No powerbooks in Canada

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by seelab, Feb 13, 2005.

1. seelab macrumors member

I just wanted to let everyone know there are no new powerbooks in Québec. So, the 5-7 days estmitation on their site is a complete lie. I you order a powerbook, it'll not ship before march. I tried to get answers but didn't get any. Maybe, I should cancel my order because I don't like the way they replied to my calls and emails.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Whose site? Which Powerbooks? What leads you to believe that new stock will not be shipped from Apple in time for 5 - 7 day delivery?

3. seelab thread starter macrumors member

Whose site: the Apple Store
    Which Powerbooks: The new models.

I ordered a 17 inch powerbook the very same day they were announced (January 31 st). The estimated shipping date when i placed my order was 5-7 days. My shipping date is now on or before march 3 rd.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Is it really a great surprise that a new product isn't available? Sadly not with Apple :rolleyes:

They really need to work on making products they announce actually available to people!

5. seelab thread starter macrumors member

No, but it's not like if it was a big upgrade.

The problem is not that the product isn't available. The problem is they are saying 5-7 days and it's only when you've placed your order they 'll give you the real shipping date which is not 5-7 days but more than a month !!!
    They told me: "Please note, that lead times given by the Apple Store are estimations".
    Sure, but there is a HUGE difference between 7 days and a month. And why are they still saying 5-7 days on their site ? They didn't answer that question but i guess for obvious reasons, they would sell less if they werw telling the truth.
    I just feel cheated.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Was that the English Canadian model or a model with an AZERTY keyboard?

The delivery currently stated on the Apple.ca website is "Estimated Ship: 7-10 business days" which is Feb 28 for an order placed Monday, fairly close to the March 3 you were told.

It's disappointing to get stoked about a new machine and have it be delayed. I'm still waiting for my Mini 1.42 / 40/ Combo/ Bluetooth/Airport

7. seelab thread starter macrumors member

I ordered the french keyboard. If this is the reason of the delay, they should have told me that. I've called 4 times, i've sent emails, i've been in direct contact with a customer service rep. They were unable to tell me why my order has been delayed. At least, if i knew why ...

When i ordered mine on january 31st, it was 5-7 days. I should have had my powerbook on february 08.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes you're right. I meant it was close relative to the revised date you were told recently.

The French keyboard is probably the hang up. I finally got into the French Canadian Apple Store and the current shipping is "Estimated Ship:10-15 business days" (twice as long as for the English model). So what they told you in January 31 was wrong, what they are saying now *may* be accurate.

Remember that all the shipping estimates exclude weekends, so 15 business days could mean about three weeks calendar time.

9. seelab thread starter macrumors member

If the dates announced are just estimations like they said, i've nor reason to believe my powerbook will even ship on or before march. So, they have no idea when their products will ship.
    Apple over promise and under deliver. I think they should under promise and over deliver instead. It's like when they say the ipod photo has 15 hours battery life. I would be more satisfied and feel less cheated if they were a little bit more honest. I like their products a lot but i'v had no luck with Apple recently (see my post: My powermac g5, 2 months in hell).

I've also bought an iPod Photo and tried to register it on their sitebut my serial number has been refused. Again, i didn't get any answers to my emails about this issue.

10. seelab thread starter macrumors member

I tried everything to get answers about the delay. No luck. Apple customer reps just ignore my questions. I hate this !

I'm thinking about canceling my order now.

11. ltud macrumors newbie

I ordered my 15" on the first Friday after release I paid a little extra for fast shipping and was given: est. build: 3-6 bus. days, est. ship: 3-5 bus. days.

The PowerBook shipped the next Monday (from Shanghai) and arrived in NewBrunswick, Canada on Thursday.

I was quite impressed.

12. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Oh please, don't put us in the same bunch as the europeans when in comes to the french language. We use QWERTY keyboards too, you know.

13. m4rc macrumors 6502

UK seem to be having a similar problem, unless someone can tell me otherwise. One of the biggest Apple Centres in the UK has both a PowerBook and a mini - both bto - on order now for over 2 weeks, and told me, as did the Apple site, 7-10 days. I rang them today as I am getting desperate for this kit now and was told it could easily be 2-3 more weeks as Apple do not have any shipping dates for the Superdrive models (for either the mini or PB allegedly which I don't believe) and there are big delays.

great eh!