No One Lives Forever.

Discussion in 'Games' started by neoelectronaut, Jan 1, 2004.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Hmm. That's weird. I purchased this game, thinking, "Well, it's a few years old, it should run pretty well on my eMac." Turns out I was wrong. Is this game just buggy or is my computer just a piece of **** as usual? :p

2. big macrumors 65816

big

with a 160GB HD, that's difficult for a computer to handle as a normal drive, especially if its not 7200 rpms.... and only 5600....

so if your hd is older and used, you basically have a bunch of stuff installed everywhere, and your machine is jumping around to find the info.

I completely reformat once a year.... or with a really big update.

3. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

117GB available, and I'm pretty sure it's 7200rpms since it's one of the newer eMacs. Besides, I've only had the computer for like 3 months.

Should I really have gone for a smaller HD?

4. big macrumors 65816

big

well, I do not know what you have been installing and uninstalling..... but all that could have a performance issue, anyone else there have any suggestions...

try doing the disk permissions then reboot then disk permissions again and reboot...

5. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

It's unplayable on my emac, as well, and I'm running a 40GB drive. I think it's just a poorly coded game, or one that takes up a lot more hardware than it should.

6. johnnowak macrumors 6502

I'm sure you get this a lot but... how'd you manage 728 ram?

7. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Actually, that's a misprint, it should say 768MB of ram. My mac with 512MB pre-installed, and I added a 256MB strip. Thanks for the heads up.

8. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I have a 1Ghz Flat panel iMac that I was trying to install Sims house party on for my wife. She has an 80GB drive. It wouldn't install saying that there was insufficient Hard drive space. I had to take the CD and copy it over and over again on the hard drive until there was less than 10GB free. Then it would install fine and I could delete the copies I made.

9. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You guys, this has nothing to do with the hard drive. The problem is that the Radeon 7500 in the eMac isnt exactly the top of the line, and the game is poorly coded. You might want to turn as many of the graphical options as you can down to Lowest and then increase certain ones until it looks nice and is playable.

The problem with Sim's House Party is that the installer is bugged out (OS 9 installer, if I remember correctly) that has nothing to do with the hardware.

10. big macrumors 65816

big

would changing the screen rez help too?

I had a Radeon 9800 and it rocked, completely speeds up any machine. You may be able to upgrade it in the eMac... though I have never taken one of those apart...

I will stand by the fact that a huge HD can slow you down though, as your processor is waiting to locate the info it needs.

11. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Reducing the screen resolution can help. I don't know anything about the copy protection for that game, but if possible try to make a disc image of it on your HD and run from that. HD access is generally much faster than CD access. Since your computer is only a few months old I think that problems related to the large HD may not be very significant at this point. Make sure that you quit all other programs that may be running in the dock before you play. Lower all of your graphic detail settings and screen resolution and uncheck any options for advanced lighting and shadows, etc.

12. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Try partitioning the drive into smaller segments. I'd break it up as a 10 GB system and utility partition, a 20GB data disk, and a 50GB application disk. I've heard of other people having issues with large drives, before, but you want to keep at least 3GB of space free on your system disk, so that it has enough room for the VM pagefiles and swapfiles.

That's basically what I was saying, though I was a bit too tired to explain it in any more detail. The eMac isn't primarily a gaming machine, and NoLF is a pretty poorly ported game that hogs all kinds of resources. I think it's got a lot more to do with the kind of machine it's being run on than anything else.

No, you can't. All of Apple's all-in-one units (eMac, iMac, laptops) are on-board video, and there are no expansion slots. As such, there is no way, short of a soldering iron and some really drastic warranty-voiding, to change what you have under the hood.

13. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I kinda wish that I could have gotten something a little better than my lowly eMac here, but everything else was out of my budget. But hey, I guess it's better to have a Mac with a old video card than no Mac at all, right? ;-)

I'll play it as much as I can, then stick it on the shelf to go back to in a few years when I get a new computer.

14. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

On the upside though, when I ordered NOLF I also ordered Red Faction. Now with that can I can crank it to 1024x768 with all detail on and still get a great playability out of it.

15. big macrumors 65816

big

yeah, i'd partition a large drive like that, unlesss it was purely external storage or backup

16. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

It kind of pisses me off though, because the box says it requires a 400mhz processor and only 8MB of video ram, (16 reccomended) you assume that since you have over 2 times the processing power and 4 or 2 times the amount of video ram it would run well....so much for that theory.

17. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I was reading IGN's Mac review of NOLF, and they said they got good results out of a G4 733 and a Radeon 8500. Now, my thinking is... "Shouldn't I get about the same?"

18. big macrumors 65816

big

with games & OSX, the video card makes all the difference, I think the processors are totally different between the 7xxx series & 8xxx & 9xxx series, kind of like a G3 vs the G4....

19. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

But then in that case shouldn't the extra 300mhz from my G4 make up for that?

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

the truth is we are getting poorly coded crap. first they code it for directx then as allways opengl is a afterthought. If apple is to get the young crowd into the mac world they have to be able to play games as well as pc's or better. right now they dont. you can blame it on crap code which is what we get see Halo, or you can blame it on crap cpu in other words G4. still amazed they stayed with this dog as long as they have. how many times has apple been screwed by this company motorola??? go get a copy of Giants or Return to Castle Wolfenstein. thatwendigo makes a valid point but i dont know how much you will gain since you have 768 of ram. maybe try lowering the resolution. The fact is these games are made for Wintel, Apple is doing a piss pot poor job of figuring this out. sometimes id like to smack all those Apple corporate excutives that think all anyone wants to do is some rotation or blurrs.
    Ignore Bigs comments what you have with Emac is what you have. no way to upgrade Video.

21. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Yeah. I know I can't blame Apple for this at all. The eMac is a kickass machine, and that's that. :)

Still, Macplay should be a bit better at labeling their system requirements...

22. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Well if it wont play well on Single player, don't even bother going on-line to play.

I play ~10hours or more of NOLF a week on-line, so I know the game rather well. Also the eMac is just about the last machine you want to be playin games on (the R7500 is older than my Geforce2MX which I got 3 years ago,) even if that game is a port of and older game.

NOLF has, what some to believe to be the WORST EVER on-line code. The Mac port is rather poor, and even the Windows version is still a little buggy in it's latest revision, with random quits (however this could alos be linked to my Graphics card over heating)

I manage to get around 25+FPS with all the details turned on and 2xAA, But in some of the poorer quality multiplayer maps that drops below 8FPS.

My advice is
    a) to scratch the CD and return the game (make a copy first as this is a risky undertaking)
    b) buy a PC for gaming or at least a PowerMac where you can upgrade the Graphics card
    c) Max out your RAM
    d) Lastly, cut your losses, send me a copy of the mac port (I'll give it a safe home) and try your luck on another game.

Attached Files:

23. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well, I'll play it as much as possible, then shove it on the shelf. When/if a get a powermac in a few years (or when I get a new computer period) I'll yank it down and play it the way it was MEANT to be played.

24. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Yeah, it's a great game, shame you can't play it well.

It's worth hanging on to.

25. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Do you know a code or anything that will display the FPS? I'm just curious.