No receipt

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by NinaPooh, Aug 12, 2004.

1. NinaPooh macrumors newbie

Jul 29, 2004
    Hey guys, I just received an email last night from Apple thanking me for registering my new ibook. They also say to put my receipt in a safe place because it will be needed if I should ever have to use my warrenty; however, I realized that I never got a receipt in the box. I'm the kind of person who keeps all kinds of papers, especially when I order something, so before throwing out the brown shipping box, I made sure there wasn't any papers or anything in it. I still have the box from apple but no receipt. I have all the emails I got from apple when I ordered my ibook and on one, it says proof of purchase. Can this still be used as a receipt if something should happen to my ibook, hopefully I won't need it.
  2. micsaund macrumors 6502

May 31, 2004
    Colorado, USA
    Good question - I was wondering the same thing. I also wanted to file my paperwork away for my PB, but didn't know what to do about the "save your receipt" thing... Plus, I had forgotten about it until I saw your post :eek: (so, thanks!)

Anyway, anyone know for sure what the "receipt" that's needed for warranty work would be?

3. Natalia81 macrumors regular

Aug 7, 2004
    On a side note...does anyone know what the benefits of registering your computer are? Are you registering the OS (like Win XP) or the actual computer?

When you placed your order did you not get a comfirmation page with a confirmation number or something?
  4. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Apr 16, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    When I bought my powerbook I got a reciept through regular mail in a standard business envelope from Apple. It did not come with my powerbook, but I don't remember if it came before or after the computer arrived.
  5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    I think I got an email receipt. All that would have been with the computer is a packing slip but no receipt.

Registering the computer would allow them to contact you in case of a recall lets say about a power supply that catches fire or something like that. Or some hardware defect that is recalled. It actually happened to me on my old Performa- had a recall and then I wasn't in touch with the Mac world as much so I was glad I did.

Probably the OS and hardware are registered at the same time.
  6. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2003
    New Jersey USA
    If you purchased it via Apple, yo are safe. Not only do they snail mail the official receipt, they keep electronic records.

You will need proof if you bought at MacWarehours/MacMall/etc. Then Apple will need proof.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I would say that if you save the E.Mail's that Apple sent you regarding the sale of your iBook then you are OK. You should be sure to also print them and put them in a safe place. I'm the same way I save all my receipts.
  8. NinaPooh thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 29, 2004
    Thanks guys, I do plan on keeping the email on computer and printing it out. Also, I did buy my computer directly from apple.