no new powerbooks

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by chibianh, Mar 14, 2002.

1. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

say it ain't so!

Anyway, that's what the guy at the Apple store told me today, rather rudely i might add, when I asked him if I should wait until MWTokyo to buy a powerbook. He said definitely no new powerbook because Apple says "no new hardware" and that the powerbooks were last updated in December. I will wait until Tokyo. If no new powerbook, I'll get a 667. However, I hope there is an updated one and I will go back to the Apple store and shove it in his face while NOT buying it there.

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: no new powerbooks

Apple employees are paid/trained not to tell people about new products. It's in their best interest to sell the older models and clear the channels before new hardware comes out. You are lucky if you know someone who works for Apple and can give you hints about when to buy and when to wait. But if you walk into a store and expect someone to spill all the secrets just because you ask you're crazy.

3. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Well- people aren't acutally paid not to tell you things, but Apple Store employees simply don't get told the really good dirt. I'm sure the managers might know about the products releases a little before schedule so that they can be put out, but for the most part, they are as clueless as you and me.

There's also a little thing called an NDA. (non disclosure agreement)

-pete

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Well I'll be that "not telling people secrets" technically isn't in the job description, but telling people will surely get you fired. ;)

5. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

what are we not surprised that there are not 3 versions of the same powerbook line? last time i cheked apple only does rev a and rev b... i have never heard of a rev c. is there any rev c model of anything? as for absolutely new powerbook line..... fat chance.

6. kidtronix macrumors regular

well firstly, a company can not go and tell customers there will be no revision, it must be conflicting with some law only to do release something. but they can say, "we haven't heard of anything/don't know of anything coming". but if they say "no new", then if they do release something i think you should kick the guy in the groin cuz that's just messed up.

appel service is failing to commit to me at the time, a very good friend of mine has been waiting almost a month for his new powermac (construction time: 1-3 days my ass), but i just noticed myself that there is no expected shipping dates what so ever at the apple store. frankly, i wouldn't buy anything from apple themself at the moment.

but, as for powerbooks. you might be a pc thug and say todays pc laptops are faster than the current powerbook lines and got better hardware, no doubt, it is high time for a new powerbook, but apple never seem to stop letting their customers down.

ok this was a grumpy message, and i will probably get a lot of steve-jobs-is-god-so-shut-a-fack-up-biatch messages to follow but at the moment, apple is not all that (...it could be)?

7. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

no your right appl is not perfect but they are hella close to it than most computer companies. them powerbooks that you compared to the pc craptops....are just as good or better. you have to understand that the processors are built different (architecture) and they have a co proccessor thats made for graphics, number crunching. way different. intel has sacrificed quality in thier proccessors for the mhz number game. while i know many of you would like to see new powerbooks....i dont think its time for some new ones yet....be it that the latest revision was in dec. these revisions are still rocking it. dont expect apple to kill this success by bringing out new ones any time soon. they are not old yet. dont use the pc depriciation standard with mac machines...please. thats a grave error. perhaps we will see speed bumped....heat issue fixed powerbooks after summer.....maybe.

8. kidtronix macrumors regular

as for apple store service, i'd just say with any other company i never have had to wait a month for something.

well powerbook revision was in december? revision was combo drive, i don't even dare to call it a revision, fact was it was slipping behind the ibook when it came to missing the combo. and don't try to lecture me about the mhz myth or whatever, i know this but you can't say that the comparements made by several mac sites tell the truth. just the other day someone posted a link i should have included here and what not.

bottom line is, heck, i'm out to buy a powerbook, i'm gonna sit and watch the keynotes with my visa card in my hand and hope for a new model. though i'm not gonna buy a 667mhz powerbook, not only because i know there is something coming soon (by fact rather than moonlight hunch), but because the 667mhz is even slower than the low end imac.

heat issues or no heat issues, i'm expecting a revision, soon. :mad:

9. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

hey...i dont mean to flam you man.
    im just talking here...so its cool.

yeah do whatever you want...thats your peragative who am i to say the opposite.

however...there are some things that need to be said....regardless if you did not like the latest revision it still was a revision.

low end imac
    700MHz PowerPC G4
    256K L2 cache @ 700 MHz

high end powerbook
    667MHz PowerPC G4 @ 133MHz
    256K L2 cache @ 667MHz

there is a difference...

speed bus! makes a bit of a difference.

dont get pissed man... seriously...its cool.

have fun and rock n roll...your with apple...its cool.

:D

also i wasnt trying to lecture you about the mhz myth. i was simply saying that the powerbooks are better than the pc craptops not just because of the obvious difference but because of the altivec proccessor ....the co proccessor...which is not a part of the pc vocabulary.

dig it!

10. kidtronix macrumors regular

hah i'm not pissed at you, i'm pissed at myself for hoping for a revision and thinking i should expect one. when was the last the tibook had a revision other than the combo drive? new york? i can't really remember but it's been way to (f..:eek:..king) long.

ok speed bus aside, you know what i mean. i'm just waiting for apple to push up the ibook to 600mhz g4 so we get that screw over for the people wanted a powerbook like the people who wanted to buy a powermac did when the new imac came.

i'd buy a apple laptop over a pc any day, i would never buy a pc laptop for that sake, what i am refering to is that the latest pc laptops are faster and more powerful than the powerbook g4 and that pisses me off, can't even show off with the 1gb memory when it's not even ddr... and... and... hmmm, i lost my train of thought, i'm sure i had one ;)

i'm not mad at anyone, i just beg stevie to get a new powerbook out, i can't wait until new york.

11. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay cool kidtronix.

but i dont think that the newest pc craptops are better then the powerbooks. sure hey are higher on numbers...but thats prety much it. does not mean they are better. those intel proccessors suck. they sacrificed quality for quantity. they jacked up the speed but they are delieveing less with each task.

macs pcs...either IBM or Moto says they can make 200 deliveries per day..

intel says they can make 300 delivereis per day...

difference is tha mac offers more items per delivery.

it truelly depends on what your doing.

you probably know that already. i just dont trust them intel pc numbers man. never will.

12. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

heh heh you said craptop!

I am in the WAIT and Plead! Zone for the new powerbooks.

Do you really think that a 667 is slower than a low end imac,why do you say this? It has a faster bus speed! I want a reason for that statement Puhlease :)

I just want something that has a 1ghz chip in it!
    I think that at this point in computer history, 1ghz is the base line.

Buying at that point will allow your purchase to last longer.

I think that they were some serious heat issues on the 667 so waiting is the only option IMHO.

13. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

the 550, 667 tibooks are got thier heat issue revised. these rev b models have better heat displacement then the rev a. now granted it still get pretty frekin hot...however it does no result in a melted keyboard or melted speakers.....i believe.