No prompt menu in DVD player?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Southerner, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Southerner macrumors member

Howdy there, this is my first post here.

I have a 15" 1.25GHz PowerBook G4 running OSX 10.3.8 and I have had no problems so far.

My mac plays Region 2 DVDs as I'm English, I tried to play movies bought from my holiday to Malaysia, which are Region 3 my Panasonic DVD recorder in the lounge at home happily plays all regions it was bought region-free.

From reading most posts here in the forum, if you insert a DVD in my mac other than region 2 will have a prompt menu asking you if you wish to change region, after 5 times it will be permanently locked to that region, is that right?

The strange thing is that I expected a prompt menu in DVD Player to appear when I inserted a Region 3 DVD, but the movie started to play as normal and I did not have to change the region, what does this mean?

I tried to find what region my DVD drive is set to, but I can't find anything.
    If the prompt menu was supposed to appear which it didn't and let me know where I can find it.

Cheers!

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Are you sure that those discs really have region codes?

3. Southerner thread starter macrumors member

Yep the Region 3 discs are coded, that on the DVD case and on disc are labelled with a circle inside a square with a 3 on it like the rest of my DVDs which have a 2 labelled instead.
    They are not fake DVDs as they were bought at Kuala Lumpur airport and all each have a official Malaysian government sticker acknowledging that the DVDs are originals not counterfeits.

My home PC's DVD ROM drive thru WinXP is not region-free and it wouldn't run when I put a Region 3 DVD in but my Mac does, which is weird I thought there was supposed to be a restriction here. :confused:

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

5. Southerner thread starter macrumors member

I hope it's just luck that I can play any region DVDs, I have tried a Region 1 DVD from a mate but again there was no restriction, my Mac played it hassle free.

There might be a defect in the DVD drive's firmware causing it to fail to detect a region when a DVD is inserted, who knows...

So I am gonna be careful and stick to using Region 2 DVDs from now on just in case I happen to use up the 5 times and then being locked out without knowing it.

Next year I will be moving to New Jersey USA, if my DVD drive happens to permanently lock only at Region 1, I will have to accept that and have my DVD recorder to play other regions.

But thanks though!