Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
If you're not fimiliar with YTMND, it is website filled with user created gifs. I have a few of my own and some of them get average ratings. Well, I spent 5 hours total (not straight thru) working on this one gif and the music as well and got the lowest rating out of all my collection. That creation took the longest time to make out of all the other ones I made. Ridiculous!!! This is what I'm talkin about. Linksterz. I mean I think this is the best I have ever made, but others think not. :(

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Bobdude161 said:
If you're not fimiliar with YTMND, it is website filled with user created gifs. I have a few of my own and some of them get average ratings. Well, I spent 5 hours total (not straight thru) working on this one gif and the music as well and got the lowest rating out of all my collection. That creation took the longest time to make out of all the other ones I made. Ridiculous!!! This is what I'm talkin about. Linksterz. I mean I think this is the best I have ever made, but others think not. :(
Time spent is seldom an indicator of quality of work.

That being said, I can't access the site at work to tell you what I think of your work. :)

kaboutertje

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2006
Amsterdam, Netherlands
<criticism>
Maybe it's because:
- It's not funny ( I hate the song, but this simply isn't fun)
- It's not really blowing me away graphics wise(as in I've seen better gifs)
- Don't we have the flash format for things like this?
</criticism>

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Of course we do, since we all appreciate nudes painted on a a black velvet canvas.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
kaboutertje said:
<criticism>
Maybe it's because:
- It's not funny ( I hate the song, but this simply isn't fun)
- It's not really blowing me away graphics wise(as in I've seen better gifs)
- Don't we have the flash format for things like this?
</criticism>

I wouldn't exactly call YTMND good art either...

Ole! The big 1000

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
Johnny Rico said:
Art is subjective.

That however was awful.

I say the same thing when I visit those "modern art" museums. I was being sarcastic when I was saying art (couldn't you hear it over the internets?). I guess my humor is very different from others.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
It doesn't have anything to do with humour. The animation was very poorly done and that is why you are receiving low ratings.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
art????

iconnoexpressionww8.png

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
maybe because it's a lame ass gif, thiers nothing artistic about stoners.

tektonnic

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Bucks, UK
Agathon said:
No it's not.

People just say that to justify their bad taste.

Not only is art subjective, I don't think anyone can say, like they do in modern art museums, "I could have done that" - well you didn't though did you, thats why its impressive, personally I could have invented the computer, written romeo and juliet and invented the concorde if I had the idea first, but I didnt. That is art.

Taste and the appriciation that someone did something different are different, ie. I don't particulaly like Dali paintings but I do appriciate that they are original and therefore art.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Johnny Rico said:
Art is subjective.

That however was awful.

Agathon said:
No it's not.

People just say that to justify their bad taste.

Come, now. Take yourselves seriously and expand your points! Let's have a good, long talk about aesthetics!

*goes off to reanimate Tolstoy*

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
thedude110 said:
*goes off to reanimate Tolstoy*

Tolstoy?! I'm off to reanimate James Joyce. Now he had some solid ideas about the definition of art. Let's hear it for the claritas/integritas/consonatia theory!

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
I don't like Tolstsoy's aesthetics all that much either (clarity? communication? aren't we all uppity, Leo), but I'd want him in the conversation!

Joyce is great. But don't you think he's too epiphanic? I mean, is that real and human? I guess, but it seems really exaggerated to me.

Give me Frank O'Hara:

O'Hara said:
Everything is in the poems, but at the risk of sounding like the poor wealthy man’s Allen Ginsberg I will write to you because I just heard that one of my fellow poets thinks that a poem of mine that can’t be got at one reading is because I was confused too. Now, come on. I don’t believe in god, so I don’t have to make elaborately sounded structures. I hate Vachel Lindsay, always have; I don’t even like rhythm, assonance, all that stuff. You just go on your nerve. If someone’s chasing you down the street with a knife you just run, you don’t turn around and shout, "Give it up! I was a track star for Mineola Prep."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.