No nukes is bad news

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What the heck is going on now?

So...what? We have it but we're not telling anyone? And if we do have it, why are we being so secretive about it? Why can't the IAEA know what we're doing? Or did someone else make off with it, and we don't want anyone to find out?

What a fiasco this war is turning out to be.

2. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well _if_ it turns out that the US really has dismantled it by themseves and brought out of the country then they would be breaking IAEA regulations...
    the equipment missing is _heavy_ regulated (heck _whole buildings_ with equipment have disapeared because the US army secured other things first...)

i wonder if the parts ever apear again or if the US government mention it at least once ;)

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Maybe we found nuclear weapons and materials and Bush is sitting on them. Two days before the election he'll announce to the world, "I told you so!! They do have weapons!! Now vote for me Bitches!!!"

Ok, probably not, but its a thought. ;)

4. vwcruisn macrumors regular

this actually isn't an unlikely possibility... there have been rumors for months about an "october surprise" which ranges anywhere from elevated terror alerts, to "finding" bin laden (conveniently a few days before the election).

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Exactly. We went in to get those WMDs... yet we ignored the nuclear facilities to guard the oil fields. Just like the terrorists were in Afganistan... so we invaded Iraq. Duh George. :rolleyes:

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah and in baghdad guess which governmental building was secured first ? ..correct .. the building where the administration responsible for the oil fields was located...

this whole "oil first" strategy from the US forces in iraq (and the very soon lost attention with afghanistan) made me rethink my position about iraq...

7. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Got a link for that?

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

sorry it came back into mind in the news show "Zeit im Bild" on the austrian ORF yesterday about the missing nulcear material and the US amry failing to secure it

but it's far from 'news' ..i've read it here before:
    http://derstandard.at/?url=/?id=1270311
    (german)
    and it was topic in many tv reports,newspaper articles before...
    it's called "ministry for oil" or something like that... was the best guarded Ministry of iraq before the war under saddam and the first the US army took over during the war and guarded the best... (while looting was going on in all the other ministries)

i didn't expected that it was news to anyone...

Edit: according to the "Hague convention" destroying of cultural heritage or allowing that it gets destroyed by somebody else is a War-Crime (the Museum of Baghdad got looted because the US army didn't secured it as well..that counts as destroying cultural heritage)... luckily the US never signed the "Hague convention" ("Haager Landkriegsordnung" for the german speaking members) and the geneva convention is not so picky about it (the US had to bomb it with full purpose to make it a war crime according to geneva convention)
    additional links..sorry i was wrong it wasn't the only one who got secured
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3401035&thesection=news&thesubsection=dialogue
    http://www.opinion.telegraph.co.uk/...14.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/04/14/ixnewstop.html
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,936399,00.html

9. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Thanks for the link, interesting read. I for one did not know that.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Neither do most people. Neither did I until Kerry said it during the debate. Well, Moore mentioned it in F9/11 as a possibility, but... you know. Not exactly a partisan source. I had heard mumblings, and kinda figured anyway, but was really shocked to find just how rampant it was. They didn't even try to hide it. Thousands dead or injured... for oil. While Bin Laden runs free, gathering more troops against the "evil" America. This administration did exactly what he said we would.

And you want me to defend the President, or else I'm a traitor? I don't think so Bush. Love the country, hate the government that perverts it. You better do a good job cleaning up this mess Kerry.

11. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

If he gets elected that is. I would love to get my hands on the debates, but unfortunately they are only on the iTMS in the States. :(

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Audible.com

13. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Why isn't the fact that whole buildings are missing being addressed by the Administration? A simple Statement would be nice. I mean, what the hell are they playing at? Did they not notice this going on? I saw reports MONTHS ago that convoys of trucks were leaving Iraq loaded to the gunwales, trucks being driven by KBR drivers. Either they are driving a coach and horses through IAEA regulations (while threatening Iran and North Korea with annihilation for doing the same), or they are being as incompetent and negligent about guarding this stuff as they were about guarding the ammo dumps (DOH!), the Ministries and the Museum.

Good Job!

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No problem. That's where Apple gets it too.

16. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

BTW, Schröder denied that there will ever be German troops in Iraq and took back the statement made by Struck.
    That doesn't mean though that we couldn't send troops to Kuwait, etc. so you can pull some of yours out or send the medical corps, etc.
    Struck said what everybody was thinking but he is not quite the smartest fella ever that's why he didn't think before talking.

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well Schröder said something like "no armed troops in the next few years" so it's not 'never' ..theoretically ... the whole thing is such a 'diplomacy','exact words' stuff ..it is really unbelievable...

didn't germany actually provide anti-NBC troops/equipment to saudi arabia 'just in case' ? at least i remebers something liek that

18. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I thought it to be Kuwait but it could be both countries. And yes, it is exact word stuff, but isn't this what diplomacy always is? :D
    And as I said, no ARMED forces IN Iraq does not mean there aren't many other military options...