. Even at well over 70mph A Crown Vic cop car has more than enough grunt to ram a fleeing car, but it's the stopping part that's hard - you tend to lose control.

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

and here i am picturing something out of hellraiser - several hooked chains attaching to the car and tearing it apart. :D weeeeeee! how "medival on his ass" can we get here? hmmmmm :p
    i'm twisted, what can i say?

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

They could simply lower a huge circular concrete barrier all around the car. It would hit the inside of the barrier without hurting anything surrounding it.

Of course, this is just a way to catch the "suspect", so that might be an eensy weensy bit draconian.

13. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Hmm a very good idea, I just hope that dart is really sticky... otherwise once the cops drop out of sight the dastardly crook might pull over his silver or black civic (or other dime-a-dozen looking car) remove it and either leave it on the side of the road or stick it to another similar car they drive by.... :cool:

I can see all those criminals using teflon wax, or goof-off on the back of their cars :D

14. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Wouldn't this be one of those things that would have been better NOT to be announced to the public? Now people are expecting it...

15. emw macrumors G4

emw

Well that's no fun. :p

16. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

they could just follow the car in an undercover car. its not always a black crown vic like some people think. i've seen light green jeep liberties undercover in use by the NYPD. who knows what else they have. then, when the person stops, they can just run out with their guns pointed and arrest him/her.

17. CompUser Guest

Around here in CT we have undercover explorers in town, there are some undercover crown vics around, but they do have chyslers on the highway. Its not like you don't notice them when they have lights in the back window, on the dashboard, and a big antenna on the trunks.

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

unmarked != undercover. Unmarked cars usually stand out as well, but they're harder to spot at speed, since they usually don't have a light bar. Undercover cars are usually very discreet. No light bars, no huge antenna, no lights in the rear window. They can be anything, usually domestic, but not necessarily.

19. electronboy macrumors 6502

wait til they can get an electro magnetic pulse (EMP) beam narrow enough to hit only a single vehicle. That will be the ultiimate solution. Fry the cars electronics and the vehicle will be disabled immediately. :D

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Would that do anything to the gear necessary to run the spark plugs? Because if someone's driving a classic with no ECU or anything, that would be pretty useless.

21. Timepass macrumors 65816

I dont believe so. It going to fry almost any car on the road because your spark plugs work off a cylinode (sp). basicly it is a capictitor the EMP is going to blow thoses. Not stored charge, No spark, No go. The gear system just would release the stored charge to the spark plugs.

22. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

what LA really needs is spiderman! :D

on a serious related note, i know the technology exists for lightweight but super-strong netting. i've always wondered why it was never implamented in these types of situations. net that across the freeway and end of pursuit. the fleeing car will be all excited "oh look, the cops are backing off of me" and BAM, nothin but net. i think it would be less devistating than a spike strip which can cause a serious accident <shrugs> maybe it's extremely expensive, i don't know, but i know it exists.

23. greg555 macrumors 6502a

What would you attach the netting to?

Greg

24. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The cops in my neighborhood use Impalas and Crown Vics as unmarked cars. The Impalas are more discreet but they are slower and less rugged than the big Ford. If you ride over a curb or railroad tracks in an Impala at speed you're likely to tear important bits off the car, while the 'Vic will keep going. One local community uses green Dodge Intrepids that blend in really nice. Unmarked cars are great for traffic stops but in a high-speed chase I'd rather be in a 'Vic or one of the Highway patrol's Z28 Camaros. I've seen video footage from chases in Commiefornia where the cops were using Nissan Maximas.

I'd like to see more Chrysler 300M/Dodge Charger cop cars - those would look pretty intimidating.

A lot of nearby suburban areas seem to be switching to SUVs (mostly Explorers) for unmarked cars, which is silly - they handle like crap, are slow and have worse fuel economy than even the Crown Vic with its big V8. Not to mention they roll over a bit too often.

I don't think they'd be able to anchor it down to the ground securely enough to stop a car. Yes, they do it on aircraft carriers but there is a LOT of metal holding those down.

Actually I think the GPS gumballs are a very good idea because they encourage the fleeing car to stop on it's own, since it can't evade detection. That's safer than trying to forcefully stop a car.

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, the only car chase I have ever seen on the news is the OJ Simpson one, which was ridiculous anyway since they were obviously chasing an innocent man around the city.