No New NOTHING from Apple ...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by djkny, Jun 17, 2005.

1. djkny macrumors 6502

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0506build8C33.html

I guess we're just gonna have to get over this nonsense; Apple's got nothing new in its pipeline until this whole Intel revolution kicks in. We'll be riding out these old pieces of hardware on through the rest of the year.

No PB bumps, no Mac Mini bumps, maybe some iPod Rev (but who cares at this point), no new PM's, no new nothing. Oh and ibooks -- sure they'll bump them slightly, but that after having kept us waiting for nearly NINE months time. weak.

We're stuck -- for those wanting to buy an already 6 month old machine (in the case of the PB) -- and Apple wants it that way.
    :(

2. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Thats ridiculous. Steve even said in the last keynote that they had more PPC machines in the works.

Theres no way that Apple would just go for a whole year relying on software and existing hardware sales.

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

The the are you talking about? No where in that article was there a mention of no hardware updates until next year. It only stated that mac mini updates were not imminent.
    A CEO like Steve would not lie about having updates and new future PPC products. Do think Apple is a 2 yr old? It has to release new products.

Get your facts straight. :rolleyes:

4. djkny thread starter macrumors 6502

of course I'm not suggesting quite literally that Apple will produce zero until December; come back-to-school time, apple will roll out "updates." But the spirit of my post remains the same. We're halfway through the year, and there hasn't been much to fawn over ... frustrating.

5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

The article didnt state no new hardware it simply implied mac mini updates were not imminent..

ShadOW :p

6. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

uh... re read your original post.. :rolleyes:

7. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Apple would be crazy to not refresh their lines until they switched over to Intel.

The iBook hasn't been updated since last Oct. *Way* overdue for an update. It's been 8 months.

The PB was last updated at the end of Jan. Waiting til next year for a PB update would be crazy.

The Mac mini was released in early Jan. No updates til next year would also be disastrous.

There will be another update to each of these, probably later this month at NECC (for the Mac mini and iBooks) and at MW Paris (late Sept.) for the PB's.

8. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I wouldn't look for any Mac updates at all (save for perhaps the iBook) prior to the back to school season in August. Think Secret says there are no Mac mini updates coming in the short term, but I'd be surprised if they don't have a minor bump sometime in August at least. Of course there probably won't be any major upgrades to anything now prior to MWSF when hopefully we'll get an idea of when some of the first Intel systems will be coming.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is this really something to get so worked up over? Seriously, Some machines have had updates in the last 3 months. Chill Puppy.

10. iDeclare macrumors member

iDeclare

I agree. You would THINK that the iBook would be updated any time now :rolleyes: .

Problem is, ANY update to it will make it look too similar to a Powerbook. Granted, the iBook needs the 512mb ram standard...I can see a possible update to 1.42ghz (what the mini currently tops out at) and an update for the mini to 1.5ghz / 1.67ghz (and hopefully an option for 64mb vram for both).

just my 2 cents; don't hate.

11. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Quote from Jessica:
    I agree - I bought my iBook in Nov 04, and I don't find myself thinking now that I suddenly need more speed or features - I'm still running the same software apps (mainly Adobe CS) and doing the same sort of work that I was 6 months ago.
    I realise that hardware companies can't stand still, but the demand for more speed and bigger capacities is often not fully justified in terms of actually needing to do more or go faster. I reckon Apple can comfortably last out with their current range for 12 months, relying on only a few limited updates. I can't see them making a big investment in redesigning any of the current models until the switch to Intel architecture.

12. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Which is why I don't think we'll see an update until October.

13. Willy S macrumors 6502

Damn!

:(

Well then Mini isn't for me. If my wife accepts, I'm going to order an eMac, best bang for the buck today.

Ps. I hope Steve doesn't sue thinksecret for this....again. :p

14. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Would it make sense for them to update the mini?

No. Then they would have to update the powerbooks or else Apples low end product would be very closer to the high end powerbooks even more than they already are. Also the iBooks would probably be expected to be updated.

15. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Don't forget there is the Apple Expo in Paris at the end of August. If there will be any date for updates it will be then. Of course we could see updates next month. Wasn't the iPod updated last July? Remember it was Paris where the iMac G5 was released.

16. web_god61 macrumors regular

web_god61

Ruffff Rufff...What's that Lassie Rufff... something about a 3 GHz PowerMac G5....

17. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

what about iPods, those need to be updated for just for me :D

18. devman macrumors 65816

devman

19. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

This year's Paris show is in mid-September IIRC

20. Willy S macrumors 6502

It makes sense because Mini doesn´t support Tigers core image, so it is basically too outdated to buy. The same goes for the iBook.

I have seen new computers for sale that are not capable of supporting the latest video games in the higher resolutions but never heard of a computer in many years at least that didn´t even fully support the OS which was bundled with it.

21. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Wrong. Core Image is supported. I can write a program using Core Image functions and it does not fail on an iBook or a Mini.

What you are confusing is the fact that when certain programmable GPUs are present, then Core Image will utilize the GPU - offloading work from the CPU.

In other words, on machines with certain GPU hardware the OS scales up and you get hardware acceleration, and on others you don't. In all cases Core Image is there and supported.

22. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

No need to get overly Clintonesque here, but it depends on one's interpretation of the word "fawn." There are people who need to breathe into a bag for 15 minutes after Apple increases a chip's speed by 100-150 MHz, which in reality yields no meaningful difference in overall performance. I do agree that more needs to be done and fairly soon.