Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
WRXHokie said:
Depends on the circumstances of course. But if he can wait, why should he buy outdated hardware at a premium price? Would you buy a 2 year old car for sticker price? You have to be smart about it... thats all.

I hear what you are saying and with the update to the iMac line I agree that something is around the corner for the Power* range, but for people to compare the Mac to PC is pointless one runs OS X the other doesn't.

I think it comes down to what people have been saying here since I joined this forum, if you need a new Mac buy it if you don't wait until you do.

Personally I use Macs for OS X, and the current range is the best it has ever been, of course it will get better over time, and one day we'll all be using x86. I'll still be using OS X, and it sounds like some of the whinners here will be using Windows, that's good life goes on...

g0gie

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2005
risc said:
I hear what you are saying and with the update to the iMac line I agree that something is around the corner for the Power* range, but for people to compare the Mac to PC is pointless one runs OS X the other doesn't.

I think it comes down to what people have been saying here since I joined this forum, if you need a new Mac buy it if you don't wait until you do.

Personally I use Macs for OS X, and the current range is the best it has ever been, of course it will get better over time, and one day we'll all be using x86. I'll still be using OS X, and it sounds like some of the whinners here will be using Windows, that's good life goes on...

- wrong you can get OSX on a pc easilly, just go to the x86 project website and follow instructions. Why do you think so many people are building white boxes or even getting thinkpads to install teh hacked osx on. And i guarantee it will feel much faster than whatever mac ur running right now- although it wont be able to execute software except that native to OSX

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
g0gie said:
- wrong you can get OSX on a pc easilly, just go to the x86 project website and follow instructions. Why do you think so many people are building white boxes or even getting thinkpads to install teh hacked osx on. And i guarantee it will feel much faster than whatever mac ur running right now- although it wont be able to execute software except that native to OSX

Well there you go! I actually support Apple you condon the piracy of their product, nice attitude! Thank you for showing your true colours here. LAMER!

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Rob587 said:
Why does everyone have to fricken complain. The powerbooks are plenty fast when maxed out for anyone. EVEN A GAMER! and if you are a computer snob you can go get a gaming pc laptop if you want to be a baby. Also, the dual 2.7ghz powermac is plenty fast for everyting as well. So stop writting "Im SOOOOO Disapointed" before I throw up.
:mad:

Apple Computers - Today's prices for yesterday's computers.

Rob587 said:
You say your not asking for a 4ghz and to just "****ing" update the system bus? Well I dont know what your smokin, but I think 1.35ghz per processor is unreal. What are you doing that you see slow downs with that?(editing 500 terabytes of video on 50 30" apple screens maybee?) You also do know that 2.7 + 2.7 is more than 4 right? Oh and one more thing. If your so discusted with apples why did you drop "$3700" on one? Maybee because its a superior system to a crappy pc? let me know.
;)

1.35Ghz per processor is unreal?

Please do not question what the OP needs done on his desktop, you have no right to dictate how he wishs to spend his money.

Maybee... Maybe not

Laptops on OS X are nice, but on a desktop the advantages rapidly diminishes by my book...

risc said:

Just wait and see Apple attempt to pull this same argument off next time with MacIntels. The market may be stupid, but not THAT stupid...

Every Joe knows what "artificial restriction" means.

risc said:

http://opensuse.org
http://www.linux.org

Any more questions? No? Good.

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
Patmian212 said:
sorry if this sounds rude but,
what is the point of threads like this? I mean everytime there is an updated tons of threads spring about on macrumors saying this wasnt updated, why? We know it wasnt and no WE DONT KNOW WHY! It just makes me angry that I have to scroll down a bunch of threads which are pointless and virtually the same. Ok no new powerbooks or powermacs WTF can we do about it, no point in whining.
So, ignore the thread and move along. It is good to be able to vent somewhere.....better then going on a killing spree... :eek:

g0gie

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2005
risc said:
Well there you go! I actually support Apple you condon the piracy of their product, nice attitude! Thank you for showing your true colours here. LAMER!

I'm actually a developer for filemaker and we have multipul x86 dev boxes so please dont accuse. On a side note, anyone that doesnt know of the x86 project that reads these forums is blind. so thank you for making this point- you act like a 10 year old brat. please be more mature

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
g0gie said:
I'm actually a developer for filemaker and we have multipul x86 dev boxes so please dont accuse. On a side note, anyone that doesnt know of the x86 project that reads these forums is blind. so thank you for making this point- you act like a 10 year old brat. please be more mature

I would hope as a "developer" you wouldn't want people pirating your product? I'm a 10 year old brat because I pay for software, and use it on the platform it was designed for, and have a good time using it?

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
eva01 said:
wicked annoying post, my laptop runs everything i own beautifully, why would i want anything else? all i need is more RAM in my powerbook. And when my computer can't run the newest software well, i will just buy another powerbook, no worries there.
Yup. My little iBook runs everything I need perfectly. Actually does a better job of MS Office (which I use a lot). I'm also more effiecient on the little 12" display then I am with my 19" windows machine. Expose, and just the whole OSX integration makes me more productive.

g0gie

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2005
risc said:
I would hope as a "developer" you wouldn't want people pirating your product? I'm a 10 year old brat because I pay for software, and use it on the platform it was designed for, and have a good time using it?

Wow, can I not explain this enough. I work with x86 computers WITH LEGAL copies of the x86 version of osx on them. Just because I know of the x86 project in the community doesnt mean i take part in it. I dont pirate any of my software either- or any of my movies and music for that matter. Please think before you speak

CyberDoberman

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2005
VanMac said:
Yup. My little iBook runs everything I need perfectly. Actually does a better job of MS Office (which I use a lot). I'm also more effiecient on the little 12" display then I am with my 19" windows machine. Expose, and just the whole OSX integration makes me more productive.

Why is it an annoying post when I'm agreeing with everything regarding the OS... all I've said is that I think that Apple should give someone spending $5 GRAND and more with a monitor at least access to technology that isn't 3 years old! Esp. when they lag SEVERAL generations behind on such important areas as the Video Cards.

Don't forget... MUCH of the OS's graphical work is off-loaded to the GPU on the Video card... you'd think it'd make sense for them to keep the best damn video card on the planet in there.

I love everything about OSX... and it kills me to no end to think about how GREAT it would run on current hardware...

ARGH!!!!!~

g0gie

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2005
CyberDoberman said:
Why is it an annoying post when I'm agreeing with everything regarding the OS... all I've said is that I think that Apple should give someone spending $5 GRAND and more with a monitor at least access to technology that isn't 3 years old! Esp. when they lag SEVERAL generations behind on such important areas as the Video Cards.

Don't forget... MUCH of the OS's graphical work is off-loaded to the GPU on the Video card... you'd think it'd make sense for them to keep the best damn video card on the planet in there.

I love everything about OSX... and it kills me to no end to think about how GREAT it would run on current hardware...

ARGH!!!!!~

exactly my point :)

MacPassion

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2005
OZ
I've been trying to sell my 6month old laptop for 2 months in order to buy a new powerbook...and now again...no update

i'm so glad i did not find anyone wanting my machine...i'm so glad i did not sell it....do you know what? I'll stick with my HP till it will last. for that time, hopefully steve will understand that it is about time he come up with models that are competive...How long does it take to Apple to understand that those PB are old and too expensive for what they are? !?!?!? A 6 years old kid would know it....

I'm so upset. so upset...

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
re:whining

not28 said:
Oh my god please stop whining about it.

Oh my god please stop whining about it.

I agree about the whining...I've been whining about Apple's "pro" products for a decade now. After this whining post, I'm done. I lived through the Moto debacle...now the IBM debacle, and the IBM partnership DID look promising for...uhhhh... a few months. :rolleyes:

As a 3d (Maya) professional, I'm placing an order for a TRUE workstation from Boxxtech.....you know, a computer with something better than a mid-level GAMING(!) graphics card as a BTO option(!) representing their "high-end performance". Plus, after Apple SWITCHES to Intel...the Boxxtech workstation won't be obsolete like the dual core Power Macs that are coming soon. Speaking of which...here's a prediction for ya...when Apple releases the new dual core PowerMacs "next week" with PCI-e, DDR2, etc...oh...and with a nVidia 7800GT as their high end graphics option... :eek: ...it will not be worthy of Apple staging a media event with Stevie-boy...and THAT my friends...will say it all. They are making too much money catering to the masses now....and honestly, that's fine...the iPod and iMac are great indeed...AND... it IS a business, but...Apple (SJ)...please stop pretending you are "innovating" at the pro level of performance. It's embarassing to watch. Apple is WAY behind in "Pro" performance. SJ is head of "iPods R us". That people like myself have / are jumping ship is / will take it's toll...making the "Pro" line even less important to Apple's bottom line...thus less worthy of r&d investment.

Many here...myself included, want new Powerbooks. Feel like crying? Go to boxxtech.com/ ...check out the specs on a GoBoxx 2300 laptop...trust me...YOU ...WILL... SHED TEARS.

Finally... I love the Apple platform and probably always will. There *are* many things to celebrate about Apple products, but despite some great Pro/semi-Pro apps..Shake, Logic, FCP...their hardware is CONSISTENTLY behind the times...and that effects my livelihood. So...so long... Stevie-boy...i'll check back in 2008....to see if your walk matches your talk.

peace

johannes

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2005
CyberDoberman said:

ARGH!!!!!~

I agree. I wish Apple would do smaller more frequent updates to the line.. ie: add DDR2 to the powermac as soon as it's available. Faster dual layer drives come out? Add them. Better vid cards? Add them. Then I could buy a powermac at anytime knowing I'm getting the best tech available. That is the way it should be.

electronboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2005
Pro Users Have a RIGHT to be MAD!

Patmian212 said:
sorry if this sounds rude but,
what is the point of threads like this? I mean everytime there is an updated tons of threads spring about on macrumors saying this wasnt updated, why? We know it wasnt and no WE DONT KNOW WHY! It just makes me angry that I have to scroll down a bunch of threads which are pointless and virtually the same. Ok no new powerbooks or powermacs WTF can we do about it, no point in whining.

/rant
Once again I apologize for being rude

the pro users are the reason for apple's existence today. had all the pro users decided not to stick with apple during the tough times then there would have never been all this iCandy.

You don't care about the pro hardware stuff becuase you obviously don't do processor intensive stuff on your computer. I mean look at your equipment specs! Please!

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
electronboy said:
the pro users are the reason for apple's existence today. had all the pro users decided not to stick with apple during the tough times then there would have never been all this iCandy.

You don't care about the pro hardware stuff becuase you obviously don't do processor intensive stuff on your computer. I mean look at your equipment specs! Please!

Listen the only reason I dont have high equipment specs is beacuase im 16 and broke! Not everyone has that much cash so no need to dump on my setup! Its a pain to run logic and ableton on my ibook and godforbid my sawtooth! Pro updates are imminent! So stop whing they will come out soon THEY HAVE TOO or no one would buy powermacs, the people at apple arent retards.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
I have to sympathize with the Pro whiners. Yes, we are a bit overly obsessed with specs and power, but that's part of the reason we are pros - obsession with technology and what can be done with the cutting edge stuff.

At the same time, I consider Apple's software to be cutting edge where Windows has lagged inexcusably, so it's not just a matter of hardware. You can buy a badass PC, but for the most part, you're stuck with the OS.

You definitely pay a premium for a Power* and you pay that premium every few years if you remain a pro. For those of us who run our own businesses in this economy, it's more than understandable that you'd be hesitant to buy a Power* today when they SHOULD be updated any time now. Six months less of obsolescence is very desirable for a profession where the tech turnover is a few years at best. The technology in the Power* lines has lagged and it's simply not an economical time to buy for many of us... thus you get the frustration, be it occasionally overblown.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
amen!

electronboy said:

excellent point!

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
electronboy said:
My first mac was the powermac 7500, very happy with it, I really dont care much about the looks. And actually Im pretty sure the pro users were abandoning apple during those times and it was the return of steve jobs and his "icandy" that revived apple. No icandy and I thik apple would have been a skidmark on technology history. Only with the icandy did people start to notice the OS and fell inlove with it. Then the truth came out, windows BLOWS.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Patmian212 said:
My first mac was the powermac 7500, very happywith it, I really dont care much about the looks. And actually Im pretty sure the pro users were abandoning apple during those time and it was the return of steve jobs and his"icandy" that revived apple. No icandy and I thik apple would ahve been a skidmark on technology history. Only with the icandy did people start to notice the OS and fell inlove with it. Then the truth came out, windows BLOWS.

yeah no original iMac and iPod, no more apple in my opinion. the iMac was the comeback of apple

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
I am surprised to tell you the truth, I checked apples website early in the morning, and nothing happened, I come home and I see that Apple dropped the eMac, didn't update the powermac or the powerbook, instead....they update the iMac G5, something I just bought 2 weeks ago!!!! And must we not forget the iPod that has video capabilities..I'm actually excited about this new iPod, it will definetely bring more customers. :D

johno@home

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2005
Show me the dual core

Maybe the development staff are so busy watching Madonna on their dual core video ipods that their not getting their work done.

o_behave

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2005
Rob587 said:
So stop writting "Im SOOOOO Disapointed" before I throw up.
:mad:

its not the speed.. that would be enough for me... i just need a bigger screen res on a 15 inch.. thats all i am waiting for... seriously.

That's why I am soooo disapointed (please dont throw up ;-)

o.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.