no more firewire support?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by miles01110, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Um, what?

The iPod nano and the 5G iPod did away with firewire when they were introduced almost a year ago.

We argued, posted and wondered about this development way back then.

All iPods that use Firewire are still supported by iTunes.
  2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR

Um...where have you been?

Nanos and 5G iPods will sync and charge via USB and charge only via firewire.

This news is in no way recent though...
  3. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    This news is old, but I would still like to know why Apple dropped firewire support on the iPod:confused:
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    best guess for dropping support is room.

FW requires each device to have a chip for processing the transfers...

i'm guessing that they didn't want to make the iPod any bigger and since most people probably were using USB anyways... they did away with it.
  5. jholzner macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2002
    Champaign, IL
    I would assume that since most iPods are sold to Windows users and most Windows users only use USB2 they decided to drop it. Also, they were able to remove some circutry by doing this also allowing them to make both the nano and the regular iPod that much thinner. At least you can still charge them both over firewire so if you have a firewire based wall charger and cable it is not useless.
  6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR

Absolutely correct. Firewire support would have made the iPod thicker and more people have access to USB2 (or 1) than have access to firewire.

Not saying I like it (firewire is still much faster), but I understand the decision from a business standpoint.
  7. chillywilly macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    I lamented over this for a while, but since giving my old 4G 20gb model to a family member, I don't need the firewire support anymore with the nano and 5G 30gb I have now.

My daughter still have a 4G color 20gb model that uses firewire, but it never came with the firewire cable, so she's always used USB to sync with.

Her's came with the USB wall charger, so everything is all good.

I think the removal of firewire was a concern at first, leading some to think the new Intel Macs would see similar firewire cuts, but I think that's been resolved now with all of the newer models having at least one firewire port on them.
  8. lexus macrumors 68000

Mar 26, 2006
    Depends Greatly On The Weather
    Not very descriptive.
  9. miles01110 thread starter macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    6 other people didn't seem to have a problem.

For whoever asked "Where have you been?"

I was previously using a 1st generation iPod (!) but I recently got a Macbook Pro, & used to rebate to get a 30 gb iPod.

Stinks about the firewire though, although the USB2 isn't as pokey as I thought it would be.