No New Apple TV Coming Next Week, But Apple Will Upgrade Software

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 6, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple will not be debuting a new version of its Apple TV at next week's iPhone event, reports AllThingsD. Earlier this week, a "mysterious" set top box shipment from a new supplier suggested Apple could be planning to introduce an upgraded Apple TV, but it appears that the shipment likely consisted of existing hardware rather than a new product.
    While testing beta versions of Mavericks and iOS 7, Apple has also been testing new Apple TV software. The 5.4 Apple TV update includes support for iTunes Radio and it also allows users to purchase music from the iTunes Store on the Apple TV. In addition, it includes a "Conference Room Mode" for business and academic settings, easier setup options, and multi-display support.

AllThingsD suggests that other software changes will be introduced as well, including a new AirPlay feature.
    Over the past several months, Apple has been working to fortify its Apple TV offerings and has introduced a number of new channels. WatchESPN, HBO GO, Sky News, Crunchyroll and Quello were added in June, and in August, Apple debuted new channels for Vevo, the Smithsonian, and Disney. Deals with TWC and The CW are also said to be in the works.

Apple's Apple TV update will likely debut alongside iOS 7, which is expected to be released to the public sometime after the September 10 iPhone event.

Article Link: No New Apple TV Coming Next Week, But Apple Will Upgrade Software

2. macrumors member

Any new watches?

3. macrumors newbie

RandomEnding

:(

:(

I think whey protein often contains all the necessary BCAAs.

4. macrumors newbie

Third party apps

I think Apple should open up the ATV for the app store... developers would help make that a revolutionary feature, like it was with the iPhone...

5. macrumors regular

me wanty a new producty.

6. macrumors G5

Rogifan

I hope that tweak includes an updated UI but my guess is we're stuck with the screen of glossy icons for a while. Sigh.

7. macrumors 6502a

CrazyForApple

This was expected because we didn't see any blurry photos of any new apple TVs

8. macrumors 603

maybe apple figured it out that its dumb to read email on a 2" screen?

----------

it works

9. macrumors member

Really understand that Apple doesnt need to upgrade the Apple TV. There really is no competition that can compare to how easy and good it works. All it need is just some software upgrade, and I'm happy!

10. macrumors member

D-Back

Can't we already do this?

11. macrumors member

landroverz7

Apple TV 4

And here I was hoping Apple will release an apple TV 4 with:
    A6 or A7 dual core
    gigabit ethernet port
    802.11ac
    16GB inbuilt ssd for new app store
    usb 3.0 port for external hdd

12. macrumors 6502a

I have an AppleTV on each of my four tvs. We love it. I am pumped for a software update!!!

Well, I mean, I'm not that really pumped about it, but it would be nice.

13. macrumors 603

I think it'll be updated. There will almost definitely be new iPod nanos with an iOS 7-like interface, Apple TV would look old/weird if it was the only thing that didn't change. It's also not a huge interface, wouldn't be a lot of work.

14. macrumors newbie

No. Currently you stream on your iphone/ipad and display on Apple TV. But now, you command your friend's Apple tv to stream directly on it.

15. macrumors 68000

Darn it. I want one. Gonna hold out a few more days to see if refurbished models come back in stock. (They've been out for 2 weeks now.)

Bryan

16. macrumors regular

I was hoping that version 3 would have been jailbroken by now. I'd like to stream my entire collection of videos from my NAS without having to convert them. Apple should open up Apple TV a bit like they did with the iPhone. Less reason to Jailbreak and more reason to get one for each TV set.

Would also like iPlayer and 4OD.

17. macrumors 603

saving107

Why is the Watch and an actual Apple TV two devices people all the sudden must have?

Currently you can have multiple accounts on an Apple TV and right now my account is programmed on my friend's Apple TV and when I go to his house to catch up on certain shows he switches to my account and all my shows appear on his Apple TV to be streamed.

Apple TV update adds support for multiple iTunes accounts, shared Photo Streams
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/24/3...multiple-itunes-accounts-shared-photo-streams

18. macrumors 6502

richman555

I am glad Apple is not releasing a new version just yet, but we continue to get free updates. :D

19. macrumors 68040

D.T.

I think what they're saying (I had to read that a couple of times...) is you can allocate a "temp license" to an Apple TV that doesn't use your same Apple ID, and it's not being AirPlayed from the "authorizing device". Possibly not even through WiFi, and just through the remote interface.

So once authorized, the friend's Apple TV just plays it directly from the iTunes stream up on Apple's servers, your device is done, and it probably plays once, or for a limited amount of time, almost like a VOD purchase.

Pretty cool.

20. macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Really? The Roku is huge competitor.

21. macrumors 6502a

Maybe they can finally fix the HDCP errors.

22. macrumors member

The problem is that the iOS app/channel model is a really antiquated way of looking at video (or even audio) content that TiVO tore down over a decade ago now. A modern UI would put the content first and let the source be a secondary consideration but I doubt that is in the cards for ATV any time soon.

23. macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

I have a few ATV's myself. Software update is ok, only if they are not intent on force feeding App's and content I do not want and cannot remove from my menu's.

24. macrumors newbie

True, but imagine a situation you don't want to give out your account info to somebody. Or going into any room with ATV and let it stream, while you're gone out of wifi range for coffee?

25. macrumors 68030

Strap an Apple TV on your wrist - it’s not much bigger than Samsung’s smart phone. It won’t actually do anything, but neither will Samsung’s unless you have one specific phone.