No one would have believed, in the early years of the 21st century...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thomas Veil, Dec 11, 2004.

1. raiderz182 macrumors regular

i must say, that was the worst trailer i've ever seen haha;
    lucky for them the steven spielberg and tom cruise names are more than enough advertisement.....

2. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

The story was actually written in the early 20th century.

Needless to say, it's still a great story. I hope they do a good job with the movie.

JOD8FY

3. mpw Guest

No one would have believed........What about everybody who saw Independance Day?

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

i hope this is good. I mean they could make this really cool.
    But, alas, its prolly going to suck.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

They have a lot to live up to, the mass hysteria created in 1938 by Orson Wells and his radio broadcast of the story....

http://www.war-of-the-worlds.org/Radio/

It has a ton of potential, lets see if they make use of it.

D

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's got Dakota Fanning and Tim Robbins too. The basic plot is worthy, as we know from the book. The acting will be pretty good. Lot$ of ca$h will be lavi$hed on $pecial effect$. So it has potential.

But all those people standing in the street watching something land behind the mountains, and not a single person on a cell phone!? Yeah, sure.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think that might be just for the trailer - re-invoking the feelings/flavor of the original version....the houses were all similar and looked like a retro suburb anyway.

D

8. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

Haven't seen the trailer yet (waiting on download) but I have mixed feelings already. I'm actually excited to see what they did with this classic story, yet seeing Tom Cruise's name there does not excite me. Not a huge fan. The other night I finally saw "The Last Samurai" and I had two thoughts:
    1) Actually pretty good movie overall.
    2) Could they possibly have found a bigger 'wuss' to play the American? :D

9. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Actually, it looks more like a teaser to me instead of a trailer.

And I have the same reservations about Cruise. I don't like what he did to the Mission: Impossible concept, and his Spielberg collaboration, "Majority Report", was pretty mediocre.

But if Spielberg can tap the best qualities of the book, the George Pal movie, and his earlier UFO work ("Close Encounters"), we may really have something.

Hey, look at it this way...it can't possibly be as bad as that syndie TV series from the late 1980s.

10. brap macrumors 68000

...A.I. :rolleyes: :(

11. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

What's with the music??? That was my first thought.... until I realized it was actually iTunes playing a cheesy love song.... hehehe (I'd hit the mute button a while ago for the phone, without stopping the tunes, so when I hit it again part way through the trailer/teaser, I thought it was actually the soundtrack!)

12. haiggy macrumors 65816

Oh geez, I was just going to say that. It can't be worse than A.I.

13. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well here's a strange turn of events. Seems another company is also doing a version of "War of the Worlds", which will follow the book quite closely, including sticking to Wells' time period.

Two very different approaches. Small indie period piece...big Hollywood modern spectacle. Interesting.

If you check out the Pendragon trailer, though, it looks fairly dreadful. Probably being done on a very small budget.

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

If anyone can follow through on that potential then Steven Spielberg can. I imagine that it will be an action packed summer movie. There is nothing quite like a good science fiction movie.

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Um, I just have one thing to say to that: Artificial Intelligence: AI ;)

Nothing is a given....

D

16. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Hey, no fair. wdlove said there's nothing like a good science fiction movie.

I'm no Cruise fan (he's more bland than Costner, if that is possible), and a Spielberg flick is either great or very disappointing. If it is done right, this could be awesome. If not, at least it'll have to be better than The Core. :eek:

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Oh I love SciFi - I'm just saying that just because Spielberg is directing doesn't really mean anything. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie, though. I'm going to be really curious on how it compares to the 1953 version - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046534/

D

18. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Suppose I could have thrown a smilie after my comment. I just found it amusing that wdlove stated that he likes "good" sci-fi, and you used AI as an example.:) :rolleyes:
    I completely agree with the Spielberg comment, which applies to all of his flicks, not just sci-fi. He either nails it (Schindler's List, Close Encounters, E.T., Raiders) or he is merely mortal (AI, Minority Report, 1941, Hook).

19. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I only hope they don't screw up the ending.

Though it has a particularly Judeo-Christian flavor, and I'm all in favor of inclusiveness, it's just so beautiful that I'd hate to see them alter it:

"The Martians were defeated, and humanity saved, by the littlest creatures which God in His wisdom put upon the Earth."

(Well, at least it'd keep the fundies happy. ;) )