no powerbook for 3 months - help!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MacUser1, Aug 28, 2004.

1. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

I'll be leaving for college in a couple of days now and I'm quite excited. The school is giving each student a ThinkPad T42 for use for the next two years, then we will receive a new ThinkPad. My main problem is how should I go about transfering my music from my PowerBook to my new ThinkPad? I thought about erasing everything on my iPod, then transferring the iTunes Music folder over to the iPod while it is in FireWire disk mode. But I'm not sure if this would work. Will the ThinkPad be able to read a Mac formatted iPod. I would think so, since all of my USB disk keys work fine. Any recommendations?

Another problem, how will I be able to "cope" not having my PowerBook for about 3 months? :confused: I thought about bringing it, so I would have two computers, but I figured it would become too cluttered and perhaps I just be asking for it to be stolen. I guess I'll just have to make do. Thanks for you help in advance. :)

edit: sorry for posting this in the wrong location

2. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

Windows does not support Mac OS filesystem (HFS+) without 3. party software.
    So to transfer your music I guess you have two options:
    1. Visit a friend with a Windows computer and format you iPod for Windows, then transfer your music to it (it will be compatible with both Windows and Mac OS).
    2. Burn you music to DVDs, which you bring with you (Make sure you burn the DVDs as Windows compatible).

You sure will miss your PB, but I am certain you will live through it.
    It managed correctly Windows 2000/XP is a pretty good & stable OS!

Best of luck! :)

3. beefcake macrumors 6502

If I were you I would bring the Powerbook. They're so small and light it's no trouble to bring it down. You'll regret not having it with you, if only for small reasons. Don't worry about it getting stolen, just be smart about it. Either keep it in a locked drawer, or get a $15 lock for it. I didn't even bother to secure my PB to my desk in any way last year. Don't leave your door unlocked if you're not in the room and don't leave your computer in the library without a friend around.

4. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

reformated the Ipod to fat 32 both OS can read and write to that just fine.

Other choice is just get the software you need to beable to read the hard drive in mac formated I pretty sure there are free verson of it out there

5. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Do NOT listen to solaris

What the hell are you talking about???

I've been able to successfully transfer music cross platform over a network...
    If you use a router, you can create a LAN with other Windows based machines, access their machines via your network protocol, and you can get read/write access to their shared folders/drives. From there just transfer your music...

Now, this may not necessarily work from a computer-computer standpoint but it DEFINTELY works across a LAN connection...

If you can, just bring your PB with you and do a LAN transfer of your files to your new ThinkPad. Then you can use both computers should you need them.

6. MacUser1 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacUser1

thanks for all your help. since i won't be getting the ThinkPad immediately when I arrive on campus, I may have to resort to burning my music collection to DVD and importing it that way. however, the LAN transfer seems like an equally viable option, if i decide to keep my PowerBook up in boston.

7. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

OMG, what the hell are YOU talking about? :mad:

Windows does NOT support HFS+ filesystems, Period!
    Network is a totally different case, because then its the actual OS on each computer that access the harddrives.

I did not list network as an option, because he was not planning to bring his PB with him. So the 2 computers would never be on a LAN together! ;)

8. Felix_the_Mac macrumors member

Why use it?

It is very nice of them to give you a ThinkPad, ... really :)

But you've already got the best laptop on the planet.
    Why not just use your PowerBook?

Think of the pain ... Windows, viruses, anti-virus programs, Internet Explorer, Windows update, clippy ... need I say more?

You will miss the feeling of security that you are used to when exploring the digital frontier!

EDIT: spelling. Just say no to stinkpad!

9. arrowhead macrumors newbie

i think you can just enable FTP feature on mac os x and transfer files over to your thinkpad. also depending on the number of files, you can burn DVD or CD, then copy them over to the thinkpad.

10. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Can't you just return the thinkpad and get some credit for books or something and use your PB? Or at least sell the thinkpad on Ebay? Unless you want to use your thinkpad instead of your powerbook, why would you rack your brain about this other wise?

11. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Well, if you are going to have your powerbook with you, I think I have a good way to do it:
    1) You Thinkpad should have firewire on it (probably 4 pin). Get a fire wire cable (6 pin to 6 pin, that way if your Thinkpad has a 4 pin you can just use your 6-pin to 4-pin adapter that came with your iPod)
    2) Start up your Powerbook in target disk mode by holding the "t" key on startup.
    3) Connect the two computers via firewire.
    4) Look through the attached disk (Powerbook) for you music folder and copy all of the music over.
    5) You're done!
    That is a lot quicker than the LAN option.

12. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah..

Yeah...a LAN transfer would work MUCH better than a superfast firewire transfer. You have to format your iPod to use it on the thinkpad anyway, so make it easy and do it now.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, what exactly are you talking about?

If he wants to use an iPod to do it, then yes, formatting the iPod on a Windows PC will mean that the iPod works on both Mac and Windows, whereas if it's formatted on the Mac, it won't work on Windows because Windows is dumb.

There are better ways of doing it, I guess, but this isn't necessarily a bad way, and the explanation is correct, so.......

14. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Don't leave PB behind!

I don't know how you could leave your PowerBook behind when you go off to school. I can't stand to be away from mine for even a few minutes! (My girlfriend gets really jealous sometimes) I agree with beefcake, take it with you and just be really careful with it. Are you required to use the Think Pad, or could you use your own computer if you wanted to?

15. MacUser1 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacUser1

alright, thanks for all the responses. the ThinkPad is sort of required, and i don't really mind using it too much. :rolleyes: i've been at school for about a week now. i decided to bring both my powerbook and the thinkpad. i basically decided that i could use the powerbook for my photos, movies, music and whatever else i'd like. then i'll use my ibm for most of my school work and also for taking it to class.
    the only problem is finding room for it. i have a really nice dorm room, especially in regards to size. i'm thinking about getting maybe a cheap type of stand to go inbetween my bed and desk that would be only used for my powerbook and it's speakers. thanks for all your help, it's been greatly appreciated

16. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Maybe I missed something, but what is it about the Thinkpad that makes it indispensable to your schoolwork? Is there some PC only software that you need to run?