Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lethality

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2009
Couldn't really care less about Pandora specifically, but this raises a flag about the CarPlay implementation... I thought it was a way to use my iPhone better in the car?

To me, that would include any and all apps...

Hmm.

----------

Reading all of the music service wars comments... you guys are missing the entire point.

Atrin1

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2012
Dallas
I've used Pandora for a very long time, and I like it for the most part. Spotify is awesome because you can create playlists and listen to anything on demand. my gf has the premium spotify deal.

right now i use pandora mostly because my pioneer double din headunit has a pretty nice pandora app built in to it.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Couldn't this just be as simple as Pandora not having added Carplay functionality into their app yet, or Apple not giving them the option to do it ahead of the announcement?

It's not like every app out there was compatible with Airplay the day that was announced, only certain apps were. This could be the same thing, the app makers need to update their app to support it, and wait until Apple approves it, and then it will work too.

Now that being said I'm sure Apple will be a little more restrictive on what apps they allow to integrate Carplay into. For example I'm guessing they won't approve video playing or game apps to work with it, becuase they don't want people trying to watch videos or play games on their car's head unit.

That said I think it could be really cool if they allowed video playing apps to connect just to play the audio and give you control of pause/play etc. That way you could have an iphone/ipad the back with the kids and play the movie's audio through the stereo. It would be even cooler if you could sync the video playback through multiple devices. Say each kid has their own ipad/iphone but you could play the same movie on all of them at the same time synced up and playing the audio over the car stereo.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Whatever happened to buying a song and owning it forever. I dont like ghe spotify and pandora models. I just rather buy a song for .99 and own it.

Well in as much as you 'own' the song, you still can. But many folks don't want to do that and without things like pandora would torrent etc.

That said, who is to say that the issue is just Apple. Perhaps apps have to be rebuilt to be in CarPlay and there are rules about ads, etc and Pandora didn't like the conditions and choose not to join

huggyb

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
I keep seeing people say that Spotify doesn't offer a radio model, but it does. and in my opinion is better than Pandora. I also believe Spotify now allows users to use the Radio function on mobile without having to pay (before they didn't offer mobile unless paid $10 a month for full premium service).

I have a friend who worked on a Pandora station for 2 years to "get it the way he likes it". I took a couple of his suggestions and within about 2 days, I'd already had a Spotify station that was matching his Pandora station. *shrug*

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
No Pandora support? Suddenly I don't care about this new Apple feature at all whatsoever. Not that I was in the market for a Ferrari or Merc anytime soon.

hemanwomanhater

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
I can't tell if Pandora or Apple is responsible. The article definitely suggests it's Apple, but either way, I don't really care about Pandora. I stopped using it, like, five years ago as there are much better alternatives if you're willing to pay (which you should be, at $10/month).

I'm using Beats Music now and quite enjoying it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.