No New PowerMac, no New PowerBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by JasonGough, Oct 12, 2005.

1. JasonGough macrumors regular

JasonGough

what a letdown, only a **** update to the iMac. wow, 100hz faster! lets go buy.

When are the dual core PowerMacs going to be brought out?!?!?!?

2. robcts macrumors regular

3. Whyapple macrumors member

More than disappointed!! :mad:

How much longer must we wait?

That was the greatest of letdowns, unless you want a video Ipod. Otherwise there's little comfort to those seeking a new laptop :confused:

4. jeffcorbets macrumors newbie

When?!?

I have been waiting very patiently (since about the middle of July) for Apple to release updates (however minor they may be) to the PowerBook line. I spend an obscene amount of time writing code and doing other engineering tasks.

My current laptop, which is over 3 1/2 years old, has amazing screen resolution (1400x1050) and I love it. It would be really hard for me to go to a lesser resolution, so that is my hope of what to see in an update.

I would love a faster processor, but as most of the codes I write end up on clusters, no desktop or laptop will really run them well. I do tend to keep a lot of applications open though, so I will max out the memory on the computer.

When can we expect the new PowerBooks? Is next week really realistic or are we just kidding ourselves?

~Jeff Corbets

5. Nereus macrumors member

I can't hide my disappointment. I think it truly sucks that Apple doesn't give a **** about their pro line. But there is still a little hope that we'll see updated PBs within a week; from ThinkSecret:

"With the iMac G5 now sporting DDR2 memory and PCI Express functionality, rumored updates to the PowerBook and Power Mac lines will likely roll out in the very near future, probably within a week. Stay tuned..." #

6. beerstine macrumors newbie

Disgusted By Lack Of Pro Gear

I'm beginning to wonder if Apple even cares about the pro user anymore. We pay the most for our hardware, spend lots of money on pro apps like the Final Cut Suite and are constantly ignored with hardware updates. Another iMac, c'mon already!

Pros know we're going to have to wait the longest for Intel PowerMacs, but get us dual core machines that will allow us to remain competitive during the next 2-3 years of the transition. Many of us are holding off on making major purchases until we know there's a significant update available.

Apple will make more money per sale selling to pros than on consumer gear and downloads they barely break even on.

7. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

sorry if this sounds rude but,
    what is the point of threads like this? I mean everytime there is an updated tons of threads spring about on macrumors saying this wasnt updated, why? We know it wasnt and no WE DONT KNOW WHY! It just makes me angry that I have to scroll down a bunch of threads which are pointless and virtually the same. Ok no new powerbooks or powermacs WTF can we do about it, no point in whining.

/rant
    Once again I apologize for being rude

8. generik macrumors 601

generik

I suspect it is all in the volume.

Consumers swamp pro users by 1:20 easily... and I'm pretty sure Steve is more than happy to replace each and every loyal Apple user with 20 new iPoop customers.

Hey, it sounds bad, but there's the latest update for ya.

9. djkny macrumors 6502

what garbage

SJ, shamelessly diverting attention from the fact Mac's Pro series is wasting away. Instead, he provides more iCandy with new iPods. yea!

Rename the company Apple iPod, Inc. and give me all the powerbooks so I can junk them as outdated museum pieces at the MoMa. I will officially call the exhibit: "Metal Corrosion."

10. CyberDoberman macrumors member

Kinda sick to my stomach

I am soooo mad.

I needed a new computer, and bought the 2.7Ghz G5 (oops... edited) from a local retailer that allows a return with no restocking fee.

WHY? So that I could take it back w/in the month and get the latest and greatest.

And now this iMac has PCI Express? **** YOU Apple.

I'm taking it back and building a bad ass PC.

I'm through with this crap.

11. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

where is this 2.7 G4 O_O you have me amazed with this.

12. not28 macrumors member

Oh my god please stop whining about it.

13. revisionA macrumors 6502

The previous iMac's were overheating, so they needed an update.

The promacs cant be far behind, if they can put a g5 with pci express and ddr2 together for one type of customers, WE KNOW it can and will be done for the rest of us... perhaps even silently.

Apple knows any single change to the store will spread like wildfire due to word of mouth.

The thermal issue is also why they only bumped the processor by 5%

S.

14. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Not only 100Mhz faster, but two new apps, thinner design, and built in iSight. ;)

While I'm somewhat disappointed that there have been near zero updates to the pro line, the update to the iMac was decent, IMO. I'm hoping there will be one more update for the Powerbooks before the Intel switch. I don't think they can go go 1.5 years without some update to the Powerbook (last PB update Jan '04, Intel coming June '06). So maybe we'll see updates in the coming weeks....

15. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

The pro-series is not washing away, it has dual g5 2.7 computers, that is very decent for todays standards. One always wants more but i think you are being too negative

16. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

well i will say I am very much blown away by the updates the imac g5 WOW all I can say is pc companys watch out that it an icredible machine for the price even when you compare to pc's which are cheaper than dirt these days. The only thing I dont like is now im gonna have a hell of a time choseing what ipod to buy nano or ipod its so hard to chooose. What do you expect from the powerbooks and powermacs apple hasnt given you guys anything big in over a year have fun waiting for intels im sticking with my ibook and maybe a imac g5 ohhh so tempting.

17. djkny macrumors 6502

They can go 1.5 years without updates to PowerBooks only with the current price points:

15" PB (combo) $1199
    15" PB (super) $1399
    17' PB $1599.

Only then would I maybe be persuaded by Apple to take one of these, after they include a $350 rebate for a new iPod ... at the very least.

you know what, why bother -- I'll get the Dull GPS now.

18. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Why does everyone have to fricken complain. The powerbooks are plenty fast when maxed out for anyone. EVEN A GAMER! and if you are a computer snob you can go get a gaming pc laptop if you want to be a baby. Also, the dual 2.7ghz powermac is plenty fast for everyting as well. So stop writting "Im SOOOOO Disapointed" before I throw up.
    :mad:

19. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

If thats the case, why arent they in the Powerbooks? :rolleyes:

20. CyberDoberman macrumors member

Stop whining about it? Are you farking serious?

I dropped $3700 down on that machine, including tax. Do you KNOW what I can freaking buy on a PC for that kinda change?

I'm not even concerned with the CPU speed as much as I am:

DDR2 RAM, BETTER VIDEO CARD, PCI EXPRESS, and other enhancments.

You know, those things that have been standard on PCs for OVER A ****ING YEAR?

I mean, for the love of GOD... the Video card standard on Apples TOP MACHINE... is TWO GENERATIONS OLD! Not only is the 9600x series not made anymore... but the X800 series is now old. ATI is onto their X1K Series of cards. But noooo... Apples $3K Most Expensive PRO MACHINE still only comes with a video card whose brain is 2 COMPLETE GENERATIONS BEHIND!

I'm not asking for bleeding edge... but god dmaned it... man... stay in the farking CENTURY!

I'm not asking for a 4Ghz CPU Apple... just ****ing update your god damned BUS SYSTEMS to the REST OF THE WORLD!

21. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

You say your not asking for a 4ghz and to just "****ing" update the system bus? Well I dont know what your smokin, but I think 1.35ghz per processor is unreal. What are you doing that you see slow downs with that?(editing 500 terabytes of video on 50 30" apple screens maybee?) You also do know that 2.7 + 2.7 is more than 4 right? Oh and one more thing. If your so discusted with apples why did you drop "$3700" on one? Maybee because its a superior system to a crappy pc? let me know.
    ;)

22. CyberDoberman macrumors member

****** Video Card

http://apps.ati.com/ir/PressReleaseText.asp?compid=105421&releaseID=607773

You guys realize that the VIDEO CARD THAT IS IN THE TOP APPLE COMPUTER WAS RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC OVER 2 and a HALF YEARS AGO!

THEY ARE USING 2 AND A HALF YEAR OLD TECHNOLOGY IN THEIR PRO MACHINES, AND CHARGING A PREMIUM FOR IT!

I AM SOOOOO PISSED THEY DIDN'T UPDATE THEM!@

23. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

you would! :mad:

24. CyberDoberman macrumors member

Dude... please don't talk about things you have NO CLUE about...

Sure, the bus is 1.35Ghz... but the memory bus is choking along at 400Mhz.

Whereas, the new Intel P4 Memory DDR2 Bus is as fast as 1Ghz.

CPU bus alone is nice... but STILL creates a bottleneck if the arfing MEMORY BUS slows it down.

Secondly, NO, 2 2.7 GHZ CPUS do NOT equal a 4Ghz CPU.

First of all, they will be SLOWER on single-threaded apps due to a CPU overhead... hence the move to dual-core CPUs.

Secondly, even on apps that ARE multi-threaded, you do not get a full 2x the speed benefit... typically 35-60% benefit... based on the app and how it was written.

AND IF YOU WOULD READ THE POST... I bought it because my main machine died... and I wanted to try the Apple world out. I love OSX so far... but the machine is not a fast machine compared to the Single P4 2.8 I had. Actually, boot times, program run times, everything is slower on this machine than on my single 2.8Ghz P4.

I only bought it because I needed a computer, and wanted to try the MAC OUT... and SUPPOSEDLY knew that the newer, updated machines would be out w/in my 30 day return policy window.

It's going back one way or the other... I need a machine.

I just won't pay $3600 for this pile of crap.

25. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i have not seen a troll bitch so much in my life o_O this is utter stupidity.

your boring me go away please

and my dual 1.8 is faster than any windows computer i have used