No pepsi caps in SF!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by theipodgod16, Feb 2, 2004.

1. theipodgod16 macrumors 6502

i went to about four stores today, looking for the itunes pepsi bottles. NONE to be found. i've already read about a bunch of people winning, as early as last week. I dont want to waste any time searching recycling bins. anyone in SF know where a store that carries pepsi-itunes is?

2. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I live in Northern California, and I too have seen no Pepsi bottles anywhere. Any noticed any in their home area yet? From any where?

3. hobbes3113 macrumors regular

hobbes3113

4. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

yeah, none in the downtown/houston st area of ny. boo

5. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

Chicago Area still is selling off the Superbowl bottles. :)

6. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I haven't seen any at my school or at nearby (Alhambra) 7-11s.

7. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

None in Cincinnati, actually Northern Kentucky, that I can find..

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'm drinking Sierra Mist as fast as I can outta the soda machines where I work... I figure they eventually gotta restock with the good bottles! ;)

9. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    up here in NE Ohio we have them. i'm 1/2 so far and have another bottle sitting here for when i get thirsty!

10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

No need to wait.

"No Purchase Necessary. To receive one free game piece and a copy of Official Rules, while supplies last, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope postmarked on or before 3/31/04 to: Pepsi iTunes Game Piece, P.O. Box 9205, Young America, MN 55558-9205. Residents of the state of VT may omit return postage. Limit one free game piece per request per stamped outer envelope. Pepsi-Cola Company (“Sponsor”) assumes no liability for lost, late, stolen, illegible, misdirected, mutilated, incomplete or postage-due mail or requests."

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

Yeah, but they didn't say if what you get in the mail would also be a 1/3 chance...

"Request for free caps here...let's see. Winner, winner, winner, loser. (stuffs cap into return package)"
    :p

Up here, BTW, they are STILL selling the NFL caps Pepsi contest bottles. People are so f***ing slow where I live...especially since we hired someone to help us do a job, and the f***er didn't show up!! :mad:

12. Makosuke macrumors 603

Here's another annoyed Northern California reader wondering why Pepsi didn't manage to time the distribution of products in the channel better.

Surely they know how many days of channel inventory are between the bottling plant and the shelf. Would a more uniform distribution have been that difficult?

13. King Cobra macrumors 603

I don't think uniform distribution is the issue. I think the issue would be uniform availability. If 100 million (or a fraction of that) Pepsi bottles were already produced, then they should have all been prepped and stored savely at distributed locations, then, on Feb. 1, make them publically available.

[I just realized that, as sort of a coincidence, if 100 million Pepsi/(participants) bottles are sold in the U.S.A., that's 1 Pepsi for every 3 Americans. :p]

14. Makosuke macrumors 603

I seriously doubt you're going to get the soft drink market to work that way--you produce product that goes to the shelves in every supermarket, gas station, and vending machine in the country. I'm sure it takes x days from bottling plant--which is surely running constantly--to distributor, and another x days on average to get from distributor to store shelves. There's ALWAYS soda in the channel, but I assume Pepsi knows about how much and how fast it moves.

Pepsi also has local bottling plants all over--I used to have one a few miles from where I live--so they can probably fine tune things even more regionally. Taking all that into account, how did they manage to get some bottles on shelves a week early (faster than expected sell-through?), and still have plenty of high-volume stores in other areas with lots of non-promotion bottles on shelves several days into it?

I suppose there's only so much even a huge company can do, but if you're going to spend that much on a promotion, you'd think you'd rather get the bottles in the channel a bit early to get them on shelves when it starts, rather than having somebody watch your $2M ad then be disappointed when they get to the store and there's nothing exciting on the bottles at all.

Nope, that's a bit more than one Pepsi for EVERY American--only one of three is a winner, making 300 million promotional bottles in total. And that's only the large plastic size!

15. mms macrumors 6502a

Haven't seen any here in San Diego. I went around a couple stores looking for them today, to no avail. There's a bunch of Pepsi bottles with Lakers contests on them, though.