Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you bothered that there's no case included?

• Yes

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 35 70.0%

• Total voters

sterumbelow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Morning all,

Was anyone else surprised to find there was no plush case with the Series 2 Apple Watch? Not that I used the one I got with Series 1, but it was a nice box never the less. Apple are starting to skimp on what's in the box - the Lightning EarPods don't come with a case anymore either.

Does this bother anyone else?

Ste.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I got my Series 2 SS yesterday and it comes in a nice white plastic box with a felt lining, exactly how my Gen 1 came 18 months ago. Nothing is different in the packaging except the shorter charging lead

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That is interesting. As an Apple Watch Gen One owner, I appreciated the hard plastic case to protect the Watch. Maybe the Stainless comes with a plastic hard box and the aluminum includes something cheaper perhaps?

And I was disappointed to see the Apple lightening EarPods were in cardboard versus the plastic case. Apple definitely cut back on the expense account.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Morning all,

Was anyone else surprised to find there was no plush case with the Series 2 Apple Watch? Not that I used the one I got with Series 1, but it was a nice box never the less.....
So you bought both a S1 and S2 and the S1 came in a nicer case than the more expensive S2????? That doesn't make any sense.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
With the original AW, the SS came in a box and the Sport didn't.

OP, can you clarify exactly what you got? Did you get a Series 2 in aluminum or SS?
The Sport came in a long rectangular box.

Attachments

• IMG_0064.JPG
    IMG_0064.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 305

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Many keep incorrectly calling the 2015 Watch the Series 1. I can see why but most have bought the Series 2, you'd think they'd see the new Series 1 on the site..

Reactions: bhayes444

sterumbelow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, to clarify. The Sport (Aluminium) Series 1 came with the long white plastic case.

The Sport (Aluminium) Series 2, doesn't come with any case at all.

Reactions: cmichaelb

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Yeah, to clarify. The Sport (Aluminium) Series 1 came with the long white plastic case.

The Sport (Aluminium) Series 2, doesn't come with any case at all.
You've got the names confused though I know what you mean. :)

The Series 1 and Series 2 are new models introduced earlier this month and neither of the aluminium models comes with a plastic case or is referred to as a 'Sport'.

The original (1st generation) aluminium Apple Watch Sport did include a plastic case in the box.

Reactions: bhayes444

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
I like the hard plastic case that came with the 1st Gen Apple Watch. With the Series I, maybe Apple were trying to save money. And, what about the lack of the power brick, too...

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I like the hard plastic case that came with the 1st Gen Apple Watch. With the Series I, maybe Apple were trying to save money. And, what about the lack of the power brick, too...

That lack of a power brick thing is really odd. You need to spend 19 dollars if you want an Apple power brick to go with the Watch (say, if giving as a gift). Weird. Very weird.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Naming a 2nd generation product with the number 1 is confusing. Also to delete the brick is cheap esp since many/most Series 1 buyers would be new Apple Watch customers which Apple obviously wants.

Reactions: bunnicula

Leo90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Switzerland
Purchasers of new Apple products will not. And buying the adapter separately costs more AND results in more packaging material used, so...

Can't you charge it with your iPhone charger? Stop thinking about your own belly and realise Apple has ecofriendly targets to reach (I hope)

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I bought a series one and they don't even come with a charging brick lol. I'm debating on exchanging my series one SG sport 42mm for a 42mm stainless series 0 from Best Buy. I watched a speed and app opening test and the new dual core was only slightly faster. I just use mine for notifications and music really. And they are insanely discounted, by like over $300.

I'd just need a silicone band as I'm in the gym 5 days a week.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I think it's fine, I thought the packaging with the 1st gen was nice but ultimately wasteful. What I really can't wrap my head around is how Apple didn't ship a charging brick with Series 1 watches. That just wreaks of being cheap.

ETA: Just saw the person above me mention the same thing. LOL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.