No PDA, no iPhone :(

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by HasanDaddy, Jul 19, 2002.

1. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

I was hoping that Apple would someday make a cell phone/pda device...........and the iPhone rumors seemed to indicate that

The fact that CEO's from Cingular and SonyEricsson spoke at MacWorld would probably indicate that Apple does not plan on getting into this market?

Is this a good hint to take? If so.....I'm gonna go ahead and buy the Handspring Treo.

2. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

It just confirms what common sense already said, that there are already people out there doing mobile phones really, really well, and it makes much more sense, and will be more beneficial to all concerned, if Apple partners with people who do the phone market really well instead of taking resources away from what they're good at to compete with the established leaders in an entirely different product category.

That might be the longest single sentence I have ever written. Gah.

3. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

What about iSee?

I'm surprised that Apple didn't get into the Video Conferencing deal. Wouldn't it be nice in this day-and-age to be able to see the person you're talking to, as opposed to just hearing them?

That kind of technology would not only cut down telephone call charges (and therefore drive the telecommunications companies NUTS), but would also mark Apple as a leading player in the telecommunications field, and increase their client base.

Personally, I'm just sick and tired of having to call my family "Down Under" as I live in London, when the technology already exists to set this feature up.

It could be the next-generation iApp (and the latest addition to the digital hub) couldn't it?

;)

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Why the surprise that there was no PDA?! SJ has said long ago that Apple had no interest in going back down that road, and it has way enough to concentrate on than to make a second attempt at tapping the market.

If anything, they are probably going to ride the coattails of Cingular and any PDA/Phone they support...why the hell would they compete with a partnership?

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

But look how close Apple is to a new PDA with the iPod now - just add a trackpad and inkwell. No need for huge memory in the iPod just a nice little VM engine to make use of the HD.

7. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

And just look how powerful it would be with a 20 GIG hard drive built in!

A multi-functional unit with as much capacity than that, a nice LCD colour display - AND a cut-down version of OSX - would be an amazing feat. The masses would be swooning over it.

:)

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

u guys are completely hopeless...

and people wonder why I fight against the PDA issue so much... :rolleyes:

9. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Re: No PDA, no iPhone :(

NO, DON'T DO IT!!!!

Wait for the sony ericson p800, or one of the other phones coming soon. One has video conferencing, the p800 has a camera and pda functions.

The Treo got poor reviews, and the phones coming are really amazing.

10. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Combine them all into one

Serveral people at work have a Palm/Phone. Why doesn't someone just cram an iPod like device into it. Then you would have a phone/pda/mp3 player/portable hd. Add in the ability to get onto the wireless web and you've got a fileserver too.

You can connect to it with your Bluetooth adaptor, tell it to get online wirelessly, connect to the web, and collect some files from your iDisk. Now you can work from your iBook while riding in a car.

(throw a pager into it as well.)

11. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

I also think that you guys are heading down the wrong road.

Think about it...what kind of semi-portable device would work perfectly with all the new technologies?

A TABLET!!

I 100% believe that Apple will release one sometimes relatively soon. (not months, but maybe within the year)

-Pete

12. synergy macrumors regular

Powerful because it has a 20GB HD in it?
    I can pop on a 200GB HD on an old 486 and get it to run under linux. Does that make it 10 times more powerful than an iBook with 20GB HD?

13. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Kind of makes you wonder what these jokers are smoking, doesn't it eye. :rolleyes:

To add a touchscreen to the iPod would be moronic (as are those wanting it). The iPod is adding features to give people access to specific types of data that they input through their computer (not directly from the device). That is NOT a pda.

Get over the fact that Apple will not be going down the pda path again. Move on with your 'life'.

14. bunge macrumors member

I don't really care if Apple ever did it or not, but the solid state wheel is already a 'trackpad'. Just fill it straight across, without the button in the middle, and it's almost large enough to write on already. If they made a color iPod that was 25% wider & taller, you'd have a PDA/Video iPod.

I'm not advocating for it, I'm just saying that the current machine is about 92.7% of the way there already.

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Have you ever attempted to do something like that with an Apple laptop trackpad??? Cannot be done. :p You HAVE to use a finger (guess which one is aimed your way :eek: :eek: :D ) to get it to work.

No Apple pda's... At least, not while SJ is still in charge (hope he never leaves :eek: :D ). :p

16. wHo_tHe macrumors regular

Re: Combine them all into one

Someone has, unfortunately, it's Microsoft.

17. HasanDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

McRain,

I saw the P800 on the sonyericsson website..........it is definitely very cool

What carrier would the P800 work with though? Also, the Handspring has no BlueTooth, so how much of a disadvantage is that?

THANKS!

18. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

IF you really need a pda, check out this one. A larger image can be seen as well.

A pda that runs linux INSTEAD of some flavor of windblows.

19. Wry Cooter macrumors 6502

PDA this! (oh I think you will need a tablet for it to fit...)

...Back to phones (which is where the PDA market is going).. they will have to be made by present phone manufacturers to be carried by the current cellular carriers, and one of the big hold backs is that the digital network for web type stuff on these phones just isn't in place yet.

I want a Treo, but apparently Treo doesn't want Bluetooth. At least not now. I might have a Treo already if it had Bluetooth, not that it would be compatible with Jaguars goodies. And I would have to change carriers to use a Treo.

So right now that leaves the SonyEriccson T68i, which we know will work, up to models like the SonyEriccsonP800, which is more full featured, but seems to be running something called Windows...

Nokia has a pretty cool hi-end phone too.

But the entire 'convergence' on this level (cell phone) is going to be one big mess in general. The demand is very unusual, as is the supply. So people will just keep getting phones that are phones, yet smaller.

20. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I prefer to have dedicated devices since they do the job they are designed for much better then the multifunction devices. You need a cell phone, get one with whatever service you want. You want a pda, do some research and get the one that has all the features you really need. How would you feel if that multifunction pda/phone had the phone part fail and you had to be without the pda part while it was out for repairs??? Not too happy I'd wager. Same as if the pda part broke, would you want to be without your phone as well because of that??

For those that claim they need everything in one tiny device, get real. I HAVE a pager, cell phone, and a pda (was given to me, and it's sitting unused). On the way to work, I have only the phone on me. At work, I clip the pager onto my pocket. When I leave work, the pager goes away until I return to work.

21. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Look, Apple has stated they have no plans for a PDA. As for the iPhone issue it was probably just an early name for iSync.

22. Wry Cooter macrumors 6502

What I like about the Handspring Treo (which I might still get if they do a model with bluetooth) is that the PDA stuff can tie in rather well with a Cell Phone, and you wouldn't have to run back to your computer to have the information from a caller ID merge with your address book, etc...

But Apples solution around this, you just sync them all to iCal and iAddress on your Mac. Let the other people make their toys, Apple will make the ones that run OS X. There is going to be a lot of technogarbage created as the market sorts itself out on the phone PDA end. Palm has almost gone under at least once because of the competition from present AND future products.

23. shenger macrumors newbie

So right now that leaves the SonyEriccson T68i, which we know will work, up to models like the SonyEriccsonP800, which is more full featured, but seems to be running something called Windows...

Nokia has a pretty cool hi-end phone too.

It's actually not a Windows platform a la Pocket PC but I think it's called a Symbian platform, sort of a rival to the palm os. Correct me if I'm wrong. I am definitely really excited that Apple and Sony ericsson partnered up... I too am waiting to get the P800 and I think anyone who buys a smart phone before the p800 comes out will be kicking themselves in a few months.

24. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I'm not sure but there is probably a springboard module you could buy to add bluetooth (if not one is probably in the works)

25. lynfordd macrumors newbie

PDA From Apple YES!

We will see News about it From APPLE By end of August!
    It will Ship January 2003!
    OSX Light!

Great news in Seattle WA Today Gates is to hire 5,000 People to work as Teck suport for Windows... I new it was bad but it must be Very BAD!