No more iSight cameras?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Celeron, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Just read through the article on the front page. Is it true that the iSight camera is no more? This is highly disappointing as I have a 12'' rev. B Powerbook that I was considering getting an iSight camera with. Also, I'm saving up the cash to plop down on a new mac pro when the next round of updates (whenever those may be) get released. However, I already have a very nice Dell 20'' widescreen LCD. I have no desire to purchase an Apple display just to get an iSight camera. Obviously I would prefer to purchase and iSight and add it to my pre-existing setup.

So what's the deal, is there no longer going to be an external iSight camera?

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well it looks true since they pulled them from the apple site. You could get one from the marketplace or eBay

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

the iSight is not available through Apple right now. you're likely to find some on eBay or through other resellers.

the incorporation of an iSight into the ACDs is only a rumor at this point, but many (including myself) believe it will happen.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In the recent past, the iSight was temporarily pulled elsewhere due to material changes related to changes in environmental protection policy. That may be the reason it happened in the US as well, although certainly the ACD rumor is very prominent.

In any event, though, there are tons available used.

5. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

I personally expect a new external one that is much smaller and a much higher resolution. Probably a good price drop as well.

6. littlemissGTO macrumors member

littlemissGTO

I guess this means that the only way I'll get the iSight specific light is to look around eBay. Ahh. Will stick with a well lit room.

7. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Nope, the accessory kits and lights are still for sale.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does anyone have one of these? It seems like I always have brightness problems with webcams....

9. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I just sold my used iSight on eBay for more than $200.

10. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Nope but the user reviews on the store are mixed. Some say it's handy, others say "just switch on a light!" Plus the actual light seems like a pain with yet another wire sticking out.

I can believe that. I bagged one from ebay Australia for AUD$181, which wasn't bad given the demand for them (this was about two days before they disappeared of the Aus Apple store).

Apple are crazy if they don't update them, especially if the attitude is "all our new models [and displays] have them built in".

It's one of those vexing, non-sensical Apple moves. A bit like waiting extra months to put the Core 2 Duo chips in the laptops.

11. jtmacb macrumors member

Need a Firewire based PC compatible webcam

I own four iSight cameras but my sister is not a Mac person. So I gave her a Firewire card for her PC for Christmas thinking it would be easy for her to get a PC compatible Firewire webcam. But I'm having a hard time finding anything that looks decent.

Looking for suggestions. Also, I assume an iSight will only work with Apple but I've never tried with a PC because I don't have a PC with a Firewire port.

Does anyone know if iSights will work with PCs too?

12. smyrna macrumors newbie

iSight might not be totally gone!

I would not bet my life on it but, if i remember from CES and other articles US law prohibits the use of leaded solder starting Jan, 1 2007 for ALL electronics. Maybe they were forced to take them off the shelves before Jan 1.

13. fortetfn macrumors member

This makes sense.... there is still a demand for standalone iSight. Maybe this time they are going to release USB 2.0 and improved iSight....

14. Celeron thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here's hoping something new comes out for the iSights on Tuesday. At the moment I'm using my Sony Handicam MiniDV camera as a webcam. It works well, all I have to do is connect it via firewire and it works. Zoom in/zoom out, nightshot, it all works fine. Its just not as convenient as the iSight would be.