Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I downloaded iPod software 1.3 and am not seeing the new games OR the menu customization features. Is this intended or is it a problem with my iPod? I did the "Update" option instead of the "Restore" option in iPod Updater.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
these features will only be available for the new iPods. the software update includes support for iTunes 4 and the AAC codec.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by tjwett
these features will only be available for the new iPods. the software update includes support for iTunes 4 and the AAC codec.

Wahhh! I want Solitare! Oh well. I'm happy with AAC alone.

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny
Wahhh! I want Solitare! Oh well. I'm happy with AAC alone.
They also put a backlight button on the main menu. Not that its really any use...

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
I've got the same problem with my old iPod. I don't see why older 'Pods can't support the new features.

Apple should provide new feature support for those of us who aren't about to pay $300 for a new iPod.

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
The only new feature that i would use, and it would be quite useful to me, is the on the go playlist. I might have a use for the new games but really the only thing that is bothering me is the ON-the-go lists.

Additionally 1.3 is the newest softward availble for the OLD ipods. The new ones come loaded with 2.0. I noticed this on the ipod feedback page.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
ok the old ipods may get these features soon enough. Its not impossible and would definately be very welcome. Some sites like ipoding.com specualte it may come as early as the end of the week.

losfp

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
This is very wrong and broken!! I've always missed the ability to queue songs on my iPod and now it's not on the firmware update? It's certainly not a hardware issue (same with the games, etc) so what's going on? sounds like another case of the marketing department making all the decisions ;)

jaguarx

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2003
London
I'm going to be bloody miffed if they don't give us the new features, there is no technical reason not to and bloody hell we've forked out enough money. I mean none of these features alone or together are worth replaceing a close-to-indentical piece of hardware that costs as much as it does. I don't like the new buttons either.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
GUYS calm down do you know how impossible it will be to play solitare with an older iPod?
anyway why don't you be happy, the new iPod is as ugly as hell but it's pretty cool and i'm one who is willing to get it (even though i should know better and wait for an even better model)

losfp

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
I reckon about as impossible as with the new one ;) I don't see any new buttons on it.

Stuff the games, I'm more worried about not having the playlist-to-go feature, which IMHO should have been in the iPod software from day one. I guess the reason some people are annoyed is that it doesn't seem to be a hardware limitation - more a conscious decision to exclude owners of the older machines, when it isn't even performanced-based - ie: it's not worth running the lists, or the playlist-to-go on the old ipods.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
not impossible at all ...it has the same amount of buttons as the new ipod. Also theres no reason wh ythe four buttons in thier current position would be better than the four in the odler model.U figure menu still has to exit the game. Scroll coudl scroll thru the options of places to put it. one button to set down a card. One to flip the next card and one to select a current stack. It would not be hard considering that the buttons are the same. I WANT PARACHUTE TOO!

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by applemacdude
um me need game on me old ipod:D

comon its just solitaire

And on the go playlists...

And customizable menus...

And the other new game (parachute)...

Just to name a few.

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Originally posted by settledown
why would apple release 1.3 for us old ipoders on monday and then release another update for us old ipoders on friday?

Thats what i said but nobody listens.

Anyways im not sure they will release V2 for the older ipods seeing that the new ipods have a higher definition screen and (i think) a faster processor, so maybe there is a hardware issue ( i hope no though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.