NO POWERBOOK UPDATES. JUST BUY THE FRIGGIN' THING

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Shacklebolt, May 10, 2005.

1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

I understand that the Powerbook G5, or at least the concept of the Powerbook G5, is the next big thing on Apple's radar. But it simply will not be available for while. For those of you who want to wait until the WWDC, great. It's perfectly understandable. But the P-Book G5 is far from a certainty, and it turns out that you will have found yourself waiting for an extra month when you could have been using a perfectly snazzy P-Book G4, the 1.67GHZ model of which still stacks up quite nicely against the 1.6 G5 iMac. The G5 will happen, eventually. But it ain't gonna be for a while. I just bought a new pbook, and I'm not going to complain when the G5 pbook comes out, because my next computer will be P-Mac G5 MP, whenever that becomes available (who knows - G6?) - even if it's 2 years from now, I'll wait.

I know that I'm hardly the only one saying, "Don't drive yourself crazy, buy it now." But the fact is, as much as we'd like to think that Apple updates every 6 months, it's recently been closer to 8 or even 10. So just buy a ridiculously well refined (after all, the G4 pbooks have been around for a while, and there are precious few bugs with them now) pbook, and don't stress out about the next update.

2. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

This thread should be made "sticky" so it stays at the top. One more "should I buy" thread and I'm going to lose it :)

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yeah im with you on that one, i'm going to have to take a break from MR to get over these "should I buy" threads....going insane so slowly... ;)

4. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

I like that idea. I got my rev d 12" right after it came out. Regarding updates, where do you think the powerbook goes next? It is going to be stagnated for a while. Dont sit on your thumbs, just buy it.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL, this is great. :D If you need it, go buy a computer, enjoy it, live in the moment. If you just surf, think carefully about how much improvement Safari is really going to see when you step up to a G5. ;)

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

if you want a powerful portable mac, get the 15". its a beast. but of course people want "ZOMG BIGGR! FAST3R COMPUTREZ!!1". but the same can be said to people who buy consoles and certain handheld systems because they have better graphics.

i am very happy with my 12" G4 Powerbook. performs brilliantly. i would have gone for the 15" but portability is my friend.

funny, i was talking to some guy this morning... or should i say he started talking to me about how crap the G5 are compared to the AMD Opteron. he said it wasnt x86 :confused: when even the official site says it is... and he also said that mac users suck because they always cause wars about "windows sucks"... when this guy started talking to me?!
    oh the worlds gone mad... AGAIN! oh dear ive lost the point too.

Powerbooks now are brilliant. those who are opposed are probably either windows users or Dual 2.7Ghz G5 Powermac users.

7. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I just got a Rev. D. and I can attest to the fact that they are indeed brilliant.

8. wide macrumors 6502a

G5s are never going to make it into powerbooks, i asked steve and he told me

9. altair macrumors regular

god im so sick of these "im so sick of hearing about "should i buy a powerbook?" threads" threads.

get over yourselves people!!!

:p

10. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

*yawn*

We don't know how long it is going to be in all fairness. There isn't any point in speculating on Apple's regualrity. The fact is that the last Powerbook update brought us 167 MHz faster, which is a shockingly poor speed increase for about 10 months.

I believe, coupled by Apple's retailers advice, that the powerbooks will get to G5 and sooner than we think. Some people think it could be in June, September, frankly it could be 2009, but who does it matter for? If you need to buy a powerbook, you buy one. If you don't, then buy an iBook.

People need some logic here, they really do. Some people I know are making music on an imac running at 300Mhz!! All I'm saying us that if the Powebook doesn't come out, then it's best to make it look sleek, and efficient than whack it out right now to sever all our impatience. We'll only moan about it if it isn't good anyway.

My mind is so numb and braindead I feel like Ive just attended a five day seminar entitled the future of plumbing.

11. tdewey macrumors regular

12. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

dude,

THANKS SO MUCH. <i hardy ever use caps, so that's a big deal for me ;) >

this thread was long overdue!

13. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

New Powerbook G5's with 24x Superdrives and a water cooled case next Tuesday.

I swear, I know someone who knows someone who works at an Apple store who knows someone who works in Apple Support who knows the Webmaster who knows the graphics guy who told him he made a graphic for one. :cool:

14. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

So we all pretty much feel the same then eh?! hehe

hey, lets place bets on the nest thread...I want 6 mins!!

15. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

wait for g5 rev B

the first PB G5 is probably going to fry your balls, i'd wait for rev B, so they refine it (make it run colder and faster and may be get dual cores) so add another 6 to 10 months to the G5 release days.

(remember the Ti G4, it gets very hot and the paint peels off.. although it's still beautiful)

16. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

My Rev. C PowerBook G4 feels like the best computer ever. :D

I can only imagine that the Rev. D would one-up it slightly...

17. zach macrumors 65816

zach

My Rev. D's up for it if your Rev. C is.. let's go!

::cracks up::

18. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

yup i agree G5 isn't coming out anytime soon for Powerbook... I am buying a ibook or Powerbook on June 17 at the latest if they upgrade them GREAT if not damnit but i am buying one anyways...

19. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

OOOHHHH Kinky...

So then PB G5 is a S&M sex toy?

Max. :D

20. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

*Hugs Clamshell*

I know theres a TON of people who *Want* a G5 Powerbook, but heres the thing, 90% of people use a laptop for: Internet, Chatting, Music/Movies, Imaging (iPhoto etc...) and office apps (Office X etc...), and all of these types of programs CAN run on a G3 decently, now i'm not saying that the G4 is overkill, but the G5... i really hope you can manage on a G4 1.67GHz for a little while

21. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

22. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Yeah i look at the theads and there is about 5 i counted at first glance they are getting very annoying. but nothing to drive me crazy. :eek:

23. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I agree, all these should i buy now/ when should i buy threads are really starting to get to me. Please cut back on these things, all you have to do use the search tool on the menu and you'll most likely get your answer.

24. arribadia macrumors member

I'm looking forward to a PB with the new e800 core G4.. or the new dual core G4s.

G5s are NOT the only improvements that can be made to the PB line :rolleyes:

25. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

I know eh. Maybee they'll make Super Drvices standard in order to differentiate them.