No official "I ordered a 17-inch MBP" thread yet? New Flagship owners speak up!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iHeartTheApple, Apr 29, 2006.

  1. iHeartTheApple macrumors 6502

    iHeartTheApple

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2006
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #1
    Honestly, I'm a little surprised that we haven't seen an official "I ordered a Flagship MPB" thread yet (I hope I didn't miss it?). :eek: Anyway, I'm considering selling my 17" PB and purchasing the new 17" MBP (I'm sure there are others like me still in hiding) and I figured I'd see how many of you out there have already taken the plunge...

    So, let this thread serve as a vehicle by which you new owners (if there are any, yet) can communicate your impressions/comments/complaints/praise to all of us still on the fence...that is, when you actually receive the new lappy. :D Speak up, my friends! :)
     
  2. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

    DHagan4755

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2002
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #2
    Geez, I was thinking the same thing! I ordered mine on Wednesday night. I have an estimated ship date of May 10, although I think (I hope) that it will ship much earlier! Fingers crossed. The Brenthaven Pro Shoulder Case that I ordered at the same time arrived Friday. For me, this will be an upgrade from a 1.5GHz 17-inch PowerBook G4.
     
  3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

    MovieCutter

    Joined:
    May 3, 2005
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #3
    Same here. Ordered on Monday morning, ship date May 8th, delivery May 11th. Stock with a 1GB stick waiting at home. Upgrading from the 15" MBP...coming from a line of 15" and a 17" (15" TiBook 667, 15" AlBook 1.25, 17" AlBook 1.5, 15" AlBook 1.67, 15" AlBook 1.67 hi res, 15" MBP) going BACK to the 17" should be fun. Sold the 15" MBP to upgrade to a FW800 and a Dual Layer superdrive. I even get 2" of screen space and an extra USB port out of the deal.
     
  4. corywoolf macrumors 65816

    corywoolf

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2004
    #4
    Can't wait for the Merom in November, only seven months away. I still love my 1.83 15" MBP, even though it's getting a little long in the tooth.

    :D
     
  5. macpastor macrumors regular

    macpastor

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2006
    #5
    I contemplated getting one, but after all of the issues with 3 MBP already, I just got the deal of the month at the Apple Store instead. A New! 17" PowerBook for $1500... This will hold me over until Fall when the Merom's come out.
     
  6. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2006
    #6
    Can't wait for Gesher in 2010.
     
  7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #7
    WOW that's amazing... congrats!
     
  8. yoda13 macrumors 65816

    yoda13

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2003
    Location:
    Texas
  9. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

    sk3pt1c

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2005
    Location:
    a simulacrum
    #9
    dunno guys, i'm still pretty happy with my 17" powerbook.
    i think you should wait like some people said for further upgrades on the
    macbook pros,wait to see if any problems will appear,dont just jump in
    and buy the first version,wait till it gets refined a bit...
    personally,i saw a 15" mbp and wasn't really impressed with the speed and
    all that...
    i'll wait a couple of years and see what the 17"s will look like then and maybe
    get one
     
  10. russed macrumors 68000

    russed

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2004
    Location:
    London, England
    #10
    well...i'm still waiting for the 17" powerbook G5. i heard rumors that they may be out this coming tuesday...






    :D
     
  11. assscat macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    #11
    Ordered mine (stock) last Tuesday (25th) – estimated shipping on May 9th, estimated delivery May 11th.

    Before I ordered I went into my local Apple store to see the 15" MBPs and weigh them again the 17" PowerBook they had on display. Was very impressed with the MBPs' displays. Decided that the extra weight of the 17" MBPs would not be excessive, and the extras for the modest increase in price were certainly worth the additional cost. So I decided on pre-ordering the 17" MBP. Using my HE discount from the online HE Apple Store! £1700 all in. :)
     
  12. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

    WinterMute

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2003
    Location:
    London, England
    #12
    I've begun negotiations with the Uni to replace my rev a 17" (1Ghz) machine as it's falling to bits.

    Problem is I need ProTools on it for lectures and the UB hasn't been released yet...:(

    Probably won't get one before end of May/June, but will be getting one.
     
  13. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

    MovieCutter

    Joined:
    May 3, 2005
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #13
    You obviously haven't used one for more than 5 minutes. My MBP is absolutely BLAZING fast. Safari is a whole different browser, Final Cut is incredible, and Motion performs like a Power Mac G5. I don't subscribe to that "don't buy Rev A." bull$#!t as mine is perfect (no whine, no heat issues, not even a stuck pixel). I actually sold my Quad because my MBP was so fast (and I'm waiting for the Intel Towers). Looking forward to receiving my 17" MBP. And when Merom gets dropped into them in a few months, I'll sell that 17" MBP and buy the next one...simple as that. I always need the fastest machine and need it now!
     
  14. iHeartTheApple thread starter macrumors 6502

    iHeartTheApple

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2006
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #14
    I was going to say, sk3pt1c...I've played around alot with the stock 15" MBP's at the apple stores and a few that my collegues have purchased and they are super fast compared to my Rev.E 17" PB! Most of the software I messed around with opened almost instantly.

    I'm pretty sure that I'll be trading my PB up for the flagship MBP, but I'd just like to hear from some of the first-week adopters whether it has the heat and whining issues. It would seem to me that Apple would have come up with a fix for at least the whining problem, since they've known about it since January, but who knows?!? :rolleyes:
     
  15. regre7 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2006
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #15
    I'm looking forward to switching after WWDC, and hopefully I can get a well-built MBP.

    I'm sure I'll see a serious speed increase after switching from my current PC (see sig).

    I'm really looking forward to the predicted price drop on 15-inchers.
     
  16. zenvision macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #16
    Hah I feel your pain! I'm running a 700mhz CELERON, 384mb ram, 40 gig HD... Actually, I'm hurting more than you I guess ;)

    And I'm a design student who does music in my space time...you can imagine how well my dream-machine runs :cool:

    As soon as those 17" merom MBP's drop...:D
     
  17. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

    DHagan4755

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2002
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #17
    Don't forget that the 17-inch MacBook Pro has a different motherboard design. The 17-inch MacBook Pro has a 3rd additional USB port and a Firewire 800 port that the 15-inch doesn't possess.
     
  18. regre7 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2006
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #18
    Wow! I guess I have to pass the torch of PC-loserdom to zenvision. I do a bit of stuff with Sony Vegas and After Effects (6.5, bah! not rich enough for 7.0).

    We should start a club.
     
  19. majorp macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2005
    Location:
    UK !!!
    #19

    didn't you go for the applecare 3 year for just £58? they just strated doing it....bargain
     
  20. assscat macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    #20
    But all that gets me is telephone support… All HE purchases now come with three years warranty included. I checked with the Apple Store and the only difference between the included warranty and AppleCare is the 'phone support.

    I've never made use of telephone support before, so £58 to me doesn't seem worth it. If anything were to go wrong with the MBP it's covered for repair – that's the important part of AppleCare to me.
     
  21. eVolcre macrumors 65816

    eVolcre

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2003
    #21
    Count me in as part of the 'Ordered 17" MBP" camp. I really lucked out though. My 15 MBP was declared DOA last weekend. I decided to wait and see what happened at NAB before replacing it. The second the 17" machine was announced, I called Apple and they agreed to send me a 17" instead of the 15". And, they actually GAVE ME back a $100. :eek:

    eV

    Shipping times similar to all of you -- I am also hoping they ship earlier though
     
  22. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

    h0e0h

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2004
    Location:
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    #22
    i keep checking apple's orderstatus page like a little kid at christmas waiting to peek at santa... hoping it will say shipped, instead of estimated shipping. I've even resorted to automatic notification of credit card posts of +$1000 to my cell phone so i will know instantly when it's charged to expect shipping
     
  23. TechnoPagan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2006
    #23
    Has anybody had luck in just walking into a store and picking up the 17"? I've promised myself one as a gift to myself on the last day of school (next Friday) and want to know if I should order one now.
     

Share This Page