Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I would like to buy some full sized wireless headphones for home use, not running or something like that. I am interested in the solo3 but wonder which are the best for R&B music? Any advice? Some people here are sure beats are garbage. So what is better than?

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Anyone using the current Beats Studio Wireless?

Got mine a few weeks ago and they feel very tight on my head and ears. Ears are sweaty in less than 30 mins. Does it get looser over time?

The cnet review a year or so ago says it's one of the most comfortable headphone around... really?

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
I couldn't care less about mass consumer Beats junk, but I would like to know more about the W1 chip.

There's no real clarity on the audio quality. Is it lossless, compressed? What are the specifications of the audio output?

This secrecy from Apple needs to end and they need to provide clear specification for the audio industry to take them seriously.

In the meantime, I'll continue with my "SD" (sic), B&W P5 S2's with a chord.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
They couldn't improve the battery life? I am reading that right aren't I? They couldn't improve the battery life?

They can make teeny tiny completely wireless buds with 5 hours of battery life per charge and they can't squeeze more juice into something as comparatively gargantuan as the Studio cans? How about a second, even if it's smaller, battery in the other earcup. Or design a battery that can fit in the headband, y'know some sort of innovation.

I'm calling bull on this, either they don't want to shell out extra money for better designed or extra batteries. Or they finally realised how bad they sound compared to similarly priced offerings from other manufacturers and want to do something hitherto unheard of for Beats and want to improve on the audio quality.

But can't get better battery life, can't? Complete and utter arse gravy.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
In most cases it doesn't. I find it difficult to understand how easily influenced some people are into parting with their hard earned cash for cheaply made and unnecessary junk.

And yet you choose to have a picture from an ad as your avatar picture? Pretty ironic

Fynd

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010

Got mine a few weeks ago and they feel very tight on my head and ears. Ears are sweaty in less than 30 mins. Does it get looser over time?

The cnet review a year or so ago says it's one of the most comfortable headphone around... really?

They might just not be suitable for your head. Mine are incredibly comfortable outside of very extended periods of gaming (7+ hours...). As a generally sweaty person, my ear cups stay dry as well. Mine have definitely loosened up a little, I've owned them for around three months now.

As a side note, I recommend the V-Moda Boom Pro (http://v-moda.com/boompro-microphone/) to anyone that has these. It's excellent and allows me to use my expensive headphones with my PS4 with a high quality mic.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
Anyone buying Beats headphones has no self respect. They're garbage headphones, mediocre sound quality and extremely overpriced.

Why would ANYONE buy them when for that money you could get an incredible pair of Sennheiser headphoes... ones that are wired and don't need constant charging either?
Convinience.

Believe me, I know you can get better headphones for the price, I have a whole bunch of headphones and some amps, including some fairly good ones.

Yet a pair of Beats Studio Wireless has basically replaced my Sennheiser ie8 and Sony MDR-7506 for portable use, and Beyerdynamic DT-880 and AKG K340 for home use. Why? The Beats don't sound nearly as good as any of the aforementioned. But the Beats are wireless, offer noice cancelling and are circumaural, all in a fairly compact form factor. Travelling a lot and working in a noisy environment, I find them surprisingly capable and convinient.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I couldn't care less about mass consumer Beats junk, but I would like to know more about the W1 chip.

There's no real clarity on the audio quality. Is it lossless, compressed? What are the specifications of the audio output?
There is nothing special about the audio specs. It uses standard Bluetooth A2DP with AAC codec support. The main advantage of the chip is high power efficiency. It also implements a proprietary signaling protocol on top of Bluetooth (presumably using LE mode) which is used by compatible iOS/macOS devices to control auto-pairing and -connecting.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

This secrecy from Apple needs to end and they need to provide clear specification for the audio industry to take them seriously.

In the meantime, I'll continue with my "SD" (sic), B&W P5 S2's with a chord.
Uh, I don't think the W1 has anything to do with the audio process but instead is a glorified dedicated bluetooth controller. That's my take on it anyway.

But why are you demanding an end to "secrecy" on a chip that hasn't been released yet in any product? On top of that, have you checked into your Made For iPhone OEM membership? You are an accessory partner with Apple right? Otherwise why would you be demanding information on a non-released product?

Beck Show

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2016
U.S.A.
Oh no! A cord! How dare someone use a cord that gives superior sound quality and the ability to forget about batteries and charging! HOW DARE THEY USE A CORD!
People can use cords as they please. Like I said, just be careful not to trip on it. You can hold on to your beloved cords forever, but I would bet pretty soon you'll be in the minority. Enjoy.
[doublepost=1474661634][/doublepost]

I love my Studio wireless pair. They definitely are very comfortable for me. It is one of the many pros for sure. They do "loosen up" a bit over time. Hopefully your situation with them improves.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
People can use cords as they please. Like I said, just be careful not to trip on it. You can hold on to your beloved cords forever, but I would bet pretty soon you'll be in the minority. Enjoy.

I've been enjoying hassle-free (no charging needed!) superior sound quality for years. You haven't and won't be for a long time. As if that one petty cord really is that big of a problem for you anyway... reminds of the gluttonous sloths making excuses for needing an Apple watch, as if they werent so lazy to pull out their phones from their pockets that does everything the watch does (and then some) anyway... AND requires it to be near the watch at all times as well!

Go ahead, use your wireless solution, you always had that option anyway, but get off your high horse if you think it's the ONLY solution and the 3.5mm plug has no place.

Youre precious wireless solution was never impeded before when the 3.5mm plug was there anyway and it wouldnt be in the future anyway. So what makes you so selfish to think YOUR way of doing things should be the only way?

r03dz

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2014
Unfortunately, you cant debate the fact that Beats headphones sound like trash and are priced as high as Sennheisers.

Not sure why you even bothered making that comment.

Alright Mr. High And Mighty.

I own both the Studios and the 598s. Yes, the Sennheiser's sound better... but they're open ear. Furthermore, I purchased the Studios on sale for $170.00, please find me some decent Wireless, Over-ear headphones with noise cancelling for $170.00. You won't.

Beck Show

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2016
U.S.A.
I've been enjoying hassle-free (no charging needed!) superior sound quality for years. You haven't and won't be for a long time. As if that one petty cord really is that big of a problem for you anyway... reminds of the gluttonous sloths making excuses for needing an Apple watch, as if they werent so lazy to pull out their phones from their pockets that does everything the watch does (and then some) anyway... AND requires it to be near the watch at all times as well!

Go ahead, use your wireless solution, you always had that option anyway, but get off your high horse if you think it's the ONLY solution and the 3.5mm plug has no place.

Youre precious wireless solution was never impeded before when the 3.5mm plug was there anyway and it wouldnt be in the future anyway. So what makes you so selfish to think YOUR way of doing things should be the only way?
You mentioned hassle-free due to not having to charge. The cord they are attached with is a hassle. Wouldn't that mean they are no longer hassle-free? Yeah, I think so. Regardless of whether it is one "petty" cord or 100 cords, it does make a difference. Either the experience is wireless and free or it is wired and tethered. That one cord causes the experience to be wired, which is less convenient. I don't know what the watch has to do with this but I'll address it. Why does anyone need to have excuses for buying an Apple Watch? If they want it and choose to purchase it then that is their choice. It doesn't make them gluttonous or sloths. You also mentioned lazy, which I think may apply to your not wanting to charge headphones. Plugging a headphone in to charge would be just as simple as pulling your phone out of your pocket to check the time I think. I wouldn't be so quick to throw judgements around, which you seem to love to do. Also, if you don't like charging things or are too lazy to do so, you may be in some trouble in the future. Who knows, you might even have to charge your car. But maybe those people who buy electric cars will be considered by you to be "gluttonous sloths" as well.

The wireless solution is not currently the only option. It is, however, the most convenient one. The 3.5 mm doesn't have a place with the new iPhone and likely other Apple devices shortly. I believe a couple Android OEMs also feel the same way about their devices.

You're right, the headphone jack never impeded wireless sound. No one has claimed that it did. The removal of the jack by Apple was done to provide its customers with other features (stereo sound, larger Taptic Engine to drive the new home button, larger battery, and dual cameras, to name some). My way of thinking isn't the only way, hence the lightning EarPods, the included adapter, other lightning headphone options, etc. My way of thinking is probably in line with the masses however; who will be fine with the boxed EarPods or the apapter or simply with buying a wireless option. Kicking against the pricks will get you absolutely nowhere. Apple gave you alternatives, and if you don't like them or won't choose them then it may be time to move along. It's as simple as that.

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
As a musician who has released numerous albums and EPs over the last 20 yo ears I can honestly say I have never ever seen Beats headphones in any studio. Not even home studios.

Reactions: beanbaguk

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
That most of the new Beats headphones still use Micro-USB is all kinds of sad. Perhaps my least favourite connector. Just move to Lightning for charging and dump wired used entirely. Solo3 aren't a DJ headphone anyway, and with 40-hour battery life and a 400+ foot range wires are the least concern.

And while Apple are at it just move to Lightning to Lightning for all of their iOS charging cables/plugs.

So you feel that only Apple users should be able to use Beats gear? A lightning connector arguably forces that.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
So the BeatsX have a lightning port, but the others have a micro-USB. Makes no sense. Stick to one...

I've never tried Beats as a brand for headphones. Always been on Bose (the wired earphone types) and been in love since the beginning. Now I am in need (literally) of something wireless. I really like the BeatsX (they are priced okay too, just short battery life at 6 hours which is a bummer since most flights are at minimum 6 hours for me and I travel a lot), but don't know if I should stick to my tried and tested brand, Bose, and just get the Bose SoundSport instead (same price and battery life, but of course no lightning port). Also, I like the look of the ear piece of the Bose when compared to the BeatsX. It looks like my MiE2s and they are super comfy.

Anyone with lots of headphones experience have any recommendations? How is Beats when compared to Bose on the following:
  1. Durability
    1. Material quality? Is it cheap material or well-constructed?
  2. Customer support
  3. Ease of replacement of components (say battery dies after 2 years)
  4. Anyone try the Qc35? Are they really worth $350?

Zoboomafoo

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
I'm just here to judge people based on their choice in headphones. It's the best use of my time, hands down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.