Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
Did anyone else here think prices would drop on some PPC Macs? I personally am very surprised that Intel iMacs and PPC iMacs are the same price. I wonder how well iMac G5's will sell now at that price with Intel iMac's right there next to 'em.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
rye9 said:
Did anyone else here think prices would drop on some PPC Macs? I personally am very surprised that Intel iMacs and PPC iMacs are the same price. I wonder how well iMac G5's will sell now at that price with Intel iMac's right there next to 'em.

The iMac G5 will see a reduction, however it will come over the span on this week. Apple is going to take a fair loss by selling the iMac G5 rev C for cheap, and I honestly do not know why they even released it only to be replaced so soon. :rolleyes:

However, they do not care as they made they profit off the G5 processor and the transition time with these losses is expected. ;) :)

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
nope because there are only 2 intels out and still many ppc users hahah
i think price drops will come eventually when the full intel line is out on the market or if ppc sales do bad in the 1st quarter of this year
otherwise i would expect ppc prices to stay right where they are

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
doucy2 said:
nope because there are only 2 intels out and still many ppc users hahah
i think price drops will come eventually when the full intel line is out on the market or if ppc sales do bad in the 1st quarter of this year
otherwise i would expect ppc prices to stay right where they are

Professionals that use PS, Quark, etc...will not be investing into the MacBook Pro or the iMac x86. Reasons being that performance is slow, this of it as running OS or Office in Virtual PC. :eek:

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
2nyRiggz said:
i dont think there will be any until the whole intel line comes out until then this is what we got.

Bless
exactly what i stated above :)

but hopfully the refurbished line will have a good stock of PPC's

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I think this whole "transition" period will see quite a few strange pricing situations along the way. I suppose it's difficult to balance everything.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
mkrishnan said:
No, sadly. That's not the way Apple operates. Although hopefully there'll be more refurbs of the last PPC revs. :D

Actually prices will be dropping on the iMac G5 line, as the x86 iMac are already in the supply chain. ;)

Maybe Apple was smart and holding back iMac G5 supply during christmas, so they are not stuck with a stockpile. ;)

I can see the PowerBook and iBook line dying very quickly, as the technology is so dated, PPC or not.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
If they have many iMac G5's in stock, I am prety sure they will start selling them at lower prices through third party retailers, such as Amazon or Overstock.com. However, they already knew when they were going to introduce iMac intel's, so they may have stopped manufacturing a few weeks ago to make sure there are not that many left by today.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
theBB said:
If they have many iMac G5's in stock, I am prety sure they will start selling them at lower prices through third party retailers, such as Amazon or Overstock.com. However, they already knew when they were going to introduce iMac intel's, so they may have stopped manufacturing a few weeks ago to make sure there are not that many left by today.

Though I am still kinda baffled that Steve Jobs even bothered to introduce a rev C for the iMac G5, what is the point really? :confused:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
maya said:
Actually prices will be dropping on the iMac G5 line, as the x86 iMac are already in the supply chain. ;)

Maybe at Amazon.com. But unless they're demos or closeouts, I doubt you'll see official price drops from Apple.... That's what I meant, FWIW. Apple has really never done this in the modern age, regardless of how much better the thing that replaced anything was.

My guess is that they've been choking supply to their own stores, but that you *will* see some discounted elsewhere.

And a bunch of people still trying to sell them for 95% of retail on eBay... :rolleyes:

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
They are usually slow to repond with price cuts they do it over a week or so. Since the new PB oops MBp is not even shipping they will do it once we have the full powermac line. THese G4/G5 probably will be sold on the Sale page rather than on the main page once the transition of the specific models takes place

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
maya said:
Though I am still kinda baffled that Steve Jobs even bothered to introduce a rev C for the iMac G5, what is the point really? :confused:

Simple icon ;) ... they were trying to push sales for the flagship product for the holiday season. People are much more likely to buy if the product is upgraded recently. Secret mac mini updates any one? :p

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
mkrishnan said:
I doubt you'll see official price drops from Apple.... That's what I meant, FWIW. Apple has really never done this in the modern age, regardless of how much better the thing that replaced anything was.

Um... are we talking about the same company? Apple always drops prices on replaced models. Always. And how could they not? How on earth could they continue to sell 1.2 Ghz 12" ibooks for $999 after releasing 1.33 Ghz 12" ibooks at $999? *Nobody* would buy one except for the 5 people who didn't realize there was a new model out. Any leftover 1.2 Ghz ibooks would literally sit there forever.

The only difference this time is that some people may still want PPC, so that's their excuse for not dropping prices. I still find it pretty shocking though. At the top of the apple store page you see an ad for an imac advertised as "2x as fast" as the imac G5, and a few inches lower, you see that "old" "half as fast" machine selling for... exactly the same price?

When your marketing pitch is that your new products are 67% brighter, 2 or 4 times faster, etc., you're going to have a tough time selling the products that you're denigrating for the same price as the ones you're exalting. I'm not really sure what their thinking is here.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
QCassidy352 said:
When your marketing pitch is that your new products are 67% brighter, 2 or 4 times faster, etc., you're going to have a tough time selling the products that you're denigrating for the same price as the ones you're exalting. I'm not really sure what their thinking is here.

Yeah, seriously. They literally have 15" Powerbook performance "comparisons" on the side that say (paraphrased), "THis is why the PPC model sucks!" but then try to sell it at the same price.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
QCassidy352 said:
Um... are we talking about the same company? Apple always drops prices on replaced models.

My experience has been that they quickly discontinue them. Their online store has no history of selling new copies of previous versions at a discount. They sell refurbs, and they sell closeouts and demos at the store, but that's not quite the same as them offering discounts on the PPC line...

skidknee

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2005
I tested out the 1.83 Duo Macbook today at the Expo, and let me tell you guys...it is FAST. Super fracking fast. From a three minute test drive on it at the booth, it is by far up to the expectations of the next generation in the "pb" line. It was already running 6-8 apps when I got a chance to play wtih it, and I loaded up safari, and it was instantaneous. There was no lag, and the icon didn't even do a full bounce before the page was fully rendered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.