no really 15" pb. 1.67 ghz that much better?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by 808, Mar 10, 2005.

1. 808 macrumors member

im making the switch!

getting a 15" power book , but really now,
    is the 1.67 ghz bump from 1.5 that much of a difference to be worth paying a few hundred for?

i will be using the pb as a DAW (digital audio workstation)

i already plan on increasing the RAM...

what do you all think?

thanks

bob, (current soon to be former PC user)
    :cool:

2. andrewfee macrumors 6502

It's about 10-12% faster. Pretty much everything else is the same, speed-wise.

You're also getting things such as Bluetooth 2.0, the Sudden Motion Sensor, and the chance to use a 30" ACD though.

3. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

Actually I think the original poster may have meant the comparison between the current 15" models, in which 1.5 GHz and 1.67 GHz are each offered.

Anyway, here's the Macworld review of the latest PBs, if you haven't already seen it.

4. anjaki macrumors member

I took the trouble of comparing the prices of the 1.5 and 1.67 15".
    And surprise, surprise, the 1.67 is cheaper per MHz (if it's ordered without the superdrive).

5. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Enjoy your to come mac.

If I could I would always buy the most powerful computer available, because they so soon get out dated. So buying a last years model is not good.. Go for the 1.67 ;)

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Buy as much as you can afford. You'll want it later, if not now.

i.e. I'd love a new 2.5 G5, but a dual 2.0 is what I can afford, and suits my needs (exceeds them slightly now), but I will use that processor speed in the future.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The difference is absolutely negligible. I guess you can get the "best" system you can afford, but seriously, the difference isn't worth the money right now. Both systems are good, but they'll both be outdated at the same time.......when either the G5-mobile or the dual-core G4's are put in there.

I love the Powerbooks, but sometimes I feel embarrassed when I mention that the Powerbooks have been updated. I mean, we all know that 0.167 GHz is basically nothing.

Get the cheaper 15" and save several hundred dollars.

8. OwenMan macrumors newbie

at the moment, I'm facing the same problem as well, 1.5 or 1.67?? No i'm doubting to even get a powerbook or to wait for the next big release :(:(:(:(

9. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

woud you be interested?

1ghz 17 inch PB with 1 gig ram
    logitech v500 wireless mouse
    LaCie 160 gig hard drive 7200 rpm
    512 meg compact flash card
    sony drc pc100 MiniDV video camera
    HP photosmart 7760
    olympus digital sylus 400 (4mp) w/16 meg xD card
    256 meg xD card
    Leatherman Charge TI
    ipod shuffle 1 gig (never opened)
    Apple bluetooth mouse
    I am looking to get 2300, obo, or trade.
    please contact me PM or phone or email
    andreas krankl
    andreas@wpi.edu

10. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

I saw a great reply here a few weeks ago along the lines if that if the difference is a good part of your rent or monthly bills, then probably don't upgrade, but if it's just a good night or two out with your friends, then go for it.

Of course if your a pro user and need the system to earn a living, that a different story, but Apple does seem to set their prices relative to other Apple products fairly, if not the pc market in general.