no one believes Chinese characters look odd on Mac's itune

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by caixiaoeva, Jan 26, 2007.

1. caixiaoeva macrumors newbie

not even on Mac's itune, it looks wierd both on Mac and PC.
    and don't tell me to convert ID3 tags to Unicode.
    it doesn't work. Now i have to use an extra third-party software to correct it.
    i'm so tired of doing this.
    don't think they are unusual characters. they are 'my man'.
    this is a screenshot of my itune.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/xiao.xcai/NewAlbum260107354PM/photo#5024492294852850018

i think someone has already posted this issue.
    trust me.
    it is not only my problem. All my Chinese friends using Mac have complained this issue to me.
    no one believes me on another Mac's forum.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

3. caixiaoeva thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx. i fixed it.
    it's a link to google album

4. caixiaoeva thread starter macrumors newbie

does this work?

Attached Files:

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's probably because they're not correctly encoded by the Windows user who first submitted them.

I only have one Chinese CD that was found in the database but it worked fine.

Attached Files:

6. caixiaoeva thread starter macrumors newbie

sweating..........
    it doesn't happen on foobar on PC.
    i kinda miss foobar.
    why is iTune so strict?

7. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i think i know why, but i'm not sure if i can explain it properly...

i think the Chinese characters are typed in as non-Unicode (if i understood unicode right), aka it doesn't tell the computer that does the encoding that it's chinese, therefore the computer that try to read it can't make sense of it...

in windows, if you set the default non-unicode language to chinese, it will display the characters properly.

that also happens if you try to install some chinese softwares that has all the menus and etc being chinese, sometimes they won't display properly either.

i had a BUNCH (i mean a bunch, like 300+) chinese songs that wouldn't display title, album, artist correctly, but luckily i had another file that had a table showing the file name - title - artist - album of every song, so i spent an afternoon typing chinese... yeah.. that was fun :S

i'm not sure how to do the non-unicode language thing in os x tho

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The only thing I can think to get around it might be to copy the characters to a text editor that does multiple encodings and switch it to UniCode and save everything.

Then, you could copy and paste back into iTunes.

9. caixiaoeva thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx. your explanation is helpful.
    you know what? i'm thinking about using songbird which can display Chinese correctly, but it's way bloated. it takes up Ram and CPu space.
    i'm struggling right now.

10. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

how many of the chinese songs do you have? why not just, em, type the chinese again (of course, that require you to know what the song title, artist, album are)

edit: don't be so defensive, i am not questioning your ability to type chinese, or understand chinese (for some reason chinese girls get defensive about their grasp on chinese quite often, and then it gets annoying)...

11. caixiaoeva thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx. but it didn't help.
    sigh~

12. caixiaoeva thread starter macrumors newbie

sweating again.
    I'm a Chinese.
    why do i need practice?
    i'm a lazy girl, i acknowledge that.
    i know i can retype the info and it works.
    but why should i waste my time editing song's title, artist and album's name?

13. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Mine is like that too. Copy and paste is your friend. :)

14. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i did not question your ethnical background nor your ability to type chinese. but the task does require you to know what the title, artist, and album are. (heck? practice what, did i even mention practice?)

you don't have to waste your time retype it, heck you can delete those songs and never listen to them again.

however you could do it because well, then you can utilize it for your sake.

you can complain here all day long, but if you just sit on your butt, work will never get done. just like if your OS is corrupted, and you will be asking "i know i can reinstall the system and it will work, but why should i waste my time installing it?"

in which case, if you dont want to put in an effort in fixing the problem, you can just sit there and read japanese animate, watch korean drama, and complain to your female friends about the lack of decent male chinese guys in your university. and not use your mac ever again.

edit: and call me mean, but the "sweating" expression, is not cute.

15. caixiaoeva thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry if i offended you. i just thought iTune would be perfect without this weakness. your words are so harsh.
    sweating is like one kind of emotions. it's a misunderstanding. i used it almost in everyday msn's conversation.

16. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

why don't you try to speak chinese to itunes, see if it understands. i'm just trying to tell you why itunes doesn't understand the tags (because it doesn't know what lanugage they are in), i think if you set your OS X's default language to chinese, it might work

reality is harsh, accept it. work dont get done by themselves.
    oh believe me when i say i see people use that expression all day long, and guess what, it is not cute.

let me guess, you are a chinese girl between the age of of 16 to 21, came to US from china less than 5 yrs ago, and hang out with mainly chinese friends?

17. caixiaoeva thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in Canada, your guess about year is right. but i'm 23 yrs old.
    you can't understand my feelings. i think language support is key issue for Chinese mac users (the community is not big right now)
    i can show you, you know, we can't view msn' space using safari.( its less combatibility) don't get me wrong again. i like safari.
    then we could switch to firefox, guess what? it looks like this. words become thin and thick. firefox is killing me but i have to keep it.
    i'm thinking apple acts like sweeping away Chinese mac users. (this is definitely an issue, believe me.)
    btw, no difference between Chinese intel, PPC and English intel, PPC on this feature.

Attached Files:

18. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

girls and their feelings. you are feeling frustrated, but saying you are sweating is neither necessary nor cute, which i believe is why chinese girls say "sweating" or do the o_o''' (do you do the index finger+middle finger+ring finger going down cheek thing? you've watched way too much japanese animate)
    this very issue is not a problem of language support. OS X support chinese characters just fine. it does better most of the cases than Windows. didn't you say it wouldn't display properly on windows either? guess what, windows media player probably wont display it correctly either!

i'm not defensing os x, just so you know, i'm just stating facts. it's because it's written in a chinese os environment where person who typed the title and etc in didn't consider ppl with non-chinese computer would read it, hence didn't use unicode. (hence OSs dont know what language the words are in)

this is not the case of language support, not that there aren't those problems. for instance, the chinese input method in os x could be improved.
    but it won't matter if you are too lazy to type anyway.
    wouldn't that be poor coding on the webmaster of MSN's part? please do notice MSN stands for Microsoft Network (at least in the beginning), which means all their webpages are developed with internet explorer user in mind, they probaly did little if at all testing with safari... (and firefox for mac, i think, is quite similar to safari in the way they translate webpage, no?)

oh, believe me, apple is not taking a big bite on chinese market definitely not because the chinese music doesn't show up right in itunes. it's mostly because there are not nearly enough retailers in china, not enough technical support. but i dont blame apple for not paying too much attention, most average consumers would see the price tag before doing a bit more research, and chinese average people do NOT care about the specs, just the cheapest (and you'll have to agree with me on this, if you are chinese) ... if you step in the computing selling plazas (for the lack of better words), you would hardly see any proper store front (there are some, very little thou). most ppl would know some friends who know marginally how to put together a computer, for a quarter of what apple charges (granted, may not be as powerful, but they dont care, as long as it runs windows, and word, that's mostly all they need), and they will not spend one more penny on it then absolutely necessary. that's average chinese people. they don't always think about future proof, heck, they'd use a computer for 6 or 7 yrs without upgrading. (i'm not just talking air either, i KNOW these people, personally).

granted, there are some ppl who do care about their computer, but since most don't, i dont blame apple not spending too much money.

but again, in term of language support, apple is doing a fantasitc job in supporting chinese.

compatibility with microsoft stuff is more microsoft's responsiblity, they should've done better coding in designing msn space. (yes it bothers me too, but then i just launch parallels)

19. caixiaoeva thread starter macrumors newbie

parallel is too expensive, all my third-party softwares are free. i'm just a student, i can't afford this. time to turn in.
    see u

20. j3tang macrumors regular

I've been down this road as well.
    I've got a huge collection of chinese music coming over from a PC. But only small portions of my collection show the funny characters you have. Over the past ... umm.. many years, i've been using a software on PC called Tag&Rename. There is an option in it that lets you "write Unicode data into ID3v2 tags" .. this is the thing you want to have checked if/when you decide you want to spend time fixing the tags for iTunes to recognize.

Unfortunately, there 80% of the time when i get my hands on music, they are not tagged properly with the proper unicode characters. Heck, half the time they're not even readable on the PC. The only solution to this problem is to fix them yourselves because other people can't do it properly.

edit: I'm 25 yr old, chinese, in Canada as well (Toronto/Waterloo)
    edit2: link to a pic of my iTunes:: http://homepage.mac.com/j3tang/Temp/iTunes.jpg

21. erikpmort macrumors regular

erikpmort

22. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

So are there any websites that can convert these characters?

23. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i dont think the OP is interested at all in a method of converting these characters, she merely wants to rant and complain the incompetence of itunes' ability to display properly the characters that were improperly fed to it.