No OBL capture "surprise"? WTF?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 2jaded2care, Nov 2, 2004.

1. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Well, apparently there will be no OBL capture "surprise" , at least not that I can find evidence of so far today...

Not going to say "I told you so", since admittedly I didn't... I won't put much anything past any politician, but this did seem to belong in the "black helicopters" column... along with Teresa, Madeleine, and apparently lots of other Dems.

I guess it's always possible, of course, that Bush & Co. do have OBL, maybe in cryogenic suspension at Halliburton HQ, and are just waiting to thaw him out to harass a possible Democratic administration... BWA-HA-HA-HA!

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Uhhh... did you see the videotape? OBL put to rest that conspiricy last week.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, he said that Bush was giving him lots of help in financially ruining the United States. Who knew that Bush was bin Laden's ally?

4. 2jaded2care thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I saw the snippets of videotape. I figured it would have been interpreted to be a Republican ploy, a staged event to help W, and provide convenient clues which would make a sudden capture seem plausible. Just leave it to those nasty Republicans...

OBL's call for the American people to insist on change in foreign policy didn't seem like it was intended to help Bush's reelection to me. Might be kind of hard to be an ally if he's not re-elected, but what would I know?

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So you're OK with the Iranians explicitly endorsing Bush, even though you are against Kerry because you feel this bin Laden tape is pro-Kerry?

6. 2jaded2care thread starter macrumors 6502

The Iranians explicitly endorsed Bush? Gotta look that one up, that's strange. Don't guess he exactly publicized that one...

Honestly, I should base any political decisions on anything OBL said? I don't know what to think about the tape, I haven't seen it completely or read a complete transcript. Tried to find it earlier, couldn't. Besides, I'm not exactly a behavioral scientist or particularly well-versed in radical Muslim theology or strategy, so I'm not sure I would have any idea how to "interpret" it. Safest bet is to consider everything he says to be false that I don't already have reason to believe true. For that matter, same for the "not developing nuclear arms, honest" Iranians.

It's just that conspiracy theories are kind of a pet peeve of mine. I tend to be somewhat skeptical. (Even *gasp* of this administration!...)

Things like this "OBL captured" rumor irritate me as much as doomsday books ("5/5/2000 Ice: The Ultimate Disaster!" -- yeah, right).

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Link

Not that it matters much now, but there you have it.

8. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

The guys who built my house are Iranian. They came to the states in the mid 70's. They are constantly fighting the Arab image, Mosud 1 partner can't stand arabs and is always reminding people that arabs are filthy and stupid, and that he is persian. I think the difference in the obl video and this Iranian statement bear it out. One played to W not meaning to and the other knew how to hurt W. After all the pen is mightier than the sword, unless of course the pen is a UN pen.