No Price Match for .Mac Renewal

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by New Guy, Oct 6, 2004.

1. New Guy macrumors member

After seeing the article about Apple's new Price Match policy I contacted Apple (first through 1-800-My-Apple, which is not an experience I would like to relive any time soon) through the .Mac Support pages to request a refund. Apparently they will only price match store bought, boxed copies of .Mac because (in their words) "Apple's Price Matching policy does not apply to the renewal of subscription services. The .Mac retail box you are referring to is a software bundle that allows you to initiate your .Mac subscription. That product is eligible for price matching, but the renewal of your subscription, being considered a service, is not."

I am the only one who finds this policy egregious or am I making a big deal over nothing? I am close to cancelling my .Mac account on principle.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Craig

2. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Read the fine print, and caveat emptor. Don't cancel on principle if you really use your account and are just momentarily peeved over them not giving you a discount.

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

where do you see a renewal of .Mac on sale for less than what apple gives you? afaik, only apple can renew your existing .Mac service - so i don't see where the price to be matched is coming from.

4. starcrossed macrumors regular

Amazon has the boxed .Mac for $79.99. How they have that price for .Mac, I'm not sure, since it is how you say a service.

5. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

buy.com has .mac in retail for $75.99 with free shipping and NO TAX!!!!

I never buy anything from Apple because you have to pay tax. Its almost always cheaper to buy from some other Authorized Apple Reseller.

Unless you get the educational discount, but some times even with the discount its cheap to buy else where.

6. New Guy thread starter macrumors member

I've read (and re-read) the price match specifications. I understand that it states I must present the "better price" at time of purchase and would therefore not have qualified for the match anyway. But no where in the specs does it make the distinction between a service and the software to connect to a service.

So, the reason they gave for not matching the price or offering a refund just seems shady.

I am sure a lot of people buying .Mac from Amazon or Buy.com assume (like I did) since it comes in a box that they are buying software. I've also read online that many people have renewed their .Mac accounts through Amazon which makes the situation more confusing.

Like I said, the discount would only amount to $10 so it is not that big of a deal. I guess I was just pissed at Apple not honoring what appeared (at the time) to be a ligitmate claim by hiding behind a technicality.

I'm just 1/2 pissed now. I'll get over it.

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Not true, you can purchase a retail copy of .Mac and use the code included in that retail packaging to renew your service. That is what I did, saved $30+!

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

The Apple online store is not susposed to know if you have .Mac or not, just like AppleCare is not susposed to know to be able to help you with .Mac issues. Apple has positioned .Mac as a seperate "service".

If you really want to purchase .Mac retail box (that you can use to renew your subscription) from Apple, have the Apple Store price match the .Mac retail box from a reseller as if you were a new user. I do believe they must be an "authorized" reseller. Why you would want to do this, I don't know?!? You would have to pay tax on the $70+ price.

Just buy it from whoever is the cheapest, when you click "Renew" it ask for a subscription code and your credit card. Type them both in, and you will receive an invoice page that states $0.00. Simple as that.

Josh

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Evidentally, Apple is not requring resellers to sell .Mac at its specific $99 price. That is why so many resellers are charging much less. I think that just shows you the mark up on .Mac.