No panther with with new PowerBooks?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Fahd, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Fahd macrumors regular

I've been checking out the apple online store recently. I was going to buy a power book, then saw the countdown for panther in 3 days and decided I'd wait for that to be released before I buy it, so I could get the latest OS. So I waited 3 days and now when I look at the powerbooks, they still say OSX Jaguar, however, the ibooks say OSX Panther. Does this seem odd to anyone?

2. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

I purchased my powerbook in the store the night it was released, and it didn't come installed, but the disks were in the box. I'm guessing that such will be the case for any powerbook purchased online.

Alia

3. Fahd thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, thats great to hear! :) Did you by any chance also get the disks for Jaguar? Or was Jaguar pre-installed and they gave you the CD for Panther?

4. OziMac macrumors 6502

That bites.

I bought my Powerbook last Sunday because the dudes at the Roosevelt Field Apple Store told me that Panther would not be included in the box for at least 2 weeks. So I had to pay $21 for a copy that still hasn't arrived. Damn them! :(

On the other hand, they gave me a particularly generous education discount, which probably makes up the difference. ;)

5. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

Jaguar was preinstalled and there was a system recovery DVD for the Powerbook with all the applications and iDVD and all that, as well as the three CDs for Panther and one for xcode.

6. all-in-my-head macrumors member

Just ordered a Dual G5, they told me it was "95% sure it would be Panther installed, BUT it was not in black and white yet" Which i guess explains why its not on the site. Fingers crossed, should at least get the upgrade CD's I spose. PS this is UK apple store, but assume US is the same.

7. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Panther is pre-installed on all iBooks because they were introduced recently enough to do so. Any PowerBooks that they've had in stock and already boxed up do not have it pre-installed, but they are hard at work putting the install CDs in the boxes, and if you order it online, it's certain you'll have Panther CDs. Eventually it'll be pre-installed, as all newly manufactured units will have it loaded.

If you have an Apple store near by call them up. A lot of them have already put the install disks in the boxes. But if there's a unit that doesn't have it, the computer still qualifies for the 19.95 Up-To-Date program.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife purchased Panther the night of it's release at the Chestnut Hill Mall. Decided to take advantage of the 10% discount and purchased a 15" PowerBook. The software that came in the box was for the 15" & 17" PowerBook. It was Mac OS X v10.2.7. She is installing Panther as I post this, on disk #2.

9. gundam macrumors member

I ordered a PB a while back from a non-Apple retailer that is due to be delivered this week. Is there any chance I will get Panther pre-loaded or installtion cd included, or will I have to go through the Up to Date procedure?

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

limelight hit it right on the spot. its hard to tell what yours will be. it will bea while before its preinstallaed. but more than likely the cd's will be thrown in the box. if not pay your 20 and let em ship it to you. not much you can do.

iJon

11. Fahd thread starter macrumors regular

Just thought I'd update this thread to say that I got my PB today and it came preinstalled with Panther.

12. Alex Bischoff macrumors newbie

So, did you order your PowerBook directly from Apple or from another retailer?

13. Fahd thread starter macrumors regular

14. EZRyde macrumors newbie

That's great news it came pre-installed with Panther! I hope you enjoy your new PB. Is yours a 15"? If so, how is the screen? Do you think Apple fixed the LCD problem?

15. g808 macrumors regular

I bought my 17" PB from the Apple Online Store on 10/21 and I got it this Monday. No Panther pre-installed and no disk in the box. I ordered the upgrade for $20 online.

Doesn't matter to me too much since I got a nice employee discount.

16. Fahd thread starter macrumors regular

Mine is the 12". No problems with the screen. I just love the battery life!

17. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

How much are you getting? I'm about two weeks away from my 12" PB purchase and I'm chomping at the bit for any available information. I'm astounded that no publications have reviewed the RevB machines, seeing as how they received some significant changes with the DVI and the cache and all.

18. jamesatzones macrumors regular

All new machines built since the 24th will have Panther. The problem is there are still several systems in both the channel and Apple's inventory that were boxed before the debut of Panther so they won't be in the box.

Jaguar had the same type of situation, but at that time Apple put Jaguar upgrade flat packs in the channel so resellers could directly distribute them. Apple has not issued flat packs for Panther to the channel which makes for a hard sell. I am just taking $25 bucks out of the purchase price for my clients and having them do the up to date program with Apple. So, anyone wants a machine and doesn't want to pay the Panther upgrade price e-mail me...

19. mobility3 macrumors member

report coming

I'm expecting a new 12" pb to arrive in the next few days, ordered by phone from the apple store on 10/25. I upgraded to a 60gig drive so I'm wondering if this will help getting Panther pre-installed. I'll post a report when it comes...

On a side note, the sales rep sold me with an instant $100 'promotional savings' discount. pretty nice. I assume this has something to do with the 6th anniversary discount deal??

20. switchingGeek macrumors member

I'm getting more than 4hrs. I haven't tested with Panther though, might have increased the life a bit more. I was browsing over Airport Extreme, doing some proof-correcting and light browsing. No music or video. Let me know if you want me to run any benchmarks etc...

And the additional RAM is ESSENTIAL!! Context switching, and application switching has become instantaneous. Panther also speeded up stuff, but as I used Jaguar only for a couple of weeks, I couldn't really tell...

I do miss a few 'power' features from Linux, but I'm trying to find similar apps - PandaCalender for example. And the calculator seems to be miserable for some reason....and I need more games ;-)

21. bmarston macrumors newbie

MacConnection sku #463657

I ordered a 15" 1.25 GHz PowerBook bundle (sku #463657) from MacConnection on Thursday, 10/30. When I ordered it, the availability was listed as "usually ships in 5-10 days." It's still listed as backordered.

I called MacConnection today, and they said that they expect to receive their next shipment on Friday, 11/14. I asked if the machine would ship with Panther installed, and was told "probably not." Rats. I was hoping two weeks would be enough time to clear out the Jaguar inventory.

22. bmarston macrumors newbie

The Saga Continues

After being told repeatedly by MacConnection that my order would ship on Friday, 11/14, I checked this morning and it's still listed as "backordered." I called, and they said that their shipment from Apple was pushed back to 11/26. I asked if that was a firm date and was told "no." I certainly hope it ships with Panther installed. By that time, they'll have had a month to clear out old inventory.

23. Alex Bischoff macrumors newbie

Re: The Saga Continues

I'm in the same situation -- I also ordered a 15" PowerBook from MacConnection (10/28). I called as recently as Thursday (11/13) and was told that it would ship on Friday or Monday (since MacConnection were to get a new shipment in on Friday).

Of course, I called again today, and the date was revised to 11/26 :(.

24. davebl macrumors member

When I bought my new 12" Powerbook at CompUSA about 3 weeks ago, it had Jaguar on it. I managed to get the manager to take off $21.00 so that the upgrade would seem "free".

Just ask your retailer and see what they will do.

25. bmarston macrumors newbie

AAAARRGH!

I called MacConnection today, and my ship date has been pushed back again, this time to December 5.

Waiting 36+ days to receive my PowerBook certainly doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy about switching. Ordering a computer from Dell never took this long.