No Netflix HD on Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by negativzero, Feb 26, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

Jul 19, 2011
    I subscribe to Netflix and use it to watch shows on my Mac with no problems getting HD or Super HD quality. I just bought a 3rd gen Apple TV however and video quality seems to never go above SD.

Anyone experience this? I need help in solving this.
  2. NMF
    macrumors 6502a

Oct 27, 2011
    Is you Apple TV connected over wifi, with your Mac plugged in via ethernet? It sounds like a bandwidth issue to me.
  3. macrumors 603

Feb 15, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Got to your account settings on Netflix (on a computer).
  4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 19, 2011
    My Apple TV is connected via ethernet too.
    Its configured to stream on highest settings.
  5. macrumors newbie

Mar 22, 2012

My ATV streams Netflix HD content just fine over 802.11n.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2003
    The 1080p version of the AppleTV is listed as a device that supports Super HD.
  7. macrumors 603

Feb 15, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Try House of Cards, it's available in Super HD on an Apple TV 3.
  8. macrumors 65816

Sep 7, 2004
    Salt Lake
    It depends on your internet provider. Some are playing nice with netflix, some are not.
  9. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 19, 2011
    House of Cards streams in HD on my Mac, but SD on my Apple TV. I also tried Netflix on a Samsung Smart TV in my sister's room and it too streams in HD.
    How on earth can it be my internet provider when I can clearly stream HD on another device.
  10. macrumors 68020

May 27, 2008
    no, you don't
    superHD isn't available on the mac.

for superHD netflix wants to use their own connection from their servers to the internet providers. some of the providers (mainly time warner) aren't playing saying the network will already handle the bandwidth.
    regular HD (1080) is available to everyone.
    check superHD compatibility here (the above list is also linked at the bottom of this page)

how do you know it's streaming in SD?
    just by how the image looks? or are you seeing a quality somewhere?
  11. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 19, 2011
    Technical differences of SuperHD aside, the Apple TV is streaming in SD.

I've said above, I tried Netflix on my Mac, a Samsung Smart TV and the Apple TV, and the differences between the Smart TV and Apple TV are noticeable, even with the Apple TV plugged into the same Smart TV playing the same episode. On the Smart TV, it is definitely HD quality and the lines and edges are sharp, whereas on the Apple TV, the picture looks like it was recorded on a 1980s VHS and looks pixellated or blurred.
  12. macrumors 68000

Oct 14, 2008
    Newbury, UK
    Super HD works great for me on ATV. Have you tried rebooting your router in case it's having a funny five minutes? That fixed some streaming problems I had with ATV last year.