no more "email only" option

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iH8Quark, Aug 6, 2002.

1. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

Look. Apple changed their info on email only accounts. :rolleyes:

2. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

Re: no more "email only" option

s o who has the . mac membership?
    i would be willing to pay for the cost of the aditional email only account, plus another five dolars for your troubles ;)
    any takers? :D

3. iH8Quark thread starter macrumors 6502

4. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

55 more days till Doomsday....DAMN APPLE! Oh well, they're gonna give me a new battery for my iBook so I guess all is fair...

5. ponyboy macrumors regular

Re: no more "email only" option

yawn... they changed that like two days after the keynote, and I dont know about you people but I definatly would not want to rely on a third party just to have a .mac address especially one solicited over the internet. I dont know the specifics but does the .mac owner have acsess to email accounts under his/her account name. And how do you know your sponsor is going to pay his bill in the future? And if they dont I garauntee you wont get 75 days notice. Doesnt sound like a good idea to me this whole skeem was designed for members of the same family and beyond that there are no garauntees.

6. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

There WAS NEVER A FREE/$10 E-MAIL only option.

Someone read the page describing adding an e-mail only account to a .mac (still hate the name) paid account, but neglected to read the preceding and following pages.

Then a bunch of rumor site made such a stir over this blithering idiot's failure to read the whole instruction set, than news sites thought it was fact.

Apple has had to rework the wording for the lowest common denominator.

I'll paraphrase the way the pages looked minutes after they went live:
    Page 1 - Explains .mac (what kind of moron starts a product name with a period?)
    Pages 2 - Explains setting up a paid .mac (get the gist that I hate this name more than the fees?) account
    Page 3 - Explains additional e-mail addresses which can be added to the PAID .mac account (the page in question).
    Page 4 - Explains how to PAY and convert your account (with or without additional addresses).

This whole fiasco is regarding an offer which NEVER existed as portrayed. The offer is desgined for families and such to have distinct e-mail addys tied to one .mac (Where does http://mac.mac go?) account.

I still hope Apple relents, but who knows.

7. ponyboy macrumors regular

I think you are wrong... for about a day after the keynote on .mac help exactly where the qoute at the begining of this thread is it stated that you could convert your trial .mac account (everyones itools acount was converted to a trial .mac account ) to a free email only account and then gave instructions on how to do this only the buttons it said to push never materialized and then the day after I read it I went back again to try and the instructions had been changed to what was quoted. I saw this and explored it in depth this is no UFO sighting and I remember that the original quote was posted on these boards but I saw it so i'm not going to bother tracking it down.

8. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

No, I'm not wrong. I could see how you'd think that may have been the case, if you only saw the one page, however, if you followed links into the page, it was a pop up help window. It had topical navigation on the left, and sub topic explanations on the right.

Someone found this page, and sent the URL everywhere, however without the correct context the page was invalid.

I watched this whole thing VERY closely. It was only 'FREE' if you didn't read the previous page which explained the cost. By itself, the page may have been misleading, but I can't be the only one who asked 'How do I navigate to that page?' and then saw all the contrary information invalidating it...

Also, the buttons only appeared to those with .mac subscriptions, so unless you signed up, you wouldn't see them.

9. ponyboy macrumors regular

I still dont think I am wrong, attached is the current help window:

Now i wish I would have made a screen capture of the ORIGINAL message, that IMPORTANT section never existed and the rest of the text read how to convert YOUR TRIAL ACCOUNT to an EMAIL ONLY ACCOUNT. Period. not someone elses account, but YOUR TRIAL ACCOUNT. By the way I found this link before ever coming to the MR boards, right after the keynote, and only after I saw all the complaining did I go back to copy the page because I thought everyone was missing something, and walaah the text had been changed. What is attached is the second version and either apple changed their minds or the original was written so poorly that it lead people like myself to misunderstand my impression is option A. Look at the title of the help window coverting your .mac trial account to an email only account it doesnt make any sense and the headings to the right as well, there is another heading about how to add additional email accounts and this one. Now all of this is moot anyway an I could really care less I dont need an email account, all this has done is encourage me to get out there and register that domain name i've wanted and get my own email. So if I was mislead I was mislead by apple but I dont even care their computers still rock.

Attached Files: