No one ever talks about new iBooks? They really that bad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iBunny, Apr 21, 2004.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2004
    I dont own a mac yet... however i want to. And I was looking into an iBook. Now i read pretty much all the iBook vs Powerbook threads but they all seem to be focused on the powerbook is better than the iBook. Well i know this..

But how is the iBook... i know its slower than the PB, but is it still a great computer? or is it not even worth me wasting my money on?

2. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Oct 25, 2003
    Leeds, England
    The G4 iBook is a fine machine. Most people come on forums to complain or find the answers to problems. I don't think there are any significant problems with the new iBooks they use tried and tested technology and many 1000's of people buy them, not just people that view websites like this. If you like the machine and it will do what you want then go for it and get one. You certainly won't beat it for value, I prefer the 12 inch model personally, if it came down to needing a superdrive I would take the 12 inch powerbook over the 14 inch iBook purely for size reasons as well as the improved performance. You on the other hand may prefer the larger screen but you need to decide that.
    I think the iBooks are no they really aren't that bad :)
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    The newest 12 inch iBook is quite good. I've always liked the size since they dropped the clamshell (iPurse) look.

I think my last complaint about them was that you couldn't load it with more than 640 MB RAM. That was not enough for my comfort/usage. Now, with the ability to use more RAM and a decent graphics chipset, I see little reason to go with the 12 inch PowerBook.
  4. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

Mar 23, 2004
    Great Machines!

iBooks are great machines. Bullet-proof, better wi-fi reception, longer battery life, well priced. I had a clamshell for nearly 6 years and my husband has had his old white iBook for at least three now. Very resiliant, stable, reliable machines.

You have to understand that in the "iBook vs. Powerbook" debates, the powerbooks get pushed primarily because they are more powerful--and conventional wisdom is that, if you have the money, then you should get a laptop MORE powerful than what you need rather than less. And frankly, in most of these discussions, its difficult to tell whether the iBook would be more or less powerful than what the person needs. So, erring on the side of caution, most of us recommend the powerbooks.

However, the differences between the new iBook and the new 12" powerbook are no longer that huge, and if that's what you're trying to decide between, by all means, go for the iBook. The biggest noticable difference would be aesthetics--the look and shape of the two--and the keyboard (powerbook keyboard is better). Between the 15" and an iBook, the differences will be more pronouced, especially with the superdrive 15".

iBooks are very much worth the money. They're priced just right and they will more than pay for themselves within the first six months of use--certainly within their 3-5 year lifetime.
  5. entropy1980 macrumors regular

May 14, 2003
    Canyon Country, CA
    3 big reasons:

33% faster processor
  6. sen_almighty macrumors member

Jun 18, 2003

don't forget 64mb vid card
  7. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    i have one of the 800mhz g3 ibooks, and i have never regretted spending the money i did for it. it's my baby, and has never let me down. i'm sure the new ones are even better, so have no fear if you decide to get one!
  8. jwp1964 macrumors regular

Mar 16, 2004
    Enterprise, KS
    I switched to Mac in February. I bought the 14" iBook, AE, BT, and added max ram. I love this computer. I never enjoyed using a PC, but really actually enjoy my iBook. I am not a poweruser, but surfing wirelessly, burning music, organizing photos, etc is very easy with the iLife that came loaded on the machine. The iBook is a great machine for the average user!!!
  9. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2004
    the only think i am conserned about is the video between the 2...

other than that, I use my PC for all things still, my iBook would just be for portable use... and use some of the time....

I am a Poweruser.. but with my PC, I dont know the first thing about mac.. so...

But I wont be Powerusing with my mac... its for chat, internet, office, dvds, simcity 2000 :) wifi everything.... a machine to use in my bed, or at school.. nothing more
  10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    If price is even a small consideration, those aren't a factor at all. 33 percent? You'll barely notice it. The GeForce FX Go 5200? The only reason they're using it is because is less hot than the Radeon line.

If someone is trying to do video production, they should already have the money for a PowerBook. If not, I'd bet they'd be pleased with an iBook.
  11. brhmac macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2003
    Planet Earth
    iBook is the Mac I've ever owned

The iBook is a very good computer. I've had my 12-inch G4 iBook for 2 months, and I've been very happy with it.

Word processing. Web surfing and design. Photo editing. All good.

I don't "game," so I can't tell you how well it would perform.

And it's a great buy.

If the SuperDrive is important to you, buy the 14-inch iBook and add the SuperDrive as an option.
  12. entropy1980 macrumors regular

May 14, 2003
    Canyon Country, CA
    Since when does something 33% faster not noticeable? Bottom line is that it is faster. Period.

Still has double the VRAM any way you cut it.

Who said anything about video production? You stated there was little reason for a 12" Pbook, and well I gave a few big reasons.
  13. mstecker macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2002
    I love my 12" iBook G4

I've had dozens of macs over time, and I love - I mean really love - my 12" ibook G4.

I sold a 17" RevA PowerBook when I left my last job, and downgraded to the iBook to bide my time until the release of a G5 PowerBook.

In many ways, I like the 'lil iBook better. It is almost as fast. It is much more portable. It has a finish (white plastic) that makes me not worry so much about smudges and scrapes. More imprtantly, the price is such that I don't worry so much about it.

I use it every day at work - connected to an external monitor (with the spanning "hack"), and with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

Overall, I've kicked the c$&p out of this machine for the past 6 months, and it just works.

The only downside - a few of the most modern games are a little pokey on it, but there are plenty of games that play very well (Warcraft series, Black & White, etc.).

It's a fantastic machine for the money. I think it's a better value than the 12" PowerBook.
  14. haiggy macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    The iBooks can get a superdrive option...
    The iBook G4 is an amazing machine and I think the upgrades for it are pretty nice. They can't be so amazing that they steal PowerBook sales. That's why you pay more for a PowerBook, it has better goodies... but really... if you don't want to spend the cash, the iBook is the perfect mobile solution.
  15. phonemonkey macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2004
    i got the 933 mhz 14" ibook with the memory maxed out and it rocks. with the speed updates i can only assume the new ones are better, i would go with the ibook, for the price it cant be beat, you can get them with the superdrive, and they run the g4 just like the pb. i'd get a ibook and upgrade when the newer pb's come out next update or keep the ibook. i can tell mine will be fine for a while.
  16. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    3 very good reasons in my opinion. If the $$$ are of concern, then the iBook is going to be a better Bang for the buck.

PB is one sweet computer though. And it is smaller, Although not by alot.
  17. jcook793 macrumors regular

Aug 18, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    iBook Rocks

I switched to the Mac in September (dualie 2GHz G5) and loved it almost instantly. Then my wife completely surprised me in December with a 12" G4 iBook as my birthday present.

I hate to admit this, but the iBook gets far more use than the G5. Don't get me wrong, the G5 is stupid fast, but this little iBooks is so portable and the battery lasts forever and the wifi reception is terrific. Also it's easier to lugh to work than my G5. :)

You said that the iBook will mainly be for surfing and "couch computing", I say go for it. I wouldn't spend the extra dough on a Powerbook for a secondary computer. I would recommend, though, that you buy as much RAM as you can afford from
  18. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

Mar 23, 2004
    Get the iBook, iBunny! You'll Love it!

Heh. You say that NOW. But just wait....

I predict that one month after buying an iBook you will barely be using your PC. Within two months you'll wonder why you've still got a PC in the house.

Go ahead, iBunny. Take the plunge. Buy the iBook!

And with the money you save getting an iBook, buy the following:
    1) Extra RAM (don't buy from Apple, it's overpriced)--you'll need at least 512.
    2) A nice, padded computer bag for your lovely, pearly white laptop--so it can go where ever you go.
    3) An Airport hub--if you don't already have a wireless set up. You're going to want to be able to go online whether you're sitting at the breakfast table, resting in bed or out in the backyard.
    4) This book:

I think I recommended this before, but I'll do so again. Pogue's Missing Manual is a great way to get to know how Macs work--there's even a switcher section to make the transition all that much easier.

Go forth and get that iBook, iBunny. You'll love it--and you won't ever look back. :)
  19. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2003
    Phoenix AZ USA
    Both are MacBooks, how can you go wrong with either?

As of this release (April 2004), the 14" iBook is almost as much computer as its big brother the 15" PowerBook.
    GHz CPU speed
    SuperDrive in either
    Nice size screens, good portability.
    RAM size is much improved in the iBook

PowerBook exclusives:
    higher resolution of the 15" LCD

solid feeling backlit keyboard
    PCMCIA port

dual monitor (well, almost exclusive save a workaround)
    metal case
    , that dents easier than plastic
    higher price

If you can afford a Cadillac, buy it. Otherwise,
    there's nothing wrong with a Chevy taking you from point A to point B.
  20. rinseout macrumors regular

Jan 20, 2004
    Crazy talk. This neglects the higher resolution of the 15". The screen should be one of the 15-inch "exclusives."
  21. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2003
    Phoenix AZ USA
    (;) edit he he he! :p)
  22. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I think there are quite a few other 'PowerBook exclusives' that should be in that list (and the actual differences in screen resolution should be stressed in your ealier list: 1024x768 (iBook) versus 1280x854 (15" PB)...that's an increase of about 38% in available pixel real estate):

- 64MB or 128MB Radeon 9700 Mobility graphics chip (MUCH faster than iBook's 32MB Radeon 9200)
    - FireWire 400 and 800 port (only FireWire 400 on iBook)
    - Gigabit ethernet port (only 10/100 on iBook)
    - 2 SO-DIMM slots, and maximum of 2GB RAM (only 1 slot, max 1.25GB on iBook)
    - DVI-out port (VGA only on iBook)
    - S-Video out port (requires optional adapter on iBook)
    - Line-in jack (no audio in on iBook without 3rd party USB audio adapter)
    - Built-in Bluetooth (optional on iBook)
    - Built-in AirPort Extreme (optional in iBook)

So when you add up all those differences, and combine them with either a 133MHz or 300MHz increase in CPU speed (depending on which model 15" PB you look at), then I think the 15" PowerBook is really in a different league to the 14" iBook.

That's not to say that the iBooks aren't really nice portables...far from it. I just think there is actually a large feature and performance gap between the 14" iBook and the 15" PowerBook.
  23. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    Canada's South Coast
    Why I Love My iBook G4

I bought my first Mac, a 14" 1GHz iBook G4, six months ago. I absolutely love it! Every time I turn it on I smile. My Windows-based friends, in their grey suits peering out of their hushed corporate cubicles, still cannot believe what I can do with my iBook and how much fun a laptop computer can be.

The iLife software is amazing right out of the box, iMovie especially. Not too many years ago I worked in commercial television and my iBook lets me do more video production in my La-Z-Boy recliner than I could do at the TV station in 1995. Everything about it, from the design of the computer itself to the design of all the software, has a quality look and feel that Windows has never matched. Even the freeware looks better than lots of expensive commercial Windows software.

You will be thrilled with any of the new iBooks, I guarantee it. My only buying advice is to max-out your memory and get internal Bluetooth. And buy AirPort Extreme, so you can work outside where you belong!
  24. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

Mar 23, 2004
    Got AirPort!

Not no more it isn't! New iBooks now come AirPort Extreme ready. :)
  25. rinseout macrumors regular

Jan 20, 2004
    "ready" = there is an upgrade path available for Airport Extreme capability.

only the 1.2 Ghz 14" iBook has Airport Extreme built in, whereas all Powerbooks have it built in.