No RealPlayer plug-in for Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jedi128, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Why am I not able to play media requiring a realplayer plug-in in Safari? I have downloaded RealPlayer many times. What is going on?

And on a side note, why are there so many fricken video players? Can't the whole world use quicktime and make my life easier?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Because Real Player is the whore of players.

I just got off the phone with them for the fourth time, telling them to cancel my account I stupidly signed up for a year ago and just noticed....

3. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Unfortunately most websites require RealPlayer to view streaming content.

4. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

yeah, but the question is: why on Earth would most websites use such player in a first place?

QuickTime rules! :D

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Make sure that the real plug-in is in the HD/Library/internet plug-in folder.

If you've archived and installed your system, the internet plug-in folder will have been overwritten although your real player will still be in the applications folder. Try deleting and re-installing it and you should find it works again.

6. grobbins macrumors member

RealPlayer installs an alias to its browser plug-in in the /Library/Internet Plug-ins folder when the player is run (or in the user's ~/Library/Internet Plug-ins folder if the player is only run from a non-administrator account.) Be sure to launch the RealPlayer application once; it should be available in Safari and other browsers after that.

7. Jedi128 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys for the help. All I did was open RealPlayer and it worked. I guess I had just never opened RealPlayer before.......there was no reason to.

I really hate there being three main players (WMP, Real, Quicktime). Why can't we pick one (Quicktime!!) and be done with it. I hate not being able to view video becuase I don't have the right player.....

8. grobbins macrumors member

You can use RealPlayer to view QuickTime-compatible files. It even gives full-screen playback for free, unlike QuickTime Player.