No Panther DVD player

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by closny, Nov 8, 2003.

1. closny macrumors newbie

Jul 22, 2002
    I recently installed Panther on my G4. A few days later i bought and installed a DVD-RW drive. I cannot find the Apple DVD installed on my system. How can i install it?
  2. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, Ca
    re-install Panther. DVD Player won't install if there's no DVD drive installed, because what would be the point? You need a DVD drive to run DVD Player.
  3. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    There is an app somewhere (version tracker anyone?) that allows you to extract the .pkg files on the OSX cds. Of course, Archiving and installing would just be as good (selecting copy users over). All you'd need to reinstall are maybe drivers.
  4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    DVD Player installed on my iBook and old G3s, none of which have DVD players. You can still open video_ts folders and play movies if you have them on your hard drive.
  5. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2003
    Central NY
    VLC can play DVDs. It's a free app. I'm on version 0.6.2
  6. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    I hope you're not afraid of the Terminal because its the easiest way to extract it.

Go to your /System/Installation/Packages on your Panther CD, you should find a PKG file called Essentials.pkg that's about 203MB. Navigate into the contents and you should find an Archive.pax.gz file. Double click on it (but make sure you have enough room, it'll be over 400MB extracted!) and when it Stuffit completed extracting it, open Terminal and navigate to the directory where the Archive.pax file is.

Input this exact code:

pax -r -f Archive.pax
    Wait until it completes (Terminal will have changes its close button to an X instead of a dot) then go into the newly created Applications folder, drag the DVD player into your actual Applications folder and viola!
    You an just delete the rest of the stuff that was created, its not needed.

Hope this helps.

7. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    You could use Pacifist, but vniow's way is good practice :) Don't be scared of the terminal!

:D MY 1000th POST!!! :D
  8. will macrumors regular

Aug 29, 2002
    Hmmm, I have a slightly different, but similar issue. I have a 12" PB with Superdrive. The DVD player was installed, but no iDVD. I did an erase install. I assume this is normal, if so, does anyone know how I can install it from my restore DVD?
  9. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

May 7, 2002
    2 Much Infinite Loops
    i think i had a similar problem. i installed panther on my dual g5 machine.

all iLife apps are installed except iDvd.

i could have sworn i installed all necessary apps while custom installing (deactivated printer drivers etc.)

but i could not remember seeing iDvd. twas good that i had iLife.

can anyone say if it was an installation option?