No More Games on the Xbox?

Discussion in 'Games' started by PreacherKane, Dec 20, 2006.

1. PreacherKane macrumors 6502

I'm posting this thread for all the Xbox owners out there.
    I 'acquired' one about a year ago and I was very happy. I like fps and the design of the joypad suited me well but recently I'm feeling like a fool for buying into the Xbox world. Microsoft have almost stopped making games and are putting all their efforts into the Xbox 360. Which is great if you have a large HD flat-screen TV and tons of money for games. I think the Xbox still has life in it but I'm definitely in the minority.
    So the question is, do I try to find Xbox games or succumb to the siren's call of the 360?:) :confused:

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Plenty of used Xbox games out there for you to play if you want to.

Oh, and it's "I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tännhauser Gate." ;)

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Exactly...My suggestion is that right now, while everyone is upgrading, go splurge on all the inexpensive copies of games for XBox that you wanted to play but did not / had not. You can always get an upgraded console later, and those games are cheap now. Who knows...by then, you might have an HDTV. ;) I didn't intend to buy one, and yet I've got one now.

4. PreacherKane thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice ideas guys. Thanks. I'll try out the used games section... And thanks clayj for the correction. The spirit is strong but the flesh is weak.

5. danny_w macrumors 601

I just went to EB Games and bought 3 used games (you get the 3rd one free) and may go back for some more. Oh, and they had some for as low as $2 that I might get (Max Payne 2 for one). I love all of these cheap games due to the 360's release.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hehehehe...and you could always be "that guy," as Clay would put it, and get the Burger King games. :D

7. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

get KOTOR its not a fps but possibly the best console rpg I have ever playedand there if you have live there is also an addon pack. Jade Empire was fun as well but a little short but the combat engine was second to none. ghost recon 2 on the xbox was fun graw not as good as on the 360. BTW I have a 360 and have it connected to a 6 year old 32" flattube tv and I can't tell the difference from coming from a 55" dlp

8. snowdog macrumors member

Hang on a little bit longer.
    I bought the 360 a couple of days ago.
    Considering the 360 has been out for a year, there isn't a lot of a-class titles out yet.

Yes - Gears of War rocks, but otherwise it's pretty bleak.

9. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

RB6:Vegas - I haven't played GOW since I got that - it is a blast to play online - 4player co-op 'nuff said

10. savar macrumors 68000

savar

There are tons of good games for the Xbox still. Unless you're a hardcore gamer it could keep you amused for a couple more years at least.

11. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

mod dat "hoe" and go back in time with some emulators!

who needs crappy XBOX games when you can have Bubble Bobble!

[​IMG]

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Don't be that guy. <shakes index finger disapprovingly>

13. PreacherKane thread starter macrumors 6502

It's good to hear all the positive advice. One of the problems is that over here in the UK, it's getting harder and harder to find any new Xbox games. You have to really look for them. All the cool titles are only being released on the 36n. I suppose I was being a bit of a game snob, only wanting the new cool games and turning my nose up at the 2nd hand games.
    I'm proud to say I have learned my lesson and I will enjoy the Xbox, to the max.

14. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Even this past year I beleive any new releases the xbox did have were multiplatform and that only entails I think a handful...everything is shifting toward the 360. And there is nothing wrong in wanting something new.

15. 7on macrumors 601

7on

16. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

What? What? They're fun. Sheesh.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What he said! It gave new life to my Xbox.

Buy an Xbox. Halo, Panzer Dragoon, GTA series and have an open-ended world of fun. I never funded too much into my original Xbox but there are some good quality games out there.

18. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I just think the Burger King games are the next step in how our games are permeated with advertising. Here you have an entire game which is basically a huge ad for BK.

What's next? KFC's "Catch the Chicken", where you chase chickens around the farmyard and then boil them in hot water until they die? Or maybe Taco Bell's "Yo Quiero PS3", where someone tries to get you to trade your PS3 for a "lifetime" supply of Taco Bell food? :p

19. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Dude, I'm totally getting those.:D

20. PreacherKane thread starter macrumors 6502

What's an XBMC?:confused: Nothing illegal, I hope.
    I asked sbout the Burger King games. The girl behind the counter didn't know what I was talking about, so I got a whopper instead.:eek:

21. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Theres tons of fantastic Xbox games out therem granted not new releases, but great ones never-the-less.

Rallisport 2
    Toca2
    PGR2
    Black
    Splinter cell Choas theory
    Burnout 1 &2
    Doom3
    Brothers in arms 1 & 2
    Soul Caliber 2
    Star Wars battlefront
    Fable
    GTA3
    Full Spectrum Warrior
    Halo 1 & 2
    HalfLife 2
    Pro Evo

I'd guess most of these are now cheap secondhand or even cheaper as 'backups' if you get it modded.:eek:

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Been there done that!
    McDonald Land? :rolleyes: Amiga and NES classic right there, it's actually very good too.
    MicroMachines?
    Trolls?
    Superfrog? You drank Lucozade to give you health.

To a lesser extent - Crash Test Dummies, Pokemon?

23. PreacherKane thread starter macrumors 6502

Might revisit Halo and Brothers in Arms, now I know that the best games for the Xbox have come and gone.
    But in all serious, shame on Microsoft for abandoning the Xbox to the games console wasteland. I don't mind checking out old 'classics' but I also wanted the "new hotness".
    'Old classic' :p v "New hotness" :cool:

24. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Brothers in arms is what I sorely miss on my xbox360 right now - I actually want to shoot some nazis and I refuse accept calloduty as a decent game(I played it - I hate it). I was hoping for it to be added to the backward compatibility list a couple weeks ago but oh well I guess I wait till Hell's Highway and now back to vegas and startrek legacy

25. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Can I add 'Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath' to the list?

The last 'great game' that I bought for my Xbox.