Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
I bought the 2012 13" with 4gb from amazon and called to ask about the 8gb to exchange. They dont have it. Neither does best buy. Wonder why? Anyone know or have any ideas?.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
The big demand is for the 8gb units...why give other retailers a cut when they don't have to?

Good business decision on apples part, IMO.....

jmyang

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2012
Anchorage, AK
The memory is soldered into the macbook airs and since apple probably has a lot of orders to fulfill, other vendors probably don't get priority.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
The big demand is for the 8gb units...why give other retailers a cut when they don't have to?

Good business decision on apples part, IMO.....

So.... You actually believe there is an Apple store everywhere in the world??? I see a few huge gaping holes in your business strategy there .... Just saying.

----------

The 8GB is a BTO option. The rationale is that your average user will not need/want the upgrade. Apple moves far more standard spec machines then BTO ones, much greater profit there. They stock the "ultimate" versions of thier machines for power apple users in store, most do not need it, but want the fastest and greatest apple has to offer .

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
So.... You actually believe there is an Apple store everywhere in the world??? I see a few huge gaping holes in your business strategy there .... Just saying.

----------

The 8GB is a BTO option. The rationale is that your average user will not need/want the upgrade. Apple moves far more standard spec machines then BTO ones, much greater profit there. They stock the "ultimate" versions of thier machines for power apple users in store, most do not need it, but want the fastest and greatest apple has to offer .

Enuf stores for this strategy to work...just sayin.....

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Enuf stores for this strategy to work...just sayin.....

If the USA is THE WORLD for you, sure champ.....

Apple makes for more on the base model, then these ultimate machines by sheer volume of sales.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

----------

This....most of the people on macrumors order BTO, but most customers get what is in store.

jerryobr

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2010
B&H Apple Care Discount

@ hfg:

Thanks for posting the link to B&H. The discount of $150. off Apple Care is quite considerable.

Jerry

topmike

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
This....most of the people on macrumors order BTO, but most customers get what is in store.

You are right - I purchased a standard MB Air 2012 from the Apple Store and it contained 8GB - The Apple Store has 4 different MB Air models in stock, to include the 2Ghz Intel Core i7, with 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 and a 512 GB SSD with 6 GB bus.

I did not have to custom order or BTO.

wenyong88

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
You can order customize mba in MacMall, stack with 3% discount from appleinsider. MacMall said they don't have those instock and will ship it later, but mine was shipped two days after I placed my order.

I got an Air with 1.8GHz 8GB ram and 256GB SSD.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
You can order customize mba in MacMall, stack with 3% discount from appleinsider. MacMall said they don't have those instock and will ship it later, but mine was shipped two days after I placed my order.

I got an Air with 1.8GHz 8GB ram and 256GB SSD.

that is the route a lot of people have been taking to get the retina who have a 3-4 week wait time. Macmall is getting it to them in a week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.