no previews (jpg/mov) in open/save column-view dialogues ?!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by tkermit, Apr 30, 2004.

1. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

hi,

I have recently noticed that I'm not able to see previews of any files (jpg/mov...) in column-view in open/save dialogues... They're supposed to be there, right ? Instead I just see the icon of the file. Does anybody know how to solve this ? ( I don't mean the regular Finder-column-view...that one actually works....I mean the dialogue one...)

thx,

chr.

Attached Files:

2. LANcaster macrumors newbie

Yes, I find this extremely annoying as well. I have also noticed that in the normal Finder view OS X sometimes does not correctly display previews of images.
    In fact this is more or less the only thing I miss from Windows XP; I can display previews of pretty much any type of document. For example it will display a preview of the first frame of a movie clip in Explorer, which is extremely useful when searching through lots of video clips. It also has the capability to display previews of HTML file, Word Documents and various other file types.
    I have submitted user feedback to Apple about this as I feel that it would be an extremely useful feature to have.
    Sorry for sort of highjacking your thread tkermit, what are your views on this?

3. tkermit thread starter macrumors 68030

tkermit

You mean, it's supposed to be like that ? :-o
    because I'm pretty sure that this kind of behaviour has only come up in the past weeks, but not before that...
    It wouldn't make any sense either - why would there be a preview in finder-column-view, but not in the "finder-like" open/save column-view dialogues... :confused:

thx again, chr.

4. LANcaster macrumors newbie

Actually I've just been messing around seeing where this works and where it doesn't. If you try to attach a file using Safari (for example adding an attachment to an email in webmail software) the previews don't work however if you try to open an image in Photoshop the previews work.

The behavior seems to be application dependent and it is really starting to annoy me.
    I'm just hoping someone knows how to sort this!

5. tkermit thread starter macrumors 68030

tkermit

oh man, that REALLY sucks...In some areas OS X has a lot of catching-up to do (Windows IS actually more advanced with movie/picture previews)...

6. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

I've been noticing this as well. All of my .mpegs and .avis preview perfectly, and will even allow me to view them while still in the finder window. Most .jpegs do as well. But none of my .pdf files will preview, at least not the screenshot ones. It is rather odd, some files preview and others don't, some files of the same filetypes will preview while others will not. I don't get it guys. :) Good luck.