No PM updates at MWSF?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kman12681, Dec 29, 2003.

1. kman12681 macrumors newbie

If there are no PM updates at the expo, can I still count on the DP powermac G4 price to drop? I can't wait much longer to buy this cpu.

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

You can't count on anything .... they might even stop selling the g4 pm's for all anyone knows ... its possible the prices will go down but i'm not sure how likely it is .

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I hate to tell ya, but you have to wait another week for MWSF - it's the only way to be sure. There might be PM speed boosts, there might be price reductions - there might be a lot of things! Give it another week, see what comes out, and then you'll be in a better position to make the best decision. I have no clue what Apple's plans are for the G4 PMs though....

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

And don't discount the possibility that Apple is spreading its own false rumors about there being no new PM.

Knowing how concerned they are for secrecy and surprising keynotes, I would expect such tactics from Apple
    D

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Very good point, especially from a newbie - I haven't seen you on here before, did you just join? You must only have about 14 posts to your name... ;)

Kay, just got in my fill of sarcasm for the day, thanks for that. :cool:

6. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Sorry, I think Apple has better things to do with their time than spread misinformation on rumors boards. It always amazes me to hear of these conspiracy theories.

The reason Apple is not releasing new Power Macs at the MSWF is that Steve wants the focus to be on consumer-oriented products, like the iPods and the iLife suite. When was the last time Apple released a Power Mac at an MWSF??? Expect PM updates sometime later in January.

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yah, this is a good point - Jobs might just want to focus on the comsumer level products, like iPods and iApps updates. Who knows, he might throw in PM updates, G5 xServes, and new LCDs, but if we remember back to last year, none of those types of announcements were made at MWSF, and instead were announced the following few weeks of January and February, every Tuesday. :)

Although, that being said, the 12" and 17" PowerBooks WERE announced at MWSF, if I remember correctly, which completely came out of nowhere!

8. kman12681 thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you recommend? A dual-processor 1.25 G4 or a 1.6 single processor G5? They cost the same, and i will be running FCP 4 and pro-tools LE almost exclusively. I'm not sure which architecture lends itself best to my needs. Any insight? Thanks

-keith

9. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Go for the dual G4. The 1.6 ghz is crippled in many ways. Check out some barefeats tests. The dual 1.25 ghz beats out the 1.6 in the majority of the tests. And in MP-aware apps, it spanks the solo G5 big time. Seems like the G5 needs some more work on the software side before it truly shines.

When in doubt, go with duals...

10. kman12681 thread starter macrumors newbie

that was very helpful. thanks a bunch. i had a feeling dual G4 was the way to go at this point in time.

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I see your question has already been addressed, but just for reinforcement, the DP G4 does out perform the single 1.6 GHz G5, so the way things are right now, you'd be better going with the DP G4s.

However, once again, I'd wait for MWSF just to see if there are speed bumps. Although a DP G4 outperforms the 1.6 G5, I don't know if it will still be the better machine if the 1.6 gets replaced with a 2.0 (possible DP!) as the low end G5 PM once the PM speed bumps are announced.

12. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

steve likes spanking windows.. i'd say expect new PM's at CES if at all in january. hahaha a pc guy gets on stage and talks about how wonderful things are. then jobs follows and shows them what computers can really do.:D

13. robins2001 macrumors member

say that new PM's are released at MWSF next week, how long would it take for us to see the price reductions / new models actually appear on the market?

i am after a dual G4 1.2ghz, but if they release new PM G5's next week and the price of dual 1.8's comes down then i will get one of them instead...but only if it happens pretty soon, i mean i dont wanna be waiting till march for the prices of the dual 1.8's to drop after the annoucments at MWSF

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Very good point - Apple has been known in the past to announce a product, then announce that they will not be shipping for another couple months. ;) The extreme example of this was of course, the initial G5 PMs, but I believe this was due to the fact that it was a completely new product. With speed bumps to the PM line, I don't believe shipping dates on the new machines would be way out there. Of course, I could be wrong... What was the shipping delay on the new DP 1.8 GHz G5s when they were announced? Were they available right away?? Anyone? Anyone, Buhler?... (sorry, bad joke...)