No pre-order = No Nintendo Wii?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Astr00, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Astr00 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I live in Norway and would like to import a Wii around the US launch. I know it's probably too late, but I'd like to know if anyone knows if there are still websites taking pre-orders?

If there's not, and I know this question is a bit weird ... but are there any stores not taking pre-orders? Do you think someone would show up when the store opened, buy a Wii for me, send it over to Norway and receive something for the effort? Something like ... the price of the Wii + 50-100 bucks? There should be a service for that sort of thing. :eek:

I know eBay works almost like that, except they charge about twice the price of the console.

Do I have any other options?

2. mac000 macrumors 6502a

im confused here, you want someone to wait 12 hrs in line for you then sell you a wii for 350 when they can sell it on ebay for 350+?

3. Astr00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not exactly. :D

The people selling them on eBay already have them reserved. This wasn't really a serious question, but if there was a store that hadn't already taken pre-orders, and had some units to spare at launch, someone could pick one up, send it over the sea, and get some money for it. I wouldn't want anyone to stand in line for 12 hours, if they did that I'm sure they would rather want to sell the console on eBay.

Any suggestions? Any webshops taking pre-orders now? Is eBay the only way?

Maybe I've underestimated the number of people who wants a Wii at launch, I was under the impression that there would be quite a lot of units, a lot more than 360 units available at launch.

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

5. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

All reports from Nintendo seem to indicate that anyone who wants a Wii will be able to get one, at or near launch, with little effort.

I think the stores doing pre-orders are over-exaggerating the Wii release stock numbers.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ agreed. I was told by my local games store that they have plenty of wii's coming (around 30) and only 2 people have pre-ordered.

They also had plentiful supply of DS lites to negate pre-ordering so if I have to go European Wii - then I will be able to get one.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

My GameStop had 18 people in line for preorders ten minutes before the store opened on the day preorders were starting. We only had 16 Wii's coming.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The joys of living in a rather small populated but large county I guess.
    :)

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

or a small town in a bigger country :) I will be shocked and amazed if the unnamed local gameshop nestled into the hills of Glossop has sold out of Wii's on launch day... week... month.

10. mac000 macrumors 6502a

well heres some good news. maybe u know someone that live in NYC. the manager at the nintendo world store said "/" people that walk-in on launch day will be able to pick up a wii no problem - monday tho - no guarantees.

hope u know someone in NYC!

11. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I think a lot of the units are going to be going to big-box retailers. A lot of the EBStop's are only getting as much in as the PS3, and there are many many more Wii's than PS3's.

12. l4t13 macrumors regular

wow i thought you would just be able to walk in and get one, oh well i got a ps3

13. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

You will probably be able to walk in to get a Wii, just not at EB Games/Gamestop. If you are going to walk in though, plan to do it on release day.

14. myshoeshurt macrumors regular

myshoeshurt

Best Buy's Wii stock is reported to be pretty high. Most stores don't expect to sell out on Day 1.

Too bad there's no Best Buy here...

15. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

I have heard the same thing. I just hope they are right.

16. Smallville macrumors regular

I don't get all the hype about pre-orders and camping out for new game systems. For one thing, it's hype for the sake of hype and a ploy to make the demand greater than the supply.

I bought a DS Lite less than a week after they debuted and had no problem getting my hands on it. Buddy of mine did the same for a 360. I probably won't even look hard at a Wii until I see how well it does on launch.

One thing that bothers me: People keep talking specs and hardware. All that stuff is fine. Me? I'm not into the specifics. I just want to know if it's fun to play. Until a mass quantity of people buy it and use it (usually within a week it will be obvious if it's great or crap), I won't touch it.

So I really don't understand throwing out nearly $500 for an elaborate plot to have it sent overseas when it really can wait a few more months.

17. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

All this hype has made me put my Wii on eBay. The going rate is about ~$600.

With that cash, I will buy myself a Wii, and EyeTV Hybrid so I can play it on my 23" ACD. And I pay virtually nothing in the end.

There will not be a shortage of these things. Plus to make sure I get one I will just camp at a Target or something to get one.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Some people are lucky. A friend of mine popped into town and bought a 360 on impulse a few days after launch. Never had problems with the PSP or DS Lite either. Systems just don't sell well in some places, in my case farmers, footballers and Myra Hindley don't bother with it all!

19. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I've heard that most/all stores will be getting 100-120 Wiis

20. Astr00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies! Seems it won't be too hard to get a Wii at launch after all, I guess I'll go looking for a friend in the USA now. :p

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LMAO. Yeah its the same here, except myra hindley :D